OCD: Black Powder Coating of Interior Cargo Hooks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chris FJ80

SILVER Star
Threads
OK. I know this is OCD, but the finish of the OEM interior cargo hooks has always bugged me.

I can't think of any other hardware in the interior that is a steel/stainless finish. Almost seems that these were an afterthought.

Since I had my carpet out to install sound deadener, I pulled the hooks and gave them a black matte powder coat. Removal, cleaning up on the wire wheel, powder coat, cool, and reinstall took all of 60 minutes.

Photos below:

IMG_1740.jpg
IMG_1743.jpg
IMG_1747.jpg
IMG_1859.jpg
IMG_1861.jpg

Nice work. When you powder coat do you have to treat the metal (?phosphate wash) before you apply the powder?

Looks good. Just use plastic or plastic covered tie down straps and they will stay nice ;)

Nice work. When you powder coat do you have to treat the metal (?phosphate wash) before you apply the powder?
I just use acetone to clean them (after wire brushing and/or sanding), but I am new to the powder coating world, so time will tell.

Looks good. Just use plastic or plastic covered tie down straps and they will stay nice ;)
Yep - I am usually old fashioned, using cord/rope and tying my own knots. Occasionally I use bugles with plastic hooks

We clean with alcohol, but any degreaser would work. The harbor freight kit is 50 dollars and it's easy. To be honest, it's actually quite fun too. And you can coat larger parts if you want to stand around with a heat gun. Maybe it's not ultra professional but it looks nice.

Last edited:
To be honest, it's actually quite fun too. And you can coat larger parts if you want...

I laughed. My retired Dad has a old oven out in his shop & has powdercoated near all his suspension on a old International P/U he's building up.

All started from a toaster oven PC'ing his leadhead fishing jigs.

To keep tech: yeah, like these done up - little details like this are probably why Icon charges so much for a 40 (maybe deserved, never been next to one).

We clean with alcohol, but any degreaser would work. The harbor freight kit is 50 dollars and it's easy. To be honest, it's actually quite fun too. And you can coat larger parts if you want to stand around with a heat gun. Maybe it's not ultra professional but it looks nice.
I bought the Eastwood starter kit. Pretty happy so far. I only have a toaster over, so have limited myself to parts I can fit in there.

I did my battery hold down bracket and bolts too. The Eastwood kit comes with high temp masking tape so you can mask off the threads and just coat the portions you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom