Oil filter 30002-8T (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

uHu

Bridgeburner
Threads
Anybody here knows the difference between the 90915-30002 and the 90915-30002-8T oil filters?
Does the 8T offer any improvements or benefits?

Anybody here knows the difference between the 90915-30002 and the 90915-30002-8T oil filters?
Does the 8T offer any improvements or benefits?

Are those oil filter numbers for a diesel? Is the 8T for a turbo diesel? As you probably know, the diesel isn't available in North America so your answer will probably need to come from some other part of the world.

Yes it is a diesel filter, the 30002 is available in the US for diesel trucks etc. I don't know of the 8T variant in OZ as my last filter was just the plain 30002, made in Japan by Denso, Denso part number 115410-0161. Where is the variant made, who by and what is their part number?

The two filters look just the same, same writing, except the Denso # which has the last four digits different.
Now I've put the 8T version in place, keeping the old version (without the 8T) as a spare, so I cant't read the Denso number. I googled the number earlier, but got only some russian pages, which I can not read without a lot of v0dka;p
The 8T is what I got last month from the dealer when asking for a filter for a LC100 TD 2001, while the other one I've kept in the car as a spare since it was new, or possibly even from my LC80 1HZ.

90915-30002-8t

Checked the filter I just took off. It's also an 8T version, Denso # BT115410-0840. I'll rip it open one day, what's the best method? Hack saw?

A large cutting-wheel type pipe cutter would probably work well. Similar in action to the lathe.

05983.gif

$16 at the local China-mart.

Last edited:
Hey uHu

Hacksawed that filter open yet?

OK
I'll see if i get around to it today.

- Well, the 8T variety is a bit different from the plain vanilla.
- I see from the images in the link that I could probably pull it more apart.
- The red part seems to act as a valve in addition to being a seal for the bottom filter.
See pix below and compare to http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=23367
IMG_4507s crpd.jpg
IMG_4491s crpd.jpg
IMG_4498 crpd.jpg

Thanks uHu,

If possible could you pull it apart a bit more like the bottom 2 photos in the link?

I am about to by some filters and at first glance of this filter, I would prefer the older model, however, that judgement has no technical merit so I may write to Denso and ask them what the difference between them is, they may or may not give the two specifications but one can only try.

Is the twin element design normal on Toyota OEM Filters for diesels ? Very interesting.

Hey uHU,
Did you pull that filter apart any more?
Denso answered my email and said they could not supply any tech info for OEM filters and to contact the OEM supplier. Maybe I will email Toyota and see what they say, less chance of a reply I expect.

NMuzj100, this filter fits most of the diesels, not sure on others, the twin element design is designed to remove soot I believe, so it doesn't clog the main filter. (Ny belief only)

The idea of a two stage filter to deal with the soot problem makes some sense.

I purchased a pipe cutter like the one above and used it to open several filters tonight. Works great and I recommend this method to anyone doing a filter dissection project. The key is to break in the cutting wheel first (the paint when new keeps it from biting into the metal) and place the flange of the filter up against the outside of the rollers to steady the filter as you rotate. I did it all by free-hand but the process would be made easier by mounting the cutter in a vise.

So far I've opened ...

Purolator Premium Plus L10241
Fram Extra Guard PH3614 (quite old)
SuperTech ST3614
Toyota OEM Denso

More to follow ...

So far I've opened ...

Purolator Premium Plus L10241
Fram Extra Guard PH3614 (quite old)
SuperTech ST3614
Toyota OEM Denso

More to follow ...

So where are the PICS!!!!!!!

I've already said too much before I've done any decent work on the project but pics will follow along with detailed data.

Teaser .... A suprise concern about the Toyota Denso filter

Couple of more pix. (It's still floating around in the garage)
I guess we still don't have a conclusion on the difference. Probably just an updated design. Poss even just because of manufacturing issues.
Any news?
IMG_4615s.jpg
IMG_4616s.jpg

Thanks for the extra pics uHu, now to the direction of oil flow and which part of the filter has changed and why

I am guessing here, I will have to have a look next oil change as I don't have a filter in front of me, nor the oilflow spigot and seals, and I am unsure of direction of flow.
Does the oil flow through the bottom(pleated) filter then through the spiral section and out to the engine?
If it does then I would guess the change equates to a reduced soot level that needs to be removed before final filtration. If this is the case then I would probably be happy with the 8T filter as the filter section has remained the same.
If not, then what and why has it changed?

The red valve is the Anti-drainback Valve (ADBV) this keeps oil in the filter when there is no pressure. Important for units where the engine could be starved of oil at startup because of filter location. Looks like it is made of silicone like other Denso filters.

The black material on the "TP" section looks like roofing felt. What kind of material is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom