OX winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need help with wiring on my winch if anyone out there can help me. I recently ran across an old electric ox winch. Took winch and electrical completely apart and cleaned it all up. It has 2 solenoid switches on it with a plug in hand control. Both of the solenoids click when the hand switch is in one position, but when I switch the control to the other direction, no click from either one of them. When I took the hand control apart, there was a couple of wires that were broken and I don't really know how to attach them. Can anyone out there with more electrical experience than me walk me through the process of how to test this unit and help me find my problem and get it funning correctly. The motor will turn in both directions depending on how I touch the big cables by hand to the different terminals. But don't really know if both solenoids are working properly. Also does anyone out there know much about these winches. Never heard of an ox before, but a fellow gave it to me and I have always loved a challenge on getting things to run. If I can get her to go, I plan to put it on the front of my tractor.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's wired up just like the old Warns. Sounds like it might be.

But I don't know.

Get a diagram for a Warn 8274, check what matches, then think what's missing in comparison to the misplaced wires.

If it's that old, it will be happier once you get it running at all to R&R those tired old solenoids. The contacts are probably pretty nasty. At the same time, replace any wiring that looks suspect at all. When winches sit outside, UV from the sun really works a number on wire insulation.

Good luck and I hope someone who may know something more specific about than Ox than my generic advice does weighs in.

I have a Superwinch OX as well. Mine works and I have all the manuals for it too. I can snap a pic of the wiring if that will help you, or I can scan the wiring diagram. Let me know what you need. This weekend is crazy busy for me so I might not be able to do it to early next week.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Dynosoar: Hey man, thanks so much. If you don't mind, I will take both. Snap me a picture and scan the wiring diagram and shoot them to me. Will be more than glad to pay you for whatever trouble you have to go through. I am not sue what my problem is. I can pull the trigger on the handle to activate the pull in function and get a click, and if at the same time I jump the power wire at the solenoids and go to the yellow terminal, the motor will run, can't remember which way right now but I think it is the pull in function. If I then move the switch lever to the other setting and pull the trigger, I don't get any thing. However, I can swap my yellow wire at the solemoids with the blue wire at the solenoids and pull the switch and at the same time jump from the power wire at the solenoids to the blue wire and the motor will turn in the other direction. I think that it is something pretty simple, but I can't seem to figure it out. Anybody else out there that may have some advice for me, let me know. Thanks.

Dynosoar: How do you like the OX winch. I have never heard of them before and a friend of mine was going to trash this one. It was working when he took it off his truck, but has been sitting up for about 6 months. I have a Warn 9.5 on my FJ40 and am also somewhat familiar with the Ramseys, but know nothing about the OX. If I get this one running, I plan to put it on my tractor. Do quite a bit of snaking logs and tree work and have been wanting one for my tractor for a while but with the economy the way it is, just could not afford one. But, whis is a freebee if I can just get through all of the electrical problems that I am having right now. Take care and thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom