OE Rear E-Locker Wiring Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I'm trying to wire up my rear 80 series Elocker. I've been reading some really helpful threads on here on how it operates and how to hardwire it using relays instead of the ECM. Which is great because I have NO factory wiring for this axle. The axle was from car-part.com

Here's my problem, the 6 pin connector at the actuator is damaged. The wires "behind" it (wires from diff to connector) are is good shape and can easily make out the colors of the wires. However, the wires coming out of the "front" side of the plug (from connector to harness heading to ecm) are literally all ripped out.

I've looked at the factory wiring diagrams (from yankee toys site) and the colors I have on the backside of the plug don't match up with those on the diagram. I think I need the colors on the harness side of the connector.

The one wire that was intact is Green w/ Yellow. On the diff side of the connector, the color of the wire becomes a bright green. That's what makes me think I need the colors to the other side of the connector.

Can someone peel back the electrical tape and match up the colors for me? I'm trying to get this wired up for my trip saturday.

Here's what I can make out, again on the diff side of the connector.

1 2 x
3 4 5

1 = Dark Green w/ Red (heavy gauge)
2 = Dark Green (heavy gauge)
3 = Bright Green
4 = Yellow
5 = Black

Thanks alot for any help you can provide...

Not sure if this will help you...

Last winter, I finally hooked up the elocker in a elocked 80 Series axle that I swapped in my '91 a couple years ago.

I actually had the locker ecu, rotary switch, and part of the harness. I sold all that stuff for a much simpler solution. The solution does not provide a stock look but is plug and play and works, and looks cool in my opinion. No affiliation here....12voltguy.com can build you a harness that plugs into the harness coming out of the locker; it includes a switch and LED. No relays. Very simple. Having said that, I should point out that his Toyota sourced plug did not plug into the plug on my harness coming out of the locker. It was not an exact match, I ended up trimming the plastic off the sides of my locker side plug to get the two to slide together.

I also had a yellow wire coming from my locker assembly which seemed contrary to all the diagrams I've seen on mud. Regardless of that, the 12volt guy harness worked flawlessly, of course that was after I cleaned out my locker motor: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-...ledge-elocker-assembly-internal-workings.html

Try searching, IIRC there was a pretty extensive write-up on adding e-locker + wiring thread. Ill see if I can find it a bit later.

Hey guys, I'm trying to wire up my rear 80 series Elocker. I've been reading some really helpful threads on here on how it operates and how to hardwire it using relays instead of the ECM. Which is great because I have NO factory wiring for this axle. The axle was from car-part.com

Here's my problem, the 6 pin connector at the actuator is damaged. The wires "behind" it (wires from diff to connector) are is good shape and can easily make out the colors of the wires. However, the wires coming out of the "front" side of the plug (from connector to harness heading to ecm) are literally all ripped out.

I've looked at the factory wiring diagrams (from yankee toys site) and the colors I have on the backside of the plug don't match up with those on the diagram. I think I need the colors on the harness side of the connector.

The one wire that was intact is Green w/ Yellow. On the diff side of the connector, the color of the wire becomes a bright green. That's what makes me think I need the colors to the other side of the connector.

Can someone peel back the electrical tape and match up the colors for me? I'm trying to get this wired up for my trip saturday.

Here's what I can make out, again on the diff side of the connector.

1 2 x
3 4 5

1 = Dark Green w/ Red (heavy gauge)
2 = Dark Green (heavy gauge)
3 = Bright Green
4 = Yellow
5 = Black

Thanks alot for any help you can provide...

I'll snap some pictures tomorrow and post them here. It is late at night here at the moment but for the meantime, read this thread to see if you can pick up some info https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/113251-retro-fitting-oem-lockers-wiring-harness.html

You have me a bit confused here. There are two connectors on the actuator (one large and one small) that plug directly into the actuator body. These wires come together and go to a single connector that plugs into the body wiring harness. So exactly which connector is damaged? Is it the one on the body of the actuator (in which case you need to order one from Toyota) or is it the one that's about 3' from the elocker? If it's the one about 3' from the elocker then just cut the wires on the elocker side of this connector and splice your wiring in from there.

This thread might help you a bit. I installed two TRD elockers into a 4Runner using an 80 elocker ECU and switch. I have all the wiring diagrams referenced in links for both the TRD elockers (Tacoma/4Runner) and the 80 elockers. The wiring colors changed slightly from the 93/94 80's to the 96/97 80's (I'm not sure whether 95 is like the earlier or later models). It would help if you know which year the 80 axle is from to make sure that you are looking at the correct wiring diagram.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota-truck-tech/204094-elocker-wiring-switches.html

You have me a bit confused here. There are two connectors on the actuator (one large and one small) that plug directly into the actuator body. These wires come together and go to a single connector that plugs into the body wiring harness. So exactly which connector is damaged? Is it the one on the body of the actuator (in which case you need to order one from Toyota) or is it the one that's about 3' from the elocker? If it's the one about 3' from the elocker then just cut the wires on the elocker side of this connector and splice your wiring in from there.

This thread might help you a bit. I installed two TRD elockers into a 4Runner using an 80 elocker ECU and switch. I have all the wiring diagrams referenced in links for both the TRD elockers (Tacoma/4Runner) and the 80 elockers. The wiring colors changed slightly from the 93/94 80's to the 96/97 80's (I'm not sure whether 95 is like the earlier or later models). It would help if you know which year the 80 axle is from to make sure that you are looking at the correct wiring diagram.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota-truck-tech/204094-elocker-wiring-switches.html

Thanks for your help. The plug that was damaged was the one close to the actuator with the 5 pin connector. The 2 pin indicator light circuit was fine.

I read that thread previously and it did help. I actually ended up wiring the rear as GRM said in the last post of the thread. I went this route because it appears to be the only method to engage the locker with a single throw switch, which I already had in my switch console for my old ARB rear locker. Here it is for reference.

I just re-did my wiring. This works MUCH better.

This system uses a SPST switch, 3 switching relays, and a 3 amp fuse.

Factory plug looks like:

1 2
3 4 5

Ground #5

Relay #1

85: switched 12v+
86:Ground
87: 1
87a: 2
30: 12v+

Relay# 2

85: Switched 12v+
86:Ground
87: 2
87a: 1
30: 30 Connector on Relay #3

Relay# 3

85: switched 12v+
86: Ground
87: 3
87a: 4
30: 30 Connector on Relay #2

Unfortunately there's no mention of what relays are used. I used 5pin 12V, and 30amp relays. With the 87a pin (read somewhere that's what to look for). Unfortuneatly, this method did not work for me. I'm going to look into it tomorrow as I pulled an all nighter (literally) to get the FJ trail ready.

I'm going to listen for the relays triggering when I flipped the switch, I was way too frustrated and late for the trail ride to check the little things. Then maybe I'll get into the actuator and see if it works. I've had it for at least 2 years and it mostly sat while other work was being done.

Anyone have any other ideas? I already clipped the plug off the actuator to hard wire it. I'm not going to buy a ecu or harness. I'll pull it, get a short shaft and run an ARB before my FJ40 gets an ECU :hillbilly:

Thanks for the previous suggestions too

Well looking at more websites, shows that people are using a double throw switch and the following circuit...
circuit3.gif

Now, I was thinking about adding a relay to use my single throw switch in place of the "Control Switch" labeled in the above drawing. Sort of like this...

Locker.jpg

Will this work? I'm a wiring newbie :beer:

Did you get this wiring question fixed?

Sorry to bump this super old thread.

I have the same wiring colors as the OP on my '99 Tacoma TRD 2wd.

I'm missing the connector and need to hardwire these to my OEM car harness.

On my car harness, the wire colors don't match up, they are:
Light Green
White-Black
Green-Red
Green-Black
Green-Yellow

Does anyone know which wires go where?

Here's what i'm dealing with:
5f5a7e84.jpg

Are the pin out locations the same for the front? I'm chasing a wiring "I hope" issue.

Are the pin out locations the same for the front? I'm chasing a wiring "I hope" issue.
Did you ever figure out if the pinouts for the front were the same as the rear? I am doing the same thing right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom