One step forward, two steps back (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMThiker

I aim to misbehave
s-Moderator
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Helluva weekend...

1. Replaced a worn-the-slap-out-can't-believe-it-still-worked U-joint. It just started making noise last week. It was a non-greasable unit and these two caps were just full of rusty dust.
attachment.php

2. Dropped the trans pan, cleaned the strainer & magnets, replaced 5qts of synthetic WS type fluid. Immediately cured my shuddering.
attachment.php

attachment.php

3. Discovered my rear ring gear is toast again (appx 6 months old)!! Not happy at all about this. Been on exactly 3 wheeling trips since these were replaced: SCC at Superlift and two events at Golden Mtn Park.

4. Front windshield played connect the dots this morning with the sub freezing temps and a strategically placed pothole. What was once two star-cracks is now a continuous crack running across the bottom of my view.
attachment.php

Helluva weekend...

1. Replaced a worn-the-slap-out-can't-believe-it-still-worked U-joint. It just started making noise last week. It was a non-greasable unit and these two caps were just full of rusty dust.

Wow! (looking for the bug-eyed smiley)
Hard to believe that was still functional. Good thing you caught it at home Rick.

Bummer about your ring gear (again). Who's was it this time?

Not at all. I had ACC setup the gears every time. I just did the grunt work of pulling it and reinstalling it.

Backlash, teeth mesh all looked good even on the last one when we pulled the third and set it on the bench. Painted it up and gave a twirl...aside from the couple missing teeth, it spun within spec.

May try a different brand of ring gear this time, just because. Also considering tightening down the carrier bearing straps a bit more than the spec torque.

My first replacement set (and when I changed to 4.56) were Nitro gears, and they lasted about 100,000 miles and quite a bit of heavy wheeling. When they finally gave up the ghost this past year, I used an ECGS rebuilt third. It's been fine so far, but it's only been running for 10-20,000 miles at most and no hard wheeling yet, knock on wood.

Still hoping I can locate a 2010+ rear assembly, for the easiest bolt-on replacement that allows me to keep the ABS and A-Trac.

I'm waiting to see if end of year bonus presents itself this year...wonder if Diamond can setup an axle with 8.4 Tundra third and FJC outers that work with stock wheel sensors?

Pulled it out on Friday and reinstalled a stock third with 3.73's that ACC Toyota had sitting in their shop. They're going to let me drive with this one until the original one is rebuilt with new gears.

Lost 3 teeth.
IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

what a PITA … its not bad enough that it goes once, but this is the 3rd time(?) … mine was on its way out with about 60km miles on the truck … in Jul I went the ECGS route i.e. rebuilt clamshell and 3rd, re-geared to 4.56 and added a front locker at the same time … tried to make the most out of a bad situation … no problems, so far …

unfortunately it doesn't seem that uncommon for 2-3 replacements … if it happens to me again, I'm biting the bullet and replacing the 8" … it will be interesting to see how you do sourcing an 2010 or newer OEM bolt-in assembly and the cost …
:)

We are now offering this option as a turn-key setup.
See the link here:
Toyota 8.2" Replacement/Upgrade Nitro Axle Housing, For FJ Cruiser, 4runner to 2010 & Newer Style

One thing to keep in mind is the 2009 & Older FJ Cruisers, 4runners, and Prado 120 utilize the 8” which dates back to 1979, and was originally used in 3000 lb mini trucks with 80 Horsepower and 27” tires. Late model modified Toyotas such as FJ Cruiser run at double the weight, triple the horsepower, and much larger tires to top it off. For this reason there have been lots of failures, enough so that Toyota upgraded the rear to the 8.2” on the 2010 & Newer models. It may seem like a small upgrade but there are significant improvements such as beefier casting, larger bearings, larger pinion diameter, larger ring gear diameter, more tooth contact, and a beefier 12 bolt diff case. This makes for an easy swap for your vehicle and will utilize your existing axle shafts and brakes. This is for an empty axle housing. It will also require a 3rd Member, Housing studs, nuts, axle seals (all of which we offer).
NPHTFJC-8.2-4T.jpg
NPHTFJC-8.2-2T.jpg
NPHTFJC-8.2-5T.jpg

Also see this comparison
NITRO GEAR – Diff Comparison, 100-series vs. FJ Cruiser
Ever wondered? These photos should demonstrate expectations of how well an 8” rearend should hold up, whether stock or re-geared. The vehicles are relatively similarly sized and weight when outfitted. The FJ Cruiser actually has MORE Horsepower than the Landcruiser does, yet….

(Same applies to: 03-09 4Runner, 05+ Hilux, 05+ Tacoma WITH E-locker, Prado 120)

At least the 2010+ FJ Cruiser, 4runner and Prado 150 have been upgraded by Toyota…

what a PITA … its not bad enough that it goes once, but this is the 3rd time(?) … mine was on its way out with about 60km miles on the truck … in Jul I went the ECGS route i.e. rebuilt clamshell and 3rd, re-geared to 4.56 and added a front locker at the same time … tried to make the most out of a bad situation … no problems, so far …

unfortunately it doesn't seem that uncommon for 2-3 replacements … if it happens to me again, I'm biting the bullet and replacing the 8" … it will be interesting to see how you do sourcing an 2010 or newer OEM bolt-in assembly and the cost …
:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom