oil pressure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thorvald

Threads
Website
www.pointyhatdesigns.com
whats the normal range for oil pressure in an 80? and how high would too high be for oil pressure? would it indicate a problem and if so would there be many possible culprits?
my 40 and 80 tend to sit a little over the first mark line.
the 60 I bought recently was sitting there until a few days ago when it shot up to between barely under the last mark and over the last mark. Ill be changing the oil shortly in it, wonder if old oil would cause it?
anything to worry about?

oh, and the temperature outside has been around 90 lately as well not sure if that would be of any importance or not. was cooler before that.

It sounds like the oil filter is plugged. I would change the oil and filter and see what happens.

Cary

Might not be a PROBLEM, per se. Check the oil pressure sending unit, they are not that expensive (20-30 US). You might not have to change it, clean it or at least the connectors. Mine was shot, replaced and now reading normal.Cheaper than an oil pump or rebuild.

If I recall correctly there is a known problem in the 60s where the voltage to the guages can fluctuate giving false readings. It's been a while so I can't recall the particulars but remember it being common.

If I understand you the pressure is reading high and that wouldn't be a clogged filter as the sending unit is after the filter and a clogged one would produce a low reading.

What about the oil pressure in an FZJ80? I run Valvoline Max Life and the K&N oil filter. My pressure sits up at the last hash mark before the "H" but under certian conditions it will go to just below the "H" mark.

Mine sits a little above the 1/4 mark at idle, and goes to the 3/4 mark above about 2000 rpm's. &nbsp:Do I have a problem that I need to address?

BMT,

Your pressure seem a bit high, what weight oil are you using? Maybe its the filter?

WOB,

Your right about where you should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom