1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OEM hand throttle

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Keep, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Keep

Keep

Been thinking about installing the toyota OEM hand throttle, but I understand some 80s supported it out of the box, some required additional hardware.  So, I ask the local Cruiser gods  :bow:.... What do I look for to determine which I've got?   [​IMG]

PS, I like the new smileys.  :beer: But the [​IMG] one actually posts :dunno:.

2. Hltoppr

Hltoppr SILVER Star

Media:
    Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
    Keep, as I understand it you need to see if there is a bracket attached to the gas pedal assembly. Some US 80s came with this bracket that the OEM hand throttle plugs into, some did not. Look under the dash at the gas pedal. If you have a black bracket sticking out from the top of the pedal assembly, you're in luck! Otherwise, I think :bow: Christo might be able to help, so I'd drop him a line.

-H-

3. Jim_Phillips

Jim_Phillips

Keep

I've got a hand throttle and a digital camera. Let me know if you would like some pics of how it all fits together. It will be tomorrow before I can do anything, but let me know...

Cheers, Jim :beer:

4. Rogue

Rogue

If you do have the bracket it is possible to install the throttle in under 15 minutes.  It was a very simple install and I am glad I got one when I did.  It came in handy while I was winching out a couple weeks back.  

I have mine set to run the motor at 3k RPM in neutral.  It works very well, and my 9 year old battery hasn't started to sputter yet.  Soon I expect that it will die on its own. :cry:  

Next upgrade:   :bow: Optima...

5. Hltoppr

Hltoppr SILVER Star

Media:
    Rogue, one of my friends just picked up a Red Top Optima from one of the Batteries Plus stores for $119. You might want to check the local yellow pages and see if you can find that deal up where you are.

-H-

6. Rogue

Rogue

If I had $119 I would look into it. I am a poor college kid. Maybe this summer I will get a job and get some more goodies.

The whole winch ordeal set me back quite a bit and I am now needing a loan to pay for this coming term.

Anyone want to help another Cruiserhead? :tear:

7. Keep

Keep

Just ordered the hand throttle. Thank you for the assistance gents.

8. Hltoppr

Hltoppr SILVER Star

Media:
    Keep, I think I'm following your lead shortly. Rogue, c'mon man, sell some plasma or collect aluminum cans from the next party....You're becoming the educated part of society; figure something out! :D :eek:

Believe in yourself, you can do it!

-H-

(We need the Jester smiley....Woody?)

9. 77fj40

77fj40

fyi:
    optimas are $102 at costco

10. Rogue

Rogue

H,

Both of those options don't work for me. My plasma is no good and I don't party. :-[

Donations please? :tear:

11. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Actually I'm nothing more than a poor high school kid, but I may be able to get you a slightly used red top for nothing more than shipping.... A friend of mine accidentally broke one of the top posts off, you can just buy some aux posts to screw in the side and use those. If you pay shipping I'll check with him to get it. Where are you?

12. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Supporting Vendor Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Crusin,

Shipping would be a bear as batteries are considered hazardous materials and require special handling to be shipped safely and legally...It would cost more than the price of a new battery to ship it.......Unless you cheated....don't get caught, the fines would blow your mind....

Regards.. Dan :beer: