? on 80 series locker switch wiring (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm finally getting around to wiring up my lockers. While doing some research on how i wanted to get this done, I decided that I wanted to have the OEM rotary dial switch to control the lockers and the compressor. I want to make it so that when i turn the rear locker on, the compressor comes on as well and then to activate the front locker, the rear has to be on first. (I understand that some people want individual control over the front and rear lockers. Currently, i don't wish to do that and if i did want individual control, i don't believe that the OEM rotary switch will allow that.) I want to try out the lockers this way and see what works for me. If i decide to make the lockers work independently, I will make a bank of switches like i originally had planned to do.

In my search, I found a lot of links to pictures that weren't there anymore. Using the wiring diagram that the ARB compressor came with and Robred's illustration, I started thinking about how I can accomplish doing what i want.

The OEM rotary locker switch has five (5) spots for terminals, of which only three (3) terminals are being utilized. Looking at the back of the switch from RIGHT to LEFT, we'll call them Terminal (T) 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. T 1, 2 and 4 are the ones that are to be used.

Front view-

Rear view -(Top is top of switch)

Based on the ARB diagram for the CKMA12 compressor, I believe that connections should be as follows:

T1- Yellow Wire and Red Wire
T2- Dark Green Wire
T4- Ignition turn on wire

EDIT - I have confirmed the wiring and use of this setup. It works. Some have commented on the use/desire for an isolation switch to use the compressor for airing up tires and or airing up the compressor to eliminate any delay so that the locker can be switched on immediately. Having the rotary dial turn on the rear locker and powering up the compressor at the same time gives me only a delay of about 5 seconds. 5 seconds and then the rear is locked and as soon as i turn the dial for the front, i'm immediately locked. 5 seconds isn't something i'm concerned enough with that I need another switch.

Last edited:
I can't comment on the wiring, at the time it was over my head and I was happy to pay the experts at Slee to do this for me... it's a sweet solution and I still really like it, after 4 years. I realize you're nowhere near Golden, CO.

However I believe you can accomplish the "locked in front only" option by using your CDL switch. Since your stock wiring requires the center to first be locked before actuating the rear locker, you wouldn't be able to lock the back up by simply twisting the dial with the center open. You would however, be able to trigger your compressor relay and activate the front, since that would fall outside the factory harness.

However I believe you can accomplish the "locked in front only" option by using your CDL switch. Since your stock wiring requires the center to first be locked before actuating the rear locker, you wouldn't be able to lock the back up by simply twisting the dial with the center open. You would however, be able to trigger your compressor relay and activate the front, since that would fall outside the factory harness.

2003- no stock rear locker

Thanks though

That wiring diagram is blurry and hard to read at the top. Can you scan and post it?

Also, I think you'll end up wanting an independent control for the compressor. It's going to come in awful handy to air up tires, pump up the air mattress and blow the dirt off your pants before arriving at a hot date.

Did you read through this?

http://tlcfaq.com/main/2012/04/fact...to-control-air-lockers-and-compressor-part-1/

Your description above and his wiring diagram don't appear to match up.

That wiring diagram is blurry and hard to read at the top. Can you scan and post it?

Also, I think you'll end up wanting an independent control for the compressor. It's going to come in awful handy to air up tires, pump up the air mattress and blow the dirt off your pants before arriving at a hot date.

Did you read through this?

http://tlcfaq.com/main/2012/04/fact...to-control-air-lockers-and-compressor-part-1/

Your description above and his wiring diagram don't appear to match up.

Yeah. I looked through rob's instructions. That's how I started. I really don't want a separate control for the air compressor for two reasons. 1. I don't really have space for another switch. 2. Have you ever used a ckma12 compressor for tires? In my opinion, it's pretty slow. (unlike the big double arb compressor ckmta12) Before i had lockers, i used this compressor for tires and i couldn't stand it. I have an additional compressor which is less expensive and faster which i use for tires.

Better?
http://cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_ARB_Independent.html

I've got a diagram somewhere in my files with the modified wiring harness for exactly what you are seeking to do, we've set them up the exact same way in the shop. I'll see if I can scan one tomorrow.

Thanks kurt. That diagram would be great. I was talking with Ben @ slee yesterday and based on the diagram above, he was able to point me in the right direction for wiring it the way i want. By all means, if you have a picture of what i intend to do, please post up as i would love to make sure I know what i'm doing. My thought now is to take the fourth terminal on the switch and connect it to an ignition on powered source.(turn on wire)

I suggest having the compressor on a separate switch so the system can be charged with air prior to engaging the rear locker. Otherwise, you'll have to wait a bit on that first locker engagement and every few times after that.

It is not a long period of time but it's not instantaneous if you have to wait for the air to fill. If you don't want the extra switch, you might be better off engaging the compressor with the CDL since you'll usually have the CDL on when you use the Rear locker.

2. Have you ever used a ckma12 compressor for tires? In my opinion, it's pretty slow. (unlike the big double arb compressor ckmta12) Before i had lockers, i used this compressor for tires and i couldn't stand it. I have an additional compressor which is less expensive and faster which i use for tires.

I have not used the Ckmta12 to air up tires, but I ordered one over the black friday sales and was hoping to do just that!

If the ARB sales propaganda is to be believed, using their air hose will yield better results. Is that what you were using?

They also say "It has enough output to air up four 35" - 37" tires in a single duty cycle and typically airs up a 35" tire in just over two minutes." I'm hoping that is the case. I've got 33s, so if it takes 5-10' to air back up that is fine by me.

Sorry for the thread hijack/tangent.

Back to the wiring discussions please :)

I have not used the Ckmta12 to air up tires, but I ordered one over the black friday sales and was hoping to do just that!

If the ARB sales propaganda is to be believed, using their air hose will yield better results. Is that what you were using?

They also say "It has enough output to air up four 35" - 37" tires in a single duty cycle and typically airs up a 35" tire in just over two minutes." I'm hoping that is the case. I've got 33s, so if it takes 5-10' to air back up that is fine by me.

Sorry for the thread hijack/tangent.

Back to the wiring discussions please :)

The ckmta12 (big dual compressor) is awesome! It's fast. Good buy! I have the smaller one. I also have the arb pump hose, but it doesn't make a difference for mine.

Quick question now that I've finally wired up my switch. When using the OEM 80-series switch, OEM rear locker and ARB front I am guessing there is no way to ensure the compressor is engaged before selecting the front locker. What if I accidentally try to engage the front locker before turning on the compressor? Will my diff blow up and the world end, all in a few seconds? :)

The fog light switch above the 80-series locker switch is for independent control of the compressor.
I will wire a rear locker interrupt switch once I did back in there to wire up the dash indicator for the front locker.

View attachment 904061
Thanks!

Your 80 switch controls the ARB solenoid. When you activate it and there is no air pressure behind it (compressor off), nothing will happen. The best way to wire up your front locker dash light would be to put a ~90psi pressure sensor between the ARB solenoid and the locker. The front locker light will illuminate when there is air pressure into the locker... rather than being tied into the locker dial position.

Hoser - thanks for the info. We'll see just how motivated I get to make that happen :)

I need a switch to turn on the front locker. I don't really need that light to blink and illuminate when I use it :)

I guess I'm not understanding the question completely.

You can have the RR dial position activate the rear E-locker AND the compressor. That way it would always charge the air line prior to engaging the front air locker. You can also wire an additional on/off switch to turn the compressor on for airing up tires w/o engaging the rear locker.

I just had SLEE install an ARB locker up front on my '98. They mounted it and ran the air lines for me, but I opted to wire it up myself to save a few $$$. I don't understand why this is complicated in terms of how to use the 80 series dial. Am I wrong in repeating what Hoser said? Wire it up so that when rear locker is engaged (dial turned to RR) the compressor turns on. Then when dial is moved to FR position, front air locker is engaged. This seems simple to me...but if I'm missing something, I need to know cause I don't want to mess this install up.

Sorry I probably muddied the waters above. @Muddy beam that will work just fine. What you may want to also do as was suggested is to add a 2nd separate switch for the A/C that you can use to turn it on for airing up tires. This way you don't have to engage the rear locker to turn the A/C on to air up. It's not a big deal either way.
All is this is fairly nit-picky anyway...if you are on an obstacle that is tough enough to require one or both lockers, you're going slow and paying attention and it shouldn't be an issue to look down for a second to make sure everything is engaged as you wish.

ok. good. thanks so much for clarifying that. i'm still debating on whether i want to have the compressor just come on with the rear locker or have a separate switch...still mulling it over...

Whichever way you do it just add an extra wire that can be connected later. Right now I have a separate switch for the AC. But I can easily tie a wire b/w that connection and the rear locker switch so that the A/C will come on both/either way. When I hit the separate switch, or when i turn the RR locker on.

Covering all bases. Nice. Thanks for that tip.

So I'm deciding to wire my ARB completely independent. That being said, I wired it up today, ran the wiring thru the firewall. Played with compressor. Very useful for blowing leaves off the windshield. :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407275452.247235.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407275465.113946.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407275477.340230.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407275500.036026.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407275513.178184.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom