Older grill on a '97? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Someone told me that as long as you have the lower valance, you can use the older grill with the TOYOTA emblem

Now I hear you cant exchange them at all

Whats the scoop?

Thx! Peter

Dunno for sure about the FJ80 grille, but the old FZJ80 grille fits fine without any modification. I have one on my 96 with no other modification. There's a slight gap where the grille meets the sheetmetal under the headlights, but it's barely noticeable.

n0FZQ3a.png

Last edited:
93 grill fits onto a 96-97 ok if you also swap the balance. Some of the mounting holes don't line up, but that'd is pretty easy to work around.

@pdm66 i have a spare '94 T O Y O T A grill if you want to swap. Been hanging on to it for a project but can't bear to cut it up. Let me know if you're interested.

I live in Livermore, work in Mountain View

Ok...just to clear this up...yes you can swap just the grill without any mods but yes there will be a gap and yes it will look correct if you swap the valance over as well. Correct is defined by you though. gap or no gap

@pdm66 i have a spare '94 T O Y O T A grill if you want to swap. Been hanging on to it for a project but can't bear to cut it up. Let me know if you're interested.

I live in Livermore, work in Mountain View

Getting a bunch of PMs on this.
Just to be 100% clear, I'm looking to trade only. What I'm after is the 95-97 "sombrero" logo grill in exchange.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, there is going to be a gap there. The people that say there isn't need their eyes to be checked.

There is a difference between "there is a slight gap that doesn't bother me" and "it fits with just swapping the grill".

You could also get a sweet TEQ oval badge from B Hicks for your sombrero grill and have a sweet stealth look. That's my preference. No gap, no messing around, ditch the sombrero. You don't get the huge TOYOTA across the front, FJ60 style, but I like the low key freshness.

I installed the older grille on my 80 and it fits with no issues. yes there is a gap at the bottom but nothing that a good arb bumper can't fix *cover* lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom