OME Heavy with stock bumpers, how's it ride? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I plan on keeping the both bumpers stock but eventually (hopefully) do plan on running a single dirt bike carrier off the hitch.

1) Would the heavies be too harsh for normal driving without the extra load of the dirt bike?
2) Or would going medium be okay with the occasional extra load of the dirt bike in the back?

Bike weighs about 230 lbs dry, so call it 260 with the carrier and fuel.

Thanks!

I am running OME heavies on my 1988 FJ62. I chose them because I like a stiffer, more robust ride and they deliver. I have had the back loaded down, but I have never hung or hauled anything, so I can't answer about the bike. I like the truck like ride, but my wife hates it.

Good Luck.

Will ride stiff when car is empty.
You could throw a sand bag in the back to smooth it out when not hauling the bike. Reducing air pressure in tires a bit helps. Can get fatiguing on long drives.
It will always be a trade off between ride quality empty and loaded.

I just threw heavies on front and rear, for the exact same reason.
The truck rides way better with the heavies then it did with the flat stock springs or custom springs that a shop made for it.

I would describe the ride as harsh but compliant. As opposed to the stock springs which were wallowy and smashing off the bumpstops.

I would get heavies rear and medium front if I were you. I have not carried my dirtbike off the back with the heavy springs yet, but i know that it is going to be a much better experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom