old mountain bike thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1982 Salsa

1982 Salsa. #6 of the first 6 made. Rode it over Pearl Pass this year. At the 35 annual Pearl Pass Tour.
salsapic1.jpg
salsapic2.jpg
salsapic3.jpg

sweet!!!!! That is a classic. Years ago I tried to buy one from a guy that had the original bull moose bars and camo paint. He refused to sell.

I do have #1 of 5 Ala Carte' single speed made in Ca. with sub 110 dropouts. Unfortunately the head tube is a bit ovalized so the bottom headset cup is a loose fit. On top of that it's old school geometry and a bit small for me. I rode it for years but recently I took all the good parts off of it and hung the frame up in my garage.

I am thinking of selling it. I have had it for 30 years It might be time for someone else to have it for 30 years. It won't be cheep.
The bike was custom built for me. I printed the frame decals and the first salsa t-shirts in trade.
here we are on pearl pass last month.
salsa on pearl.jpg

-1996 Intense Spider.

Fox Alps 4 rear shock tuned with custom valving
'06 Fox vanilla custom tuned (rebound spring removed, travel set at 120mm)
front disk Jucy 7, rear XTR V brake
Race Face crankset, Welgo magnesium flat pedals
King headset
Easton monkey lite bar, EA70 stem, Oury grips
Mavic rims, rear Hugi swiss hub, front Shimano Deore hub,
Syncros seatpost, Flite saddle

This is the bike I'm currently riding. My co-workers at the shop call it "a bike mechanics bike". I'm not sure if that's a compliment or an insult but whatever. It still rips the gnarly technical trails we ride and is fast as s*** on the smooth stuff. I'm saving up to "pro deal" a 2012 Trek but until that happens I'll keep shredding on my old scoot. It's fun.
editsml-0296.jpg

that frame would not look outdated on a showroom floor today.

pretty hard to tell from this side but it looks like there is an unused disc adaptor sticking up on the rear.

pretty hard to tell from this side but it looks like there is an unused disc adaptor sticking up on the rear.

I wish. I think that's the skewer you see there. I've thought of welding on a disc mount but then I started researching heat treating 6061 and decided not to delve into that. Then I pondered making a bolt on plate adapter but the machining on the very end of the swing arm doesn't leave a lot of room for drilling and tapping bolt holes. Oh well. XTR V-brake is just as tits as it was in '96 and I don't ever think about it on rides so..........

I'll have to post a picture of my early '90s Gary Fisher Procaliber. This pic is off the internet. Great bike. It tracks like an SOB.

NICE. theres some oldy but goodies in here.

I had a procaliber as well, triple butted steel and all that I sold when I built up a Pro-flex 857 to race for the shop I worked at in HS.

matter of fact when I left and went to college it was way to nice to be rolling to class so I picked up a "campus bike" cheap before leaving. 1995 Fisher Tassajara or Ass-a-jarra as its so fondly become to be known. And if that wasnt painful enough theres a 15yr old kevlar seat that is much more bulletproof than my behind.

Ive been riding it for the last year since knee surger saving up to get back on a modern ride. Cool thing was I had enough NOS parts to rebuild it this past winter while recovering. Nothing like brand new grip shift and a sweet LX 7spd

:grinpimp:
IMG_5163.jpg

Good eye...... didnt realize it was hiding so well in the pic till I loaded it up.
Finally sourced the ferrel so I can hookup the rear too. May finally have to pick a color and make em match as the rear is the red tomac edition. OH yeah sporting the ride on gore tex cable set too :D

It cracks folks up on the trail with all the brand new looking vintage parts.
Like the brand new Kevlar Velociraptor/Primal raptor combo :eek:
It had the standard panaracer smoke/dart combo with frayed sidewalls so I pulled out some NIB IRC pirahnna pro but the corner treads sheared off the casing on the first ride .....oops too much time in the attic

I don't have a pic right now but I still ride a 1996 Klein Attitude. It has a mixture of XT/LX and still rides wonderfully. It has the same team colors as shown in the lower pics and gets compliments everywhere I go.

I am going to upgrade a lot of the parts but Klein uses so many funky sizes and parts...like the one piece MC2 bar/stem combo, etc..

Last time I had it weighed it was around 22lbs with a Judy XC. I'm sure it can get down to 20lbs with newer parts.

Not my bike...but mine looks almost exactly like this. It still looks almost brand new...the Klein paint is amazing.

nos_005.jpg

Bought this beautiful Dekerf not so long ago. One of Chris Dekerf's early frames 1991 - production #155 :eek: Have another Dekerf coming to me soon. Beautiful frames!
IMG_1246.jpg

My first was a 86 Ross XC Sport. No pictures of that one. The second was a 1990 Trek 7000 that I put a few thousand miles on. In this picture is also my first "nice" bike I ever bought, a 85 Trek 620 touring.

my first mtn bike was an 89 trek 7000.. I still have the frame but the rest of it is long gone or broken...

edit I just checked... the front derailleur and seat post are the only pieces left.

Last edited:
No pic. at this moment, but ride a Specialized Stumpjumper M4 Pro. Have looked at quite a few new bikes since I bought it 11+ years ago but just can't seem to bring myself to ride anything else. Guess I'm the same way about bikes as Landcruisers...old is best for me!

1993 Gt

'93 GT AVALANCHE comp series AL
all original Shimano Deore LX everything
Rockshock Jett XC '98
Mavic 230 SBP rims Deore LX hubs
Slowly transfroming to a single speed for beating around town and playing on the pump track down the street

Have a '07 Goose Teocali for other stuff

Wish I still had my '85 Diamond Back Viper With Skyway Tuff Wheel IIs in lime green but that is for another thread
GTAVA.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom