OEM Tailgate Latches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

G-Cat

SILVER Star
Threads
Toyota no longer produces/sells the OEM driver's side tailgate latch. I know that there is a kit that includes all of the OEM tailgate hardware on ebay for $200, but I am looking for just a pair of latches and catches. I sent a question to that vendor as to availability of just a pair of latches and catches, but have gotten no response.

I've searched the net for latches that look similar with no luck. I remember a thread where someone found similar latches at a Farm and Tractor Supply store...but, again, I've had no luck finding them for sale.

Suggestions?

Hey Garth,

I believe I have a new OEM set of the stationary catches that I'll sell you for what I paid + shipping. Sorry, I don't have any of the latches, but I can tell you how to convert a right into a left. It takes a little effort, but it can be done.

Todd.

did you try Ehsan?

I think he was making them? at one time

I know that Southboston doesn't include them as separate items on his site...I can try Ehsan, but I'd probably be better off spedning the $200 on ebay. I bought KY Longhunter's Bandi-gate and want to get 'er mounted-up when I get home.

By the way, I won $10 from myself on a bet that you'd be the first to respond!

Thanks!

75/76 spare tire latch should work on the driver's side. The barn door latch and 58 thru 74 spare tire latch should work for the passenger's side. The catch from the barn doors could be bent to work on either side. Or make your own. Probably have to source used latch for the driver's since it was only imported to the US that way for two years Toyota probably dropped them. I know the catch for the 75/76 has been disconntinued.

For the Bandy gate, you don't want the stock catches. The stock catches are made for a flush or almost flush gate and the Bandy gate sits out a little from the rear tub.

Actually, looking at the way that the stock latches were used on that other Bandy gate, I would have mounted the latches to the face of the gate rather than the lip that sticks out from the gate. If the latch extended through the side of the gate, you could probably use the stock catches. If your truck has/had ambulance doors, you should just make stationary catches out of 2x2 angle.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I bought a used set from Cruiserparts.net... save a boat load from the $200 ebay option.

They may not be quick on turn-around for price quotes but they usually can save you some money.

By the way, I won $10 from myself on a bet that you'd be the first to respond!

it must have been inside information....do i get 1/2 the cut? :D

heres a pic of randy's (82cruiser) bandi gate on his fj40...pic from cruiser_nerd

you may want to drop him a line and ask for more detailed pics?

i was thinking that taigate would be good with inside latches and the bolt would slide into the vertical member...but...you would be limited to opening it from the inside only.

attachment.php

the bandis had a very simple angle iron sticking out with a hold lining up with the hole on the tailgate....they use a hook to latch them together...the hook is on a chain ....and the chain is outside the rig.

all you would need is a chain with a hook and an angle iron

when jonathan was selling these he offered a mounting kit....maybe he still has some?

B75.tailgt.instld.jpg

tailgate.jpg

here's also the instructions for the install from tlc:

I also bought my OEM latches from CruiserParts.net for $35 each plus shipping, but they are not for sale ;)

Good luck with the project :beer:

Alex

Thanks, guys. I sent a message to TLC4x4 parts...we'll see what they have to say. I'll try Cruiserparts.net, next.

As mentioned before I bought one from TLC in California. It was a brand new original Bandy tailgate in the box.

I sold it to Garth here on mud and went with an FJ40 reproduction tailgate from Paul Pilgrim.

I've got two sets of barn doors. I plan to make one set into a tailgate. I've got a bunch of latches and I plan to reverse one of them by the bandsaw & weld method. Thinking aloud...

I saw a nice set of repro bottom hinges at the Stockton swap meet for $50, but this whole project is far enough off that I didn't buy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom