OEM Bumper Winch Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would any of the board fabricators be interested in creating a OEM bumper winch mount? I'm not ready to drop so much on a full bumper. The wheeling I do does not call for that much protection and there is no hardcore trails. I would not do them any way.

Winch inside stock bumper fzj80

A bolt on would be awesome!

Yes! I found that LX in a ih8mud:google search but no the winch cradle thread with the group buy. This would be a great option for us that don't do any hard wheeling but still need the winch to get us out of situations. I could have used two months ago when I bottomed out and had to have someone snatch me out. Cost me $240 for front seal job.

I bought this TJM winch plate from Summit Racing: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tjm-957mtt1581c then modified the bumper support to fit around the mounted plate and winch. The winch plate is sturdy as hell, very thick steel, and bolts right up to the existing frame rails.

This was totally a DIY effort. The front bolts on the bottom of the plate go up through the bumper support to tie everything together. I may weld the winch plate and bumper support together at some point. It took some custom fabrication and a lot of trial and error to get the bumper support to fit correctly. If you're not willing to hack away at your bumper support, having someone custom fabricate something would probably be a better way to go.

A flip up license plate holder covers the fairlead.

Some pics:

How much cutting did you have to do? Can you elaborate on where the bumper support is? I'll need to take measurements and pictures to get an idea of where I'm going with this.

The bumper support is the black steel piece that spans the width of the truck under the plastic bumper "cover". You can see it in the first pic. I basically had to cut out the width of the winch plate to a depth that would accommodate the winch. I wanted to leave as much as I could to structurally fasten the support to the winch plate using the supplied bolts. It's best to remove the plastic bumper first to get your measurements and wrap your head around what you're dealing with. It's about a 10 min job to pull it off.

The bumper support is the black steel piece that spans the width of the truck under the plastic bumper "cover". You can see it in the first pic. I basically had to cut out the width of the winch plate to a depth that would accommodate the winch. I wanted to leave as much as I could to structurally fasten the support to the winch plate using the supplied bolts. It's best to remove the plastic bumper first to get your measurements and wrap your head around what you're dealing with. It's about a 10 min job to pull it off.
Looks like a good low cost option!
I should have plenty of factory bumper supports in my scrap bin if you cut too much off or if you would like to have an extra to play around with;)

I'll take some measurements of the cuts tomorrow. I'd love to hear some opinions on the structural integrity of what I've done. I know I've weakened the bumper support but I think I've more than made up for it with the winch plate and winch. I've bashed into some pretty serious stuff and it hasn't even flinched.

Looks like a good low cost option!
I should have plenty of factory bumper supports in my scrap bin if you cut too much off or if you would like to have an extra to play around with

Thanks @benc. Good to know ... in case I decide I need to go back to stock ;) I was just interested to see what was possible and try something different. I may go with an aftermarket bumper at some point.

Last edited:
So @benc is this something you might entertain offering to the community?

So @benc is this something you might entertain offering to the community?
I have thought about it but I don't think I could do it at a price point people would want to pay.
I may look into it but it will be a while before I have the time.
The mount @Steve B used looks to be a good option, it's on sale as well.

I bought this TJM winch plate from Summit Racing: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tjm-957mtt1581c then modified the bumper support to fit around the mounted plate and winch. The winch plate is sturdy as hell, very thick steel, and bolts right up to the existing frame rails.

This was totally a DIY effort. The front bolts on the bottom of the plate go up through the bumper support to tie everything together. I may weld the winch plate and bumper support together at some point. It took some custom fabrication and a lot of trial and error to get the bumper support to fit correctly. If you're not willing to hack away at your bumper support, having someone custom fabricate something would probably be a better way to go.

A flip up license plate holder covers the fairlead.

Some pics:

Summit has those on clearance right now for $121.50. Hum...

I'm going to grab one. Can a 12k winch be mounted on it?

@bamabrock If the 12k winch has standard mounting holes it should mount up to the TJM winch plate just fine. The limiting factor will be the width between the frame rails and the depth out to the bumper support. I would measure that space and compare to the dimensions of the winch before cutting.

@Steve B

Hey Steve, I can't tell what model smitty you got in there. It also looks like you just had to do a little bit of trimming on top of the bumper support. I don't see trimming anywhere else and it appears that the rest is bolt on using factory holes and bolts.

@bamabrock If the 12k winch has standard mounting holes it should mount up to the TJM winch plate just fine. The limiting factor will be the width between the frame rails and the depth out to the bumper support. I would measure that space and compare to the dimensions of the winch before cutting.
Could the tjm plate be spaced down to prevent cutting the bumper support?

Could the tjm plate be spaced down to prevent cutting the bumper support?
I doubt it, I think it wlould have to be to low to clear, even if it could it would cause a week point when spaced. The winch mount needs to be as close to the frame bolts as possible to prevent leverage on the mouting bolts.
I have no experience with this mount but am pretty familiar with the front end of the 100 series.

I figured spacing it down wouldn't work but really couldn't tell how much cutting was needed. Since I'm going to go with a rear bumper next, I ordered one of these to install a spare HF 12k badlands winch I bought on a whim and never used

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom