OEM parts gurus - dimensions/pics of stock rear muffler 1978 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys

As part of my resto I am recreating the OEM exhaust system as closely as I can, albeit with extractors up front.

Part of this means sourcing a muffler that closely resembles the OEM item. Would anyone be able to provide basic dimensions (length x diameter) of the stock rear muffler, and perhaps some good pics to show mounting orientation?

From memory the muffler is offset entry/central exit?

Any help appreciated!

The available later muffler is very similar to the unavailable one you want for '78. You'd just have to weld a pipe to it, or live with the minor difference.

Diagrams from Specter Off-Road, Land Cruiser Parts and Accessories

'75-'78:

046B.gif

'79 and later:

046C.gif

I have a Toyota muffler and tailpipe for my 82 sitting at my dealer now waiting for me to pick up...be a few days, but be happy to take pic. the original is still in decent shape.....but the tailpipe looks bad, so before my parts guy retires in a week......I am making a rather large order..;)

The later muffler is still available here in the US market.

Thanks beno I was hoping you might chime in!

Can you confirm the current p/n is 17430-61120? A cursory look at the EPC/Google tells me it has been superseded a couple of times over the years.

Local dealers can give me no joy on the above p/n - I will drop you an email to discuss :)

I have a Toyota muffler and tailpipe for my 82 sitting at my dealer now waiting for me to pick up...be a few days, but be happy to take pic. the original is still in decent shape.....but the tailpipe looks bad, so before my parts guy retires in a week......I am making a rather large order..;)

Thanks mate. It would be great if you could post the length/diameter of the muffler, as well as the inlet/outlet pipe diameter!

Thanks beno I was hoping you might chime in!

Can you confirm the current p/n is 17430-61120? A cursory look at the EPC/Google tells me it has been superseded a couple of times over the years.

Local dealers can give me no joy on the above p/n - I will drop you an email to discuss :)

That is correct sir. I will get pics of the part later today. I can measure whatever you might need as well.

That is correct sir. I will get pics of the part later today. I can measure whatever you might need as well.

Fantastic - many thanks for the detailed measurements.

I rather want one now, I think it would finish off the resto perfectly. Just in case it is prohibitive to have one shipped - were you able to advise the length of the main muffler section?

Cheers

I really need to read more often before I take pics, Beno beat me to it.

BTW, its a heavy bugger for just a muffler and tailpipe

I really need to read more often before I take pics, Beno beat me to it.

BTW, its a heavy bugger for just a muffler and tailpipe

Nice pic! Any chance you could measure the length of the muffler can itself?

19 5/8th inch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom