Offroad popup camper build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keep it up, this looks great. Where did you source that Fire Extinguisher Niche?

Drew

Drew, apparently they come free with the purchase of a $600 camper.:D

I bet if you checking Camping World or a RV shop, they would have them.

Holy smokes this thing is awesome!

Looking forward to seeing it, 5 days left but who is counting...:D

Tic, toc, tic, toc...:eek:

I've gotta lotta stuff to finish in five days, and that's not including packing or doing a couple PM things on the Cruiser...

The important stuff...

Last night, my boat on wheels turned into a gazebo.

Here's a closeup of the new lift arm hardware.

The original stuff was trashed aluminum arms. These are steel and significantly better built/designed.

My buddy at the sign shop next store hooked me up (the camper's name is "Weezie" as in the Jeffersons)...

Old hitch...

No hitch...

White hitch, Go hitch! (note: I did remove the propane tank before welding.;))

Wow, you have done an amazing job! Can't wait to see it complete!

im not sure but would an rv /trailer shop not have 12 volt c.o detectors .. they gotta have em .. they just gotta..........

im not sure but would an rv /trailer shop not have 12 volt c.o detectors .. they gotta have em .. they just gotta..........

well, my popup has one. So I'm pretty sure somebody out there does.

Interestingly, it also serves as a nifty low battery alarm... :)

Last nights efforts were...

...front stabilizer jacks. Since these jacks are longer they have a little more play than usual in them. The rear, if you recall, I mounted extending out to the sides, so the front I decided to mount extending out to the front. My thought is that the rears will take care of side to side play, and the fronts will take care of fore to aft play.

jack

jack sans feet

jacks, extensions, and feet cut and drilled

painted lock n roll coupler and weled and painted extensions

jack welded and painted

roof LED installed and hot glue gunned in place

last one...front PS cabinet with mitered removeable top completed

Are you planning on putting an awning or screen room at all for it? I don't recall you mentioning a table. I know an awning would be extra weight, but maybe you can find a small pop up shade shelter (like you see at the beach) for a "mud room"/ dining area.

Also, where did you source your axle from? That thing looks beefy!

Last edited:
Are you planning on putting an awning or screen room at all for it? I don't recall you mentioning a table. I know an awning would be extra weight, but maybe you can find a small pop up shade shelter (like you see at the beach) for a "mud room"/ dining area.

Got the original table installed tonite. I'd love an awning and was originally thinking about an easy-up tent or something like that, but it won't be tall enough to clear the door. Maybe somewhere down the line I'll come up with something, but the top of the door is ~9' off the ground.:eek:

Also, where did you source your axle from? That thing looks beefy!

Southwest Wheel Company Steel and Aluminum Truck Wheels for ~$200 plus S&H.:cool:

Right on can't wait to see the finished product! I have been drooling all over this thread all day. (home sick with a sick 15 month old).

Your flying...Keep it up.

I had purchased two twin and one fullsize 3" memory foam mattresses from ebay. After receiving them, I realized that the dinette/lower bed is nearly as wide as a fullsize. So I decided to cut up the full size memory foam mattress for the dinette/lower bed and cut down one of the twins to use in conjunction with the other twin as my wife and I's fullsize front bunk end. My 4yo son will have to do with a Thermarest for this trip until I can get another twin for the rear bunkend.

My mom is making the matresses and cushion covers for me. When I told her my plan with the memory foam she asked how I was planning on cutting it noting that she had had difficulties in the past cutting foam. I told ehr that I read that an electric knife was the way to go, and that I'd probably order one through Cabelas or something. She called me a couple days later and told me that my grandma had an electric knife that she was gonna give to the thrift shop, but that if I wanted it she would ship it to me. I did want it, so she shipped it out. It showed up in it's original box. The "Lady Vanity" is straight out of the 60s. It smells like an electric train motor when it runs. Anyways, to make a long story short, it cut through the memory foam like a knife through hot butter!:D

Here's my new mattress.

Here you can see why this is a factory 2nd as one end is thicker than the other.

The voluptuous "Lady Vanity"

I was also concerned as I approach the finish of this thing and it approaches it's final weight that the suspension could compress enough on a bump where the tires would come in contact with the underside of the floor. If this happened, it could remove the finish on the wood, thus exposing raw wood and having the potential for water damage. So I had some stainless sheet metal kicking around the shop that I cut up and buttoned on the underside of the floor above the tires. This way if such a compression were to happen, it'll polish a little stainless rather than damage the camper.

Lastly, I cut the cushions for the dinette/lower bunk, put them in place, and installed the old base for the dinette table. I reused the old dinette table. It'll work for now anyways.:meh:

Inspiring... you are making this look pretty dam easy.

I was also concerned as I approach the finish of this thing and it approaches it's final weight that the suspension could compress enough on a bump where the tires would come in contact with the underside of the floor. If this happened, it could remove the finish on the wood, thus exposing raw wood and having the potential for water damage. So I had some stainless sheet metal kicking around the shop that I cut up and buttoned on the underside of the floor above the tires. This way if such a compression were to happen, it'll polish a little stainless rather than damage the camper.

bumpstops ??? looking really good

Nick,
This thing looks amazing! Nice work! Where ya headed b4 CM? Also, u staying at BFE?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom