OEM FJ40 roll bars (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Whats the difference betwen the black and grey in color roll bars? are they different in shape? what years? anybody?

The color white.:D

I believe 9/73 (74 model year) the black rollbar started in the US market. I've believe but never checked to be sure starting on 9/76 (77 model year) the side rails got a little longer to gain access to the latch on the rear vent windows. 9/77 (78 model year) the brackets for the three point seat belts were added to the base of the roll bar. 1/79 (79 model year) the roll bar went to grey from black.

I've swapped a stock 74 roll bar for a newer 77 bar. I didn't have any problems with the hole spacing... Therefor I believe the side rails are the same length, but the bend has a smaller radius to clear the latch for the rear windows.

Thanks guys :cheers:

My 12/79 roll at ha same dimensions as the 77. I just put it on my 7/77.

77 was black
79 is grey with seatbelt mount. On the bar instead of on the hard top. Also there are bolts that another difference is an additional bolt connecting the sidebars to the hoop which keeps them from pivoting.

I recommend finding a late model bar for the seatbelt feature.

I've swapped a stock 74 roll bar for a newer 77 bar. I didn't have any problems with the hole spacing... Therefor I believe the side rails are the same length, but the bend has a smaller radius to clear the latch for the rear windows.

That is probably the difference. I have a couple stored away. I know the grey was out of a 79 or 80 but the black I have no idea except it's pre 78 model. Next time I'm around where this are at I need to compare them to the one in my 76.

Looking at the pictures I can see the longer radius on the one in my 76. So I guess the black one I have is from a 77.
rollbar0006.JPG
rollbar0007.JPG
0006.JPG

Thanks for posting those pictures you have PM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom