On the HAM fence? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
After another day of wheeling listen to massive static and weak communication......
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B008IYCQSO/ref=nosim/ihco-20
A $35.00 handheld and a license gets you

Static free communication
Less then 1/2 the cost of a cheap CB
No wiring issues or antenna challenges
Requires less space
10 times the range
Ability to hit relay towers
Spotting communication

I can Invite A radio expert to the meeting, I've spoken to him and he would be glad to came by and answer
some question we may have, and clarify the best way to go

After another day of wheeling listen to massive static and weak communication......
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B008IYCQSO/ref=nosim/ihco-20
A $35.00 handheld and a license gets you

Static free communication
Less then 1/2 the cost of a cheap CB
No wiring issues or antenna challenges
Requires less space
10 times the range
Ability to hit relay towers
Spotting communication

I just bought 2 of these when Amazon was having a Lighting Deal for $28 each. They have already arrived. I havnen't played with them much more then take one out of the box and power it on. But they seem like great little devices. Will be testing them this week on the trail.

I'm interested to hear how best to get started.

Zona

I'm now monitoring HAM frequencies thanks to a new Uniden Bearcat scanner for Christmas. Worked well on the trail today to monitor CB and FRS and HAM transmissions all at the same time, bit could only transmit on CB. Still a great way to combine communications on a run and at least know what's going on. It also saved me from following a wrong turn on the way back from Humbug, after the group went the wrong way and then radioed about turning around. I was still in a position to wait at the intersection for them to come back, rather than follow them down the wrong path!

It also saved me from following a wrong turn on the way back from Humbug, after the group went the wrong way and then radioed about turning around. I was still in a position to wait at the intersection for them to come back, rather than follow them down the wrong path!

they radioed on a different channel than the CB they had been on :confused:

Phill was with a friend of his, that is heavily involved with ham stuff , out by Sheeps Bridge tonight. He had asked me today, to come online at 7 pm, to see if I could talk to them. I called the call sign he gave me, using the Mt Ord Repeater. I talked to them for a bit. He was using a cheapo Chinese handheld and sounded like he was a few feet away. I'm actually on South Tempe . just to give you all an idea ..

I guess they set up short wave and was talking to Mexico City, Louisiana and another place I can't remember

I borrowed that exact hand held on a run yesterday and I'm sold. I need to take the test. A few of the guys said that you can get a CD to listen to that really helps as a study guide. I will try and find out where to get it.

I borrowed that exact hand held on a run yesterday and I'm sold. I need to take the test. A few of the guys said that you can get a CD to listen to that really helps as a study guide. I will try and find out where to get it.

Let me know if you do pls

... and keep repeaterbook handy.

No need if you have iPhone or iPad! There's an App for that!! It's constantly updated with new repeaters and deletes the obsolete ones. Includes the PL Tone and Offset settings as well for each repeater. No need to have cell signal to use it in the back country as the data base resides on your device, just select the nearest city.

http://www.freqfinder.com/

Okay, I bought the HAM radio, took it out, plugged in and charged it. Then I turned it on and the screen lit up. Now what?:eek:

Shawn, Please do let us know if you find the CD. I did some quick Google work and found nothing.

Okay, I bought the HAM radio, took it out, plugged in and charged it. Then I turned it on and the screen lit up. Now what?:eek:

Shawn, Please do let us know if you find the CD. I did some quick Google work and found nothing.

The first thing you need to do is get your license;)

Phill was with a friend of his, that is heavily involved with ham stuff , out by Sheeps Bridge tonight. He had asked me today, to come online at 7 pm, to see if I could talk to them. I called the call sign he gave me, using the Mt Ord Repeater. I talked to them for a bit. He was using a cheapo Chinese handheld and sounded like he was a few feet away. I'm actually on South Tempe . just to give you all an idea ..

I guess they set up short wave and was talking to Mexico City, Louisiana and another place I can't remember

Thanks Don for making the time to make contact.

Don is correct, using a HF portable radio (20 & 40 meters) we talked to other HAMs in several places on the East coast and a couple in Mexico and Central America simply amazing.

Prior to making contact with Don, Paul used the same cheapo Chinese handheld to get a phone patch (free) from the Mt Ord repeater and call home. His wife thinking it was a cell call asked why was his number blocked.:cool:

Knowing how to operate HAM gives you a level of communication and safety you could never get from a CB at any price. Then add in the clarity seems to be a crystal clear path to me.

Any interest in a pre programmed Chinese handheld group buy?

IMG_7227.jpg

Last edited:
There is a great pod cast out there that's a good supplement to the book and tests. I'll try to find it and post up.
Good to see more interest from the group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom