Ol' Blue, my 68' fj40 project (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2fpower

SILVER Star
Threads
Before I get into this, I need cross the line, and admit, as part of my 10 step plan, that I do have a problem. I am addicted, and unfortuately, not focused enough to keep working on one project car.

As they say, just sit right back and you’ll hear a tale, a tale of a faithful ship….. that started a long time ago – too long ago.

I already had started my first restoration – my “dream” DD 1975 FJ. I went to visit another MUD member (techtafab), and on that fateful visit, he opened the garage and showed me the “find” he had purchased from yet another MUD member(onthefarm). Story goes that virtually rust free, lived in Arizona 68’ FJ40. She looked like she had been garaged for a long time. Wouldn’t start, no brakes, no idea if the motor was good.

A few months later techtafab put it up for sale, and against better judgment, I bought her, dragged her home, and placed her in the garage.
DSC03222.JPG
DSC03224.JPG
DSC03228.JPG

After the typical “restarting an old engine” preventative stuff, I checked the cylinder pressure –it was good. So, I replaced all the fuel lines, and put in a temp fuel tank, rebuilt the carb, (thanks Marksoffroad) and some other minor work, she started right up. So, yet another member (mofj40) came over and we replaced all fluids and she seemed like she would drive around the block.

I jumped in pushed down the clutch, went right to the floor. Oops…. Clutch master was bad. Tried to find parts, but they were not available, so I replaced with help from MUD with a 75’ set up. (notice I am now stealing parts from my DD project) Jumped in again, and she drove around the house no problems…. Well, unless you would like to stop.. remember there were no brakes… luckily I have some hills. I threw in a milk crate for a seat and my kids Josh and Anna jumped in the back for a ride around the house.

So, next was brakes. We rebuilt all 8 wheel cylinders and put in a new master. Found two flex lines in stock packaging (thanks ebay) and bought one stainless line from another mud member (Downey) that lots of kudos go to. AWESOME INDIVIDUAL. I will buy from Downey offroad for life.

After all the break work, was able to bleed all, and it worked great. Only issue was that I had one bad solid brake line with a tiny leak. This is old 9mm stuff that cannot be found, so I found a post about how to reuse the ends and make new lines. Thanks to the posters on that thread.
DSC03827.JPG
DSC04077.JPG
DSC03841.JPG

At this point, I was just going to get her running and driving, and be able to enjoy it while I was working on my DD 1975 going. See my other link…

https://forum.ih8mud.com/ks-mo-tornado-alley-cruisers/226113-has-begun.html

So, I wanted to get this going, and clean it up, so I threw in the blast cabinet a bunch of parts under the hood and cleaned them up for paint. Basically cleaned up stuff that was covered in years of grime, that was keeping the bare metal from rusting. The rear tail lights were both damaged, and the metal brackets to hold them were quite rusted. As they are unavailable, I made a set that turned out great looking. I must have gone to every parts store looking for the right size lens to make it look original.

DSC04623.JPG
DSC04035.JPG
DSC04080.JPG

Last edited:

At this point, I was just going to get her running and driving, and be able to enjoy it while I was working on my DD 1975 going. See my other link…

https://forum.ih8mud.com/ks-mo-tornado-alley-cruisers/226113-has-begun.html

So, I wanted to get this going, and clean it up, so I threw in the blast cabinet a bunch of parts under the hood and cleaned them up for paint. Basically cleaned up stuff that was covered in years of grime, that was keeping the bare metal from rusting.

