Wanted OEM FST windshield channel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FixedIt

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all! I am searching for an OEM FST windshield channel, used as the front attachment point of a factory soft top. This is different than the Besttop "Tiger" channel because my Trollhole top uses a rope, not a plastic stay.

Hope you can help me out!

Thanks,

Dave

the oem channel was welded to the windshield frame. look for an old school kayline top retainer. they used rope. very early besttop may have also, but i know they used the weird flat channel at least as early as 89

Wow melon, I did not know that! Thanks for the info. I may modify the one I have from Trollhole. It has some sharp corners that need some attention.

Thanks again.

if you end up tearing the canvas that the rope is in on the channel, upholstery shops have a plastic version of the rope channel that won't be affected by the metal corners. they can sew it in in place of the rope channel. that's what i did years ago when the fabric holding my rope channel on my paki top disintegrated

the oem channel was welded to the windshield frame. look for an old school kayline top retainer. they used rope. very early besttop may have also, but i know they used the weird flat channel at least as early as 89

Is the fst windshield channel attached to the frame on early models only? I have a 1972 fst model that came with the original top. It came with the windshield channel and it is not welded to the frame. (58313 rail in the diagram)
Here is the link to one I sold Fast Eddy earlier this year.
For Sale: - Oem Factory Soft Top Windshield Channel
fst channel pic.gif

Last edited:
That looks perfect! Anyone know if the mounting holes match up to the captured nuts in the windshield frame?

That looks perfect! Anyone know if the mounting holes match up to the captured nuts in the windshield frame?
nope. gotta figure out where they are and drill new holes

I'm thinking of using nutserts. I also installed a strip of steel raised by washers on the top of the windshield, then cut reliefs in the soft top retainer to slide in and out to make it easier to remove the top.

Or you could drill new holes in the TPI piece to match the OEM captured nuts...

Close, but no cigar. The problems with the aluminum channel are two. One, it is rigid. It doesn't like to be arc-ed. Two, it comes in two pieces.

The threaded holes are insufficient to contour the two piece channel to the frame. I use the threaded holes supplemented with four sheet metal screws, one at each end, and two where the halves meet.

Mark

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your input.

I've got Trollhole's channel now, which is a boxed channel. I'm concerned the outer corners of the top are under a little stress since the channel has "prominent corners". Debating my next step.

Close, but no cigar. The problems with the aluminum channel are two. One, it is rigid. It doesn't like to be arc-ed. Two, it comes in two pieces.

The threaded holes are insufficient to contour the two piece channel to the frame. I use the threaded holes supplemented with four sheet metal screws, one at each end, and two where the halves meet.

Mark
Not to mention that the holes will eventually strip out if you remove the top a few times.
There are no threaded inserts on the top of my windshield.

Not to mention that the holes will eventually strip out if you remove the top a few times.

Define eventually. My sheetmetal screws are still hlding after 20plus years. And I started with #6, figuring I could move up to a #8 when that didn't work any more. And then a #10. By the decade when the #10 doesn't work, my nutsert hole will already be there!:lol::lol::lol:

The welded ones were not boxed like the later bolt on style. Not sure when bolt on style replaced welded ones just know 67 was bolted on with earlier simple style.

I'm thinking of using nutserts. I also installed a strip of steel raised by washers on the top of the windshield, then cut reliefs in the soft top retainer to slide in and out to make it easier to remove the top.

Not to mention that the holes will eventually strip out if you remove the top a few times.d the holes

Not sure when but Toyota stopped installing welded nuts in all windshields in the US market. Late seventies early eighties FJ40 windshields had holes but not the welded nuts. Nutserts are good option since Toyota at least provided the holes in he correct location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom