optima vs odyssey batteries? WHich one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to figure out which battery to purchase for my 100 series LC. I will be running a HS 9500 winch and extra lights. I would like to get away with just one battery if possible. I have always heard of optima batteries however now I am hearing about these Odyssey batteries. Which one would be better for my application? The yellow top is $169 and the odyssey PC1200MJT is $190.

Thanks guys,

Andrew

Andrew,
I believe Photoman, had a recent post on the Odessy batteries.

And I think he has fried Optima's in the past, but then again, He seems to have "everything, but the kitchen sink" :G

Andrew,
The 1700 actually fits in the stock 100 series location.

You lucky devil! The following mods have to be done on a 97 80 for the pc1700 to fit. First bend or crimp fender lip. Next cutout battery box. Drill new battery hold down bolt location.
Sorry will be two posts to keep the pictures large. First picture will have a battery that is the same length and width as the Odessey - The Odessey height will be approx. two inches shorter. Let me know how it works out. I will not buy the two batteries till I'm ready to roll.
Bill

Altered battery box.

The stock panasonic battery on the 100 is 12 inches long and has plenty of clearance on both sides.

I am trying to figure out if this 1700 will be sufficienct for a hs9500 winch without adding a second battery.

I am not into extreme rock crawling however there is some nasty ass read clay over here in NC and I want to be able to pull myself out if need be.

I can not figure out the # of amps required from the winch vs what the 1700 will supply. I am not electrical at all.

Anyone have some experience in this amps required etc.

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew,
Maybe this will help. http://products.warn.com/warn.nsf/pages/TruckProducts.Winches.winchHS9500.html You can always go with the one battery. It's just if you are really stuck and pull the battery down you will have to wait a bit for the alternator to build it up to winch more. As you can see from the chart on the link there are many variables to amp draw when winching. It depends on which wrap you are on and the amount of force required to free yourself. The advantage to a second battery is you can draw it all the way down and not have to worry about your rig starting etc. Also, you can have additional capacity to add extra electrical items in the future. With that said I think one battery would be OK realizing the limitations.
Bill

With that winch it won't matter what battery you have. You'll still be there in the morning. :slap: :nono:

Photo - you're not crying about a lil mod like that are ya. :D kidding.

how about the m12000 ?

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom