One winch for both ends: Copying the land rover 101 setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's an idea that may work, as least for rigging the cable under the vehicle.

If the winch is front mounted, keep the cable ran to the rear and attached to an anchor point.

If stuck and need to pull yourself to the rear, you are ready. If forward motion is needed, pull the cable through to the front.

As long as you have a system that will accomplish this, it should work and keep from having to crawl under the vehicle to run the cable.

under a hard pull the cable will leave deep grooves in steel and other parts .i have seen some military vehicles that used the pipe setup front to rear to run the cable through .i have hauled 21 ' pipe with my fj40 by running it under the frame then securing it with the front and rear winch.so there is a straight shot and could be capped to keep the mud out and make it easy to run the cable .let us know what you come up with

I think the hardest part will be having a short distance from the spool to the first pulley or pivot point. The first pully has to be in the center of the spool or else the rope Will all bunch up on one side.

Pete

There are ways to pull a truck backward with a front-mounted winch - it involves three snatch blocks. This is probably easier than what you are intending to do, and has little risk of trashing your frame. Here is how it is done. But you probably knew that.

It also requires 3 well placed anchors. That's the hard part!

Pete

Why not run a tow hitch both ends with a winch that wil slide in and pin both ends with Anderson plugs to power up.

@ozcruiser mostly side pulls and reduced approach angle. Also I want my winch attached to the front with locking bolts..

I'd invest the money and install a second winch in the rear before running a receiver-mount, personally.

@peteinjp yeah, the plan was set up the removable pulley rig (to redirect the line down/sideways) so that the first pulley was in the center of the drum. This short distance would force the line to pile up in the middle which isn't ideal, but like you said better than all on one end.

@shelfboy1 the amount of cable cutting would depend heavily on how tight the angle of the cable is when pulled over that edge. From looking at the frame it seems things are pretty gradual. Also, if I use synthetic line and have some sort of plastic liner, it may slide along just fine. Need to see how PVC does with synthetic line under pressure.

@doug720 that is a great idea.. And will definitely be taken into account as I work on this concept. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom