Oil pan arch seal (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking for answer on the big groove in the number one pan. Does it require fipg? In the FSM it doesn't look like it. I will post a pic.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1431196423.664014.jpg

I'd put some FIPG on it. The little groove falls in line with the other grooves on this pan and the big groove *I believe* is for the engine rear main seal. Look up the rear main seal installation in the FSM and see there's a mention of putting some FIPG on the seal itself. Since you aren't doing the rear main seal, chances are that you may need to clean up the old seal so that the new FIPG can do it's thing.

This is pure conjecture and going off of old memory....

I'd put some FIPG on it. The little groove falls in line with the other grooves on this pan and the big groove *I believe* is for the engine rear main seal. Look up the rear main seal installation in the FSM and see there's a mention of putting some FIPG on the seal itself. Since you aren't doing the rear main seal, chances are that you may need to clean up the old seal so that the new FIPG can do it's thing.

This is pure conjecture and going off of old memory....

According to the FSM, the FIPG JUST goes on the outside groove. I just did this, and it worked quite well.

all this seems too much for me ! and as I originally thought about having a friend mechanic do this , a yota shop I found seems like a better deal ... all I know is it leaks about a quart a week .....gonna have this yota shop scope it this afternoon, supposedly ...

Just had a yota mechanic look at it and he said it's NOT the RMS, cause that area is dry ,,, but it's so wet under the engine that he can't tell ... so I'll degrease and pressure wash it underneath to have it clean for him for next week... he thinks it's the oil pan

Last edited:
Just had a yota mechanic look at it and he said it's NOT the RMS ,,, but it's so wet under there that he can't tell ... so I'll degrease and pressure wash it underneath to have it clean for him for next week... he thinks it's the oil pan

while you're at it, do this too, open up the plastic inspection cover on the transmission bell housing, then use a telescopic mirror and take a peak inside. You can clearly tell where the leak is coming from but you'll need to concentrate. The RMS is about 5/16"" above the rear arch pan seal so try to figure out the source of the leak. Wipe the area with a cloth then look at it again a day or two later.

In this picture the rear arch seal is the area with black goop oozing out. This is really hard to focus using a mirror while laying upside down!

IMG_6768.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you for pointing that out Alia176 ! The mechanic had it on a lift and I from afar saw him with a flashlight and an inspection mirror...so after it stops raining , so I can go P wash the underside of the cruiser, I'll run it by him next monday , and see if he can see the leak ! He did say that the RMS area was dry though, so ...I copied and printed your pic so monday I'll look with the mechanic so I know in my mind that its dry , like he said.

Glad I came to this forum, the info given here is very Valuable !

Last edited:
so I took it to that real yota mechanic and just got the call that its the upper crank shaft seal. They ran dye through it and thats what they said it was ... it sucks not being a mechanic , cause this is gonna be a $1500 fix ... I guess the mods will have to wait awhile. He said for that price he'd redo both oil pan gaskets, the upper arch seal , and tranny pan gaskets as well , then said he's make sure the leak is taken care of and all the other stuff that may be leaking .... which he said the power steering unit may be leaking as well ... It is what it is ...

so I took it to that real yota mechanic and just got the call that its the upper crank shaft seal. They ran dye through it and thats what they said it was ... it sucks not being a mechanic , cause this is gonna be a $1500 fix ... I guess the mods will have to wait awhile. He said for that price he'd redo both oil pan gaskets, the upper arch seal , and tranny pan gaskets as well , then said he's make sure the leak is taken care of and all the other stuff that may be leaking .... which he said the power steering unit may be leaking as well ... It is what it is ...

well, sounds like most of your leaks will be taken care of. Have him do the transmission pump seal. I'd also ask him to do the front crankshaft seal if the cost isn't too high.

ok I'll run by there tomorrow to clarify some stuff with him...

so it was the arch seal, and the rear main seal , and the oil pan gasket and the power steering pump, and someone before me took off the idler pulley, so that was replaced, new belts, all new radiator hoses and new red toyota coolant, and other extraneous stuff ... $2200 ... but said i should be good to go for a long while !

so I'll be holding off for awhile and modding it any ...

that didn't include the jar of Vaseline it appears!!

that didn't include the jar of Vaseline it appears!!

Yeah it was expensive , but I'm not a mechanic for one , and two the clown I bought it from was a total idjet in how he took care of it ! and the cost was about 2 days pay for me , so good enough...Things are expensive also out this way ...

Oil pan just started leaking today. Didnt get in there to see if it is the #1 pan or just the lower :(

20160410_195302.jpg

20160410_195315.jpg

looks like the leak is above the lower pan ... as oil normally doesn't run up ... but could be wrong ... I'm not a mechanic ... , But I do know about gravity ... ;)

yah im thinking thats the above...... I guess we got a weekend of wrenching ahead of us.......

were best replacing your motor mounts while were in there too.....

yah im thinking thats the above...... I guess we got a weekend of wrenching ahead of us.......

You know what, try retorquing the bolts then clean up the mess and you may just get lucky!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom