p0170 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
20150701_121428.jpg
20150701_121450.jpg
20150701_121503.jpg
20150701_121534.jpg
20150701_121541.jpg

This is taking some time.

Had a CEL on and had to get a smog

Codes were P0401, P0130, P0133.

I took off the throttle body and plenum, cleaned everything, replaced gaskets and vacuum lines from toyota. put a new valve cover gasket with new spark plug tubes. I had to replace the egr valve and vsv for egr but it runs better than ever.

EXCEPT, I now have a P0170 code that I can't get rid of.

P0170
P0170 - Fuel Trim Malfunction Bank 1

Possible causes
- Intake air leaks
- Faulty front heated oxygen sensor
- Ignition misfiring
- Faulty fuel injectors
- Exhaust gas leaks
- Incorrect fuel pressure
- Lack of fuel
- Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor
- Incorrect Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) hose connection
What does this mean?
Tech notes
Dirty air filter, air filter housing or Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor, or faulty MAF sensor are common causes for the P0170 code.
What does this mean?
When is the code detected?
Fuel injection system does not operate properly or the amount of mixture ratio compensation is not correct
Possible symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Excessive Fuel Consumption
P0170 Description
With the Air/Fuel Mixture Ratio Self-Learning Control, the actual mixture ratio can be brought closely to the theoretical mixture ratio based on the mixture ratio feedback signal from the heated oxygen sensors 1. The Engine Control Module (ECM) calculates the necessary compensation to correct the offset between the actual and the theoretical ratios.

In case the amount of the compensation value is extremely large (The actual mixture ratio is too lean.), the ECM judges the condition as the fuel injection system malfunction and light up the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) (2 trip detection logic).

There isn't a lot written on MUD about successfully finding the problem. The P0130/133 had me thinking that still, I needed to replace my O2 sensor. I did that with Denso but the light came back on. It's always the second time I drive it, between 7-9 miles.

I used starting fluid to check for leaks (with a fire extinguisher next to me) but the RPMs never changed.

I pulled the metal piece out of the intake tube that holds the MAF sensor and sprayed it down with electrical cleaner. I cleaned all the connections with the same spray and put it back together.

I cleared the code but I suspect it will come back. I have a scanner but I could use some help interpreting all the info.

thanks in advance and hopefully we can help some other people diagnose this code.

I

Bolts on plennum weren't torqued down and vibrated loose. Tightened them down...hopefully no code.

Would make sense though.

Couple hundred miles down the road. Took it to the mountains yeaterday and did some light wheeling. All good...no code

1436989044398.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom