OEM Sub Tank or Aux Fuel Tank setups - For FAQ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another option is not to use the sending unit in the tank and add a flow switch. With this configuration, a relay (contactor) is held closed by the presence of fuel in the flow switch. As soon as the tank empties, the flow switch opens which kills the relay and the pump stops. I've used this setup for over 11 years without any problems. I could probably dig up my circuit layout but it is really simple design. This is the flow switch I used (ES5-21-AC. .25 gpm). It cost about $25 in 2002.

http://www.iprocessmart.com/erecta/erecta_series5.htm#21

I'm confused. So does the flow switch go inside the tank? How does it get mounted? I like the idea an any more information would be helpful.

The flow switch is outside the tank on the pump discharge fuel supply line. Assuming you are going with a transfer pump setup, your are pumping fuel from the sub-tank to the main tank. The flow switch is installed in this fuel line between the two tanks. When the sub-tank empties there is no fuel flow and the flow switch circuit opens. It is a normally open (NO) switch that closes when fuel is flowing through the fuel line.

Quick question.

Roughly how many feet of 1 5/8" filler hose is needed. I found some locally at $10/ft.

Not sure about the length... its not that much less than 3 ft. i believe, but make sure you buy stuff that is flexible. Otherwise it will be a bizzz$%& to install the tank. Some filler hose is super stiff.

Just to close the loop -- for my set up I bought 2' and had about 6-8" to spare. Probably just enough for a spare.

FYI. The stuff I bought was very hard to work with. It wasn't flexible but the finished product was worth it.

Another option is not to use the sending unit in the tank and add a flow switch. With this configuration, a relay (contactor) is held closed by the presence of fuel in the flow switch. As soon as the tank empties, the flow switch opens which kills the relay and the pump stops. I've used this setup for over 11 years without any problems. I could probably dig up my circuit layout but it is really simple design. This is the flow switch I used (ES5-21-AC. .25 gpm). It cost about $25 in 2002.

http://www.iprocessmart.com/erecta/erecta_series5.htm#21

Good Day

I just purchased the fuel flow switch and wanted to know if you install it after of before the fuel pump. ( My fuel pump is an external one) My pump comes with an oil pressure switch option and will use the fuel flow switch instead.

Regards,

Good Day

I just purchased the fuel flow switch and wanted to know if you install it after of before the fuel pump. ( My fuel pump is an external one) My pump comes with an oil pressure switch option and will use the fuel flow switch instead.

Regards,

Could you post a picture and part number please. This is my next major mod and I'm still have to purchase the transfer pump and now this flow switch - great soluton

Oops, just read the thread a little better - part is right there from 1FZJ80

Hello guys. I'm going to recontinue with this project. I have almost all the parts right installed in the car or at home. I need to get a transfer pump yet.....and I don't find any toyota. I would like to get other kind but need to know some data..... what pressure ? And what is the minimun recomend transfer ratio. Any brand or link will be very happy. Thanks.

You can use a simple fuel pump. Remember the fuel from the aux tank transfers into the main tank . Most of us used the $50 Napa fuel pump and it transfers at 20 mins to get all the aux fuel into the main. Pump shuts off if you use the ecu. If no ecu, keep a ear on it

I have a Toyota transfer pump available if you're interested that came with my subtank kit. Not sure how much it would cost to ship to Ecuador, however. I also went with the NAPA pump. Napa part # AFP E8153

I'm in the middle of installing the tank and running the wiring to the switch/ECU as well as the fuel lines and tee right now. If you have any questions, post them up!

I have a Toyota transfer pump available if you're interested that came with my subtank kit. Not sure how much it would cost to ship to Ecuador, however. I also went with the NAPA pump. Napa part # AFP ]

Send me please some photos to nacho.osx@Gmail.com and we speak about this pump. Thanks.

Can someone help me with a OEM diagram of the hoses for the gasoline between both tanks etc. I have some pieces right now installed in a car I get and I'm in the process of put it working but I see 2 solenoids and don't understand why. A simple diagram will help me a lot.

Well right now all the electric and hoses areally installed. The only problem I have is a sender with only 2 cables. One is mass and the other have always 12v. I believe the sender is bad. But....I have seen some sender with 3 cables. What's is better a 2 o 3 model. I have a George ecu installed....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom