OUR EXCELLENT, SPUR OF THE MOMENT, PLANNED ADVENTURE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TheHardWay

Ain't as easy as it looks
SILVER Star
Threads
So I’ve been over on the FJ40 side about two years now (Zeke – DOB 2/77), and after my wife’s little Bimmer was rearended last July, began looking seriously at replacing it with something bigger. First thing that came to mind was the FJ Cruiser, although I did spend a good deal of time on the 80 and 100 forums (process of elimination).

Last month I found an FJ in northern California on Ebay, that just happened to be in the same town as Fast Eddy. Long story short, I asked him if he’d look it over, he did, took some pix and gave his opinion. I almost pulled the trigger, but things didn’t work out and that opportunity got away. Ed the Prophet said, “That just means there's a better one waiting for you.”:hmm:

Just for the hell of it I checked what was available in Phoenix through Craigslist and found three that looked promising. Two Saturday’s ago we planned a spur of the moment trek to Phoenix, left Las Cruces at 9am in the Bimmer for what I hoped would be its final drive. We rolled into Phoenix around 3:30 and found one of the prospects at a Mini Cooper dealer (trade in). As we walked up to it, I could just sense we’d be driving it home. BUT I still did my due diligence, crawled all over it, under it, drove it around. After they gave us the trade in value on the Bimmer we looked at each other, turned to the salesman and said DEAL.:cheers:

Oh my Gawd, the paperwork, even for a cash deal, was ENDLESS. Sign here, initial there, on and on. It was after six when they finally gave us the keys and we drove off the lot. We had “planned” on spending the night in Phoenix and returning to Las Cruces on Sunday, but found out an NHRA convention or competition was in town and no rooms were available. So we headed back the way we’d come, talking about where to stay (Tucson? Benson?), and next thing we knew we were pulling into the garage a little after midnight. 700 miles, one day, I’m tired.

Here’s what we got:

IMG_0587.JPG

It's an '08, 90k, but Carfax shows regular service at the same Toyota dealer for years. Well cared for. My first choice would have been white, but once I saw this sandstorm I decided THIS is my first choice. Since it’s my wife’s rig, and she likes the bush bar, I’m going to name him Max as a tribute to one of our favorite movies. I’ve already ordered nerf bars and center caps, but have no plans for off road upgrades at this time… but then, you never know how things will turn out, right Ed? ;) Thanks again!

Nice find! Looks super clean and well maintained. Definitely doesn't look to wheeled and it's barely broke in. Have some fun!

AND BEING ABLE TO LISTEN TO THE RADIO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom