"Original Buffalo Skinner" knife

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by BC40, Mar 10, 2008.

1. BC40

BC40

Hey guys,

Picked up an old knife this weekend at the local gun show. I always liked the Puma Skinner but the price tag was too much to justify. This knife looks very similar in shape, though without the antler grips.

It is stamped stainless Solingen Germany on one side, and TruLine on the other. The knife looks to have been used and abused, but no major scars. I am working at honing it and it seems to be a very hard steel. Hopefully it will hold an edge.

So, anyone know if this knife is junk or will it be a decent hunting knife? If it is junk I only have $12 invested in it, so no big deal. Hoping the Solingen steel is good...

:beer:

2. Atticus

Atticus

Pics?

3. informationjunky

informationjunky

Solingen Germany is well known for great knifes....german eye and hubertus are some of my favorites.

4. highlandcruzer

highlandcruzer

You'll be happy with it......

If you're not , give it to me.:flipoff2:

5. BC40

BC40

That is what I thought. Although I recall that with some of the knife makers the price and quality have been on the decline. Hopefully that is due to the fact they are no longer hand made but mass produced, not because the quality of the steel is worse.

I googled buffalo skinner and found that it is actually a fairly well available knife blank, so there are several companies that do the finishing touches and market them as their own product. Most of the knives are fancier than the one I bought. But as long as it holds its edge this one should be a fairly practical knife.

Thanks guys. Here's a pic for Atticus.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  6. flintknapper

flintknapper

The blade looks nearly identical to my Puma Skinner pictured below. The handle is different of course.

[​IMG]

All of the better name knives (Puma, Hen & Rooster, Eye brand) are all made in Solingen, Germany on a industrial "row" of knife makers, is what I have heard.

7. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

Do you think that sheath is original?

I would doubt that that knife is all that old..

8. BC40

BC40

My father has a Puma Skinner that he bought years ago and has stored away new in the box. I've always liked the look of it so when I spotted this one I hoped that the steel might be comparable. The blade is now shaving sharp so I'll see how long that lasts.

I don't really know. The sheath is definitely sized and shaped for the knife, but it has not seen a fraction of the wear and tear the knife seems to have. Sheath looks nearly new, knife looks old and abused. Could be the sheath is a replacement, but the guy that sold it sure didn't make much off it to make it worthwhile.