When looking under the vehicle, there was surface rust everywhere. Nothing was done to protect it from further decay. Now is where I jumped in too deep. (DANGER< DANGER) Decided to do a “quick” preventative work on the frame and tub. I took it all apart and rolled the frame out to the driveway and sandblasted away. Mostly surface rust. Found a couple spots to weld up, but really not very bad at all. Cleaned it with Marine clean, metal prep, then two coats of POR15 and Chassis Paint (thanks Rob and Andy) Again, major thanks to Rob - always there when I need a hand, or some motivation.
Picture 3538.jpg
Picture 3563.jpg
Picture 3580.jpg

The tub was a little different; however, when I realized she is older than I, not bad at all. The floorpan had carpet glued to the floor, so the rust was terrible there. I needed to remove and replace both sides, the rockers had a tiny little amount of rust (typical for FJ’s), so I cut out and replaced all the rusty area. I will need to do further rust repair on the back quarters, but again, not that much area.
Picture 3557.jpg
Picture 3572.jpg
Picture 3575.jpg

Last edited:

That is where she stands today. Have lots more to do. The short list is to finish the metal work on the tub, spray undercoating inside and under the tub, do the bodywork to the tub and paint it up. Over the winter, I am going to make a new wiring harness. The old one sounds like a bowl of rice crispys when you move it.

Picture 3582.jpg
Picture 3585.jpg

I should add that once again, I am in a paint color confusion. This was originally white, painted blue, and now I am not wanting to have a white fj, blue was ok, but not quite my thing.

So, my thought is to go green, like the new FJ cruiser green, or go back to the original green, or go with that flat grey look. Any thoughts?

Dune Beige, Buffalo Brown, or Nebula Green. Go with a classic color.

Looks great so far.

Last edited:
Awesome

Great work! You sure make it look easy. Dune Beige or any of the era correct greens would be my choice.

Ex

you da man Kelly
yep i guess i would of never gone that far in to it (it's in a better home)

Rob- Blue was not original, so I am not too tied to it. White was original, and that just is not me. I like the green idea, or dune beige - I think there was another beige back in 68' also. I need to look at coolerman's color chart again.

Exrsa1-Techtafab is the one that makes things easy. I seem to keep making it more difficult. Thanks for the complement. I need to refill the growler with beer sometime, seeing how I could never stop by to get it.

Techtafab- Thanks- I am hoping all your comments will motivate me to actually keep moving on this one.

Kelly

How about pumkin orange? Original FJ color... I keep looking at that banner for TLCA membership thinking that is something you don't see too often.

k

Oh, I forgot to update, went out and welded this am. Didn't set my pants on fire this time.:bounce:

FLASHBACK: When I putting por15 the frame, I cleaned up and painted the inside of the frame members under the floorpan.

So this AM, got the floorpan welded in, the patch made and tacked on for the outside rocker. Next, need to make the patch for the inside rocker. Thinking about por15 inside the rocker first to keep rust from forming.

Hopefully get out and snap some pics for all you photo whores.

so did you go get it ? (want i PMed you about)
i found one more :)

pumpkin orange with oem steelies and hubcaps would look good. I've been meaning to call you but I've been living at work for the past week.

Techtafab. I think if I get one, it would be a two poster. Rarely have wheels on a vehicle.

MOfj40. I am the guilty one. Have gifts for you all, but I have not been able to make time to get over there.

I agree with the OEM steelies with the pumpkin orange..... this may be it. Alghough the pic of the silver/gray looked good too.

pics as promised

Pics of the drivers side floorpan removed, then I por15'd the frame members that were really rust free, put the new pan on and then the outer rocker skin and por15 inside the rocker tunnel.

Also, is a pic of the frame member over the middle that had some rust, so I cut out and replaced

My little girl is helping me, and her reward is to pick a character.....:princess:
Picture 3570.jpg
Picture 3592.jpg
Picture 3598.jpg

Last edited:
passanger side

From there, I went to the passenger side, and cut out the bad section of the pan, unfortunately, the bent humped part that goes up to the tranny tunnel was rusted bad, so I had to replace it too. Instead of piecing it in, I made a reverse mold out of wood and then heated up and bent the piece to size.
Picture 3603.jpg
Picture 3614.jpg
Picture 3609.jpg

I am writing this on Christmas eve. I woke up early and welded in the passenger side pan, the tunnel hump section, the outer rocker pass. side and the patch for under the fuel tank. Lots of progress. Pics to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom