off road/ camping list (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hydrated Lime - Available at most nurseries (make sure it's hydrated, not dolomite)
Barry's suggested use: outhouses, but could be used anytime there is solid waste.
GG

A consolidation of the items on this thread would be a terrific addition to the website, IMHO.

This is what's needed for camping/offroading
n698532010_827664_1576.jpg

fire and water

first time reading this nice,really nice work gentleman",,biffs,i know everyones going to hate me for this but i always carry starter fliud in the truck,and no nor me or my truck is a junky,lol.i also have a survival pack for the walkout if need be. in it three very handy things 50 feet of tecknora "synthitic"3/16 twine stronger than steel for hanging stuff ,repelling ,ice recouvery,tournkey,monkey fist ,etc ive even used more then once as a winch rapping it threw my tires and spinning the tires ,a flint for fire, iodine tablets to sterilize the water cause nobody likes beaver fever when your in the middle of bush.

Last edited:
Some inightful advice from well travelled forum members:

"This is gonna sound way cooler than it actually is, but I spend about half my time living with a tribe in a remote region in namibia. Getting there takes about 500 miles of road, 100 miles of dirt/gravel, then 20-100 miles of 'none of the above'. I needed a truck that'd haul enough food, water, and gear for 4 folks for a week or more. Comfort would be nice, but the terrain and climate are pretty awful - think southern Nevada in summer. My thought was to be able to call for rescue but better to be able to save myself.

Lucky for me I found a nice 96 turbo diesel FJ80. Perfect field truck - tough as tree roots, just big enough, and comfortable to boot. I added a few things but basically left most of it stock. Needed a roof rack (lots of gear), upgraded the suspension (OME heavy), added a bull bar and winch, and a snorkel. I've only needed the last once or twice for water crossings but they made me glad I got it.

So lessons learned. I'll leave off the usual extra belts and hoses - I learned most of that here, reading this forum. I'll also forgo the usual survival stuff, although I will say I'm never without a cheap bic lighter and a good pocket knife.

Tires - Goodrich MT's are awesome, very few flats. Bit rough on the road but it's those last few miles off road that really matter. I started with a set of Geolanders and had over 2 dozen flats, switched and basically had none. This reduced the number of spares I carry on the roof from 4 to 1.

Communications. First line of defense. I always have 2 sat phones with me and they've saved me and a few others. I always have a person or two I can call in extremus, although thankfully that hasn't happened all that often.

Jacks. Plural - I carry 3. In my time I've rescued (and once been rescued) with a problem jack. Not helpful, especially in areas with cats and elephants about. Now I carry several, including a hi-lift bolted to the roof rack.

Tire Irons. Again plural. I've never had one fail on me but a misplaced iron can land you in a world of trouble. I once rescued an australian guy who was staying at a remote luxury safari camp (at 1000 bucks a night) and had decided to book a day trip that lasted two days. Idiots got a flat but had no tire iron, also no radio and little food and water. It was amazing that they managed to find anybody out that way but I just happened to be in the area visiting a particularly remote village when their driver walked in from a region that even my guys call 'harsh'. Lesson learned - bought 2 more irons next time I was in for resupply.

Food. Beyond the obvious, containers inside containers. When the bugs get in (and they will) best if the don't foul all your food at once. I also carry a very spiffy freezer which greatly expands the range of food I can carry into the field. I'm a big believer in eating well - between the shots I got, the doxy I take to ward off malaria (which is a broad-spectrum antibiotic that kills lots of things), and decent grub, I've never had so much as a sniffle. I also brought with me (at some expense) american tents and camping gear - the ones available in africa generally suck. Sleep well, eat well - best way to stay healthy in the bush.

Water. I carry an array of filters and things that turn any water into drinking water. My favorite: a miox pen. I have several, one of which lives in my truck for emergencies. I treat all my water, even stuff I'm reasonably sure is okay (like borehole water). Hauling water is a pain but I've come to see the wisdom of using many smaller containers (like 25l size) rather than a few larger ones. They're easy to keep clean and if one starts leaking, you don't lose a majority of your water. Did I mention that the nearest town is 100 miles away, over the worst roads on earth? When I'm there, my thoughts often dwell on water. You can live a goodly while if the food runs out but a couple of days with no water and you'll drink anything. Be prepared.

Also, if you're not in the truck, keep your doors and windows closed. I learned this when a desert mouse got into my truck one night - didn't even know he was there except that he kept setting off the alarm inside when we locked it up. Took a while to find him but it we kept at it - nibbled wires would not do. Friend of mine got a sterner lesson - he and a truck-full of buddies were zipping along at 80 when one of them spotted a stowaway peeping out from under the dash. It was a 6 foot green mamba that'd apparently gotten in through an open window (people often park under trees to shade the car, and leave windows cracked). Mambas are bad - get bit and you've probably just enough time to call your wife and say goodbye. In this case everybody lived (the snake did not) but my friend learned his lesson.

Oh and, like Elbert, I always have maps. I speak the local, know where the water holes are (seasonal and permanent), have several gps', and I'm known in those parts so I can count on help. But I always carry paper maps just in case.

Two things you might not think of. First, I have a marker in my truck in case I need to leave a note and I want to make sure it gets read. Write it on the inside of the driver's window, it'll be seen. Second, moist toilet paper in a ziplock bag. It's light, doesn't fall apart if it gets rained on, and can be used to wipe your hands and face. Get the unscented kind if you don't want to smell like a baby's ass, which is often very interesting to bugs.

Two last words: duct tape."

and also this post from Elbert:

"the word simply means different things to different people. Basically I assume you want to be self sufficient for some period of time, you want to have a vehcile that will transport yourself and whomever else in relative comfort, you want the vehicle to have certain capabilities, and you want to bring along enough resources to make all of that happen. Obvioulsy you want a dependable vehicle that is appropriate for the geography you encounter...etc...etc.

I went on a 9 month expedition one time....it involved a lot of sun and sand...and (first gulf war)...really the only "expedition" I've ever been on. I slept in a tent for about 8.5 months, sometimes in the back of my truck, I had all the water and MRE's I could eat and drink, I had an outhouse at times and then a shovel at times for a bathroom, I had an outhouse shower at times and then nothing at times. I had one hot meal a day for a while, and then MRE's forr the rest. Hard to get clean hard to stay clean, I had sand and dust in everything and everywhere, I had more flies than I thought would have ever existed. A simple hot or warmed up portion of food was a luxery at times, somethign to drink other than water was a luxery too, at times. I washed clothes in a bucket of water, We went days at times without seeing another animal or living creature (in the desert) we drove many ...many hours /days in the sand and where there was absolutly nothing in a 360 radius for miles and miles. Where you would certainly die if your vehicle became stranded and you ran out of water.

My obersvations on the expdition I describe....the capability of the vehicle is critical (we got stuck many times) but there were a lot of use together with various types of vehicles so we helped each other out. Large heavy vehicles suck in the desert (loose sand) and those with trailers do even worse. Hot food is great, options dealing with food and liquid are great. GPS is a great thing if you have it, otherwise best to know how to read a map. Communicaiton is great..of course military stuff is different that civilan but I would think somethign other than cell phone would be smart to have and know how to use (ham radio). Learn how to be self sufficient, carry spares, carry only what you need and look for clothes and other devices that could serve dual roles, know your supply points, ask the "locals" if there are any, don't go by yourself, know your vehicle and have common tools, know how to work / use all the devices tools before you leave, practice to make sure. travel light as possible, get organized, figure out good storage palces or build some, do some bain-storming well before you plan on leaving, ask those who have gone before for tips / advice.

Obviously you need food, water, the ability to prepare food, the ability to store water & fuel, resources relaed to camping, potentially a heat source, and understanding of field sanitation, understanding of land navigation, communication equipment, maps, clothing, maybe even the abilty to speak other languages, and an understanding of field hygene.

The best solution is the ability to live with the least amount of resources that you potentially can. Would probally be a good idea to do some practice runs to make sure all teh equipment functions as intended and you know how to setup everything in all weather conditions and even in total darkness.

I assume an expidition is something athat is longer than a week or two camping out. The people who are good at expiditons are probally the ones who can live with the least amount of luxery items.

There is no one solution to the vehicle question...all depends on where you plan to go and what you want to carry. I think a person who could tolerate to live pretty minimal probally could get buy in a 4wheel drive tacoma with a camper shell, all depends on how you want to live, how much you are willing to tolerate and what you consider is a good time. of course if you are going carry others with you...what are they willing to put up with and live without.

Military field units like the field artillery unit I was part off...carry their whole world in the vehciles... but we also had re-supply and probally could have lived self sufficient for a few weeks at the time given our resources on the vehcile at the time (way back in 90/91)... dealing with insects is also fun...appropriate headgear with an insect barrier is great depending on where you are. You can tolerate insects on your body etc...but really hard to deal with them flying around and biting you on the face. Water and liquids attract insects.

I think a FJ80 in good running condition would probally serve as a very capable expedition vehicle for most, because I suspect that most people will not be to far away from civilization for that long of a period. Select the right tires as appropriate, winch, bumpers, etc would be a plus, slidders, guards."

Reactions: rrt
Interesting read. I like Elbert's description of what an expedition really is. Stark contrast to what most of the rest of us will ever do. The guys heading to the Chilcotin might be getting close, they just need to get way further away from towns, and spend a month out there...

I am surprise that nobody mentionned a gun on anykind? If I had to walk 100km alone, id be happy to have mine... these little cats n teddy bears we got in bc can easily see us as a walking big mac...

I am surprise that nobody mentionned a gun on anykind? If I had to walk 100km alone, id be happy to have mine... these little cats n teddy bears we got in bc can easily see us as a walking big mac...

Good Idea - we have ordered the following self protection units.:grinpimp:

AA-12 Fully Automatic Shotgun!!! - YouTube

Repost but worth a look

Cute lil thing, that.

But this was a firearm conversation.

I keep forgetting to put this up. Unistrut, a 2' and 4-5' section, some bolts and nuts (unistrut ones) and some of their L brackets or other neat ones.
Why?
Because it will attach, stiffen, hold, reinforce and bridge damn near anything.

ForumRunner_20130521_065830.jpg

The cracked frame on the donor truck, was flexing very badly and had less than 3/4" of frame left.

ForumRunner_20130521_065947.jpg

ForumRunner_20130521_065830.jpg

ForumRunner_20130521_065947.jpg

That unistrut, I would have never thought of that. Some honest to god piece of metal to attach to something broken. I've seen so many pics of
logs tied to axles skidding along behind broken semifloat axles. Good article. I do carry a firearm, but I don't usually advertise, some things better left unsaid.

I usually carry a 3ft piece and 2 x 1ft pieces, a couple of the longer 2 hole L-brackets, a couple pieces of threaded rod (3/8), bolts, unistrut nuts and regular nuts. It's not expensive and you can make damn near anything out of it.

Go Any Where Toilet System (PETT)

I purchased my first portable toilet system in 2011 when I started staying in Canyonlands National Park. Park regulations require a portable toilet. Since then I have been using it wherever I camp where there is no outhouse (most places) and sometimes when there is an outhouse, which is a bit of a nasty horror show. I just bought a Go Any Where (PETT) toilet from Amazon.com on the way down on my 'shakedown' run to Death Valley and Yuma, with the wife. The PETT toilet is used by the US military, FEMA and is proven, well designed, stable on uneven ground, comfortable and packs well. One bag is good is good for several days. Good for kids and the :princess:.

I bought US military WAGG bags (Waste Alleviation and Gelling), which are better than the civilian WAGG Bags, being demonstrated in the video.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom