Oil Pressure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My apologies for the re-post, but I think the original was lost in the transition.

I had asked about my oil pressure readings - at idle, the needle sits right at Low, but at constant speed it's right at half. Is the idle reading normal? I'm probably just being paranoid, but I started paying attention to the oil pressure gauge after I switched to synthetic and started changing the oil myself.

I think that for the responses to this we need to clarify some terms so the responses are accurate. I would suggest the following. The Landcruiser has four hash marks on the oil pressure gauge. The first is next to the L, the second at about 1/3, the third at 2/3, and the fourth at the H. I would suggest that in order we call these 1, 2, 3 & 4. Second when stating what your oil pressure is, please list the weight and type of oil you are using, since this will effect the pressure. Finally, remember that oil takes about 10 minutes of driving to get to operating tempurature so for those readings give it time to warm up.

I am running Mobil 1 0w-40. At cold start (outside tempurature 50F) I show oil pressure right at mark 3. When the vehicle is warm on a 95F day, at idle I show pressure right at or very slightly below mark 2, with the pressure rising to mark 3 at 1800-2000 rpms and peaking right above mark 3.

Bderks, your pressure is probably okay, but I would be little nerveous if my pressure were at mark 1 at idle. What weight and brand of oil are you running?

Cary

my post on this subject was lost as well so here goes:
using carys terminology for the markings on the pressure gauge(my lost post speculated on how to describe them too)
my(1996)owners manual states that idle pressure is between 1(L) and 3
"normal" driving is between 4(H) and about 1/8" below 3

now my idle pressure never falls to the 1(L) mark but my normal driving isnt as high as stated either....its in that range mostly but after an hour or two of driving it is definately on the lower side of the 3 mark.....

nice weekend(spent it on the river)so no oil change yet,but i went ahead and bought 10qts of mobil 1 10w30 to try with a new 20004 filter......
maybe i will get a chance this week to change it ::)

Doug,

I would go heavier than the Mobil 1 10w-30. The 10w-30 is formulated on the thin side of 30 and right on the borderline of 10w-20. To give you an idea, 30 weight is 9.3-12.5 cst @ 100c, Mobil 1 10w-30 is 9.8-10.0 (Compare to M1 0w-20 with 9.2, and M1 0w-40 with 14.3). Try the 0w-40, Delvac 1, German Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (Says made in germany on the back of bottle), Redline 10w-30, or AmsOil 10w-30 full synthetic (I still can't believe I am recommending Amsoil).

Using the L=1, 1/3=2, etc.

I currently run: M1, 15w-50 Supersyn

Cold Start: 3
Eng Warm: 2 (or just below)
Freeway: 3 (or just below)
Idling: 2

Bderks - your readings seem low; but, if they have never changed over ownership history, then this is the working range of your gauge / sending unit. If its a recent change - then I would look first at the oil sender / replace.

Joe

Hope this works - 1st picture post attempt

Picture shows OP at cold start-up / 60*F

Warthog,
Attached picture or img link didn't work.
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom