ol' jenny build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More additions

I removed the driver side jumper seat and mounted the Source CO2. The best price I found was from TRDparts4U, also a MUD vendor. $239.75 shipped.

picture.php

I really wanted to reuse the stock center console but held off since I did not want to cut the console. The seatbelt mount (new seats and brackets from Scat) was in the way. But oh well, I did a little cut and trim.

picture.php

And my hood did not lock. So I made some brackets.

picture.php

picture.php

And the Dashbox:

picture.php

And a blinking LED. I rigged the LED to a DTDP switch. The LED will turn on when the kill switch cuts off the engine. Or I can set the toggle to the middle position so the engine is cut off and no LED.

picture.php

I am having problems with the 2F oil sender playing with the oil gauge for an F engine. So I temporary hooked up a mechanical gauge and installed under the steering column. The oil gauge is on the right, the tachometer is on the left. Used the bolts for the steering column.

picture.php

Last edited:
FT8800?

What a battery!

I have so much more confidence what this battery can do! A few days ago I though it was strange that my cluster turn signal and lights were a little low. Then, yesterday morning I though it was a little strange that my battery sounded a little weak when I started the truck. Then a few minutes later I was out of battery power at the Corrales post office. No jumper cables, no one seamed to have them in their cars, no HAM operators near by, friends all in ABQ. Shoot do I walk home and get my cables. Finally at 30 minutes someone had jumper cables. Drove home as parked it for the day. Went to work in my pickup.

Talked to a few people to decide how to start diagnosing the problem. Turns out that the volatage regulator was never hooked up :doh: after installing the new engine back in May (?). Yes, I have been running off of battery power since this spring as a semi-daily driver. A trip down to Carlsbad, a Rio Puerco run, using the winch to pull out stumps and sage bushes on my property, etc etc etc. Battery kept on going without getting recharged.

Ammeter did show a little on the negative side a few days ago. Prior to that, always dead zero. I did not think much about it as I saw no signs of low charge until my cluster lights were a little dim and I had a big battery.

The truck is idling to recharge the battery. I am going to drive into work and get my battery charger and charge the battery overnight.

Currently, at idle, my ammeter guage is approx. 20. At 1300rmp it is pegged out. This should be normal as it tells me that the alternator is charging the battery.

I followed the FSM and all the voltage readings show that I am recharging. Pre-fix tests showed that I was not recharging.

Impressive!

Sorry I never called you back, when you left a message that you thought that we forgot to hook up the VR, I thought "there's no way it would have run for so long," but WOW!

Did we just unplug the VR or something, or did we wire the newer alternator incorrectly?

Dan

Impressive!

Sorry I never called you back, when you left a message that you thought that we forgot to hook up the VR, I thought "there's no way it would have run for so long," but WOW!

Did we just unplug the VR or something, or did we wire the newer alternator incorrectly?

Dan

We wired the alternator correctly. I sort of recall thinking that the little black box under the brake booster was related to smog equipment of some sort; so we never hooked it up. I guess that was a wrong assumption. And I do not remember unplugging it when we pulled the old engine. Lastly, I remember that we were looking at the VR wondering what it was. I guess we know now!

It took the battery charger 11 hours to bring back the battery. Not to bad for a big battery.

looks great Andrew. Couple of questions:

- you looped the straps over the cooler lid. Wouldn't you want to be able to access the cooler w/o removing the straps each time?

- did you screw down your anchor points for the straps or use bolt/nut? If you used screw, would they work themselves lose over many miles of bumps or worse, will they be able to hold the cargo if you flop over?

looks great Andrew. Couple of questions:

- you looped the straps over the cooler lid. Wouldn't you want to be able to access the cooler w/o removing the straps each time?

For daily cooler in/out I have a small cooler that will go underneath. Furthermore, I am used to strapping/unstrapping coolers and gear when I am river running so this is not big deal; just a part of life.

- did you screw down your anchor points for the straps or use bolt/nut? If you used screw, would they work themselves lose over many miles of bumps or worse, will they be able to hold the cargo if you flop over?

Screwed in the footman loops; the CO2 cylinder bracket is bolted in. For the footman loops, I drilled a small pilot hole then added some wood glue before securing. I am expecting that the screws will work loose over time; at which time I will use bolts. If I do flip I have more concerns as I have no rollbar and only lapbelts.

I am used to strapping/unstrapping coolers and gear when I am river running so this is not big deal; just a part of life.

The cooler looks like it has a loop for a strap between the handle mounting points. Maybe you could use those which would increase the amount of usable floor space and enable you to open the lid without unstrapping. You could use turnbuckles or straps.

-Mike-

I played around with the little mounting point on the cooler. A little flimsy. And if I did flip I would have to pick up all my beer rather than sitting down and opening a can. :beer:

The cooler looks like it has a loop for a strap between the handle mounting points. Maybe you could use those which would increase the amount of usable floor space and enable you to open the lid without unstrapping. You could use turnbuckles or straps.

-Mike-

I played around with the little mounting point on the cooler. A little flimsy. And if I did flip I would have to pick up all my beer rather than sitting down and opening a can. :beer:

well, the remedy for that is to get an Engel with a latch-able lid. Even upside down, she'll still keep the beers cold :D

well, the remedy for that is to get an Engel with a latch-able lid. Even upside down, she'll still keep the beers cold :D

I will attest to that.

:frown:

One of the saddest days of my life. Sniff.

-Mike-

no, the saddest was when I put a dent in your door. you on your knees sobbing was a sad sight to see.:crybaby:

no, the saddest was when I put a dent in your door. you on your knees sobbing was a sad sight to see.:crybaby:

How soon we forget. You're right, that was a bad day so I guess Da'40's roll was my second saddest day. :flipoff2:

-Mike-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom