OBX 4x4 Vacation

Discussion in 'VA/NC- Mid-Atlantic Toyota Land Cruiser Associatio' started by DavidAW, Sep 9, 2011.

1. DavidAW

DavidAW

Finally got a chance to stay in the 4x4 area of the Northern outer banks for vacation. Missed a couple days due to Irene, but was able to get in on Tues thru Monday.

Weather was perfect.
    Beach was good, but there was a lot of debris from the storm, mostly big driftwood. There were also a bunch of sea turtles and some lumber to watch out for.

Had fun with the driftwood and built a lot of stuff.

I would highly recommend staying there. Very relaxing.

Phone Pole
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stepped on this guy-Not fun
    [​IMG]

Horses in the yard
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Driftwood Art

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big Turtle
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pennys Hill Sunset
    [​IMG]

Back of Pennys Hill- Seems that one of the Adventure Tour Companies owns this now. They advertise kayak tours via thier private area at Pennys Hill.
    [​IMG]

2. WES1977

WES1977 SILVER Star

Yeah, i just got back from there today. I was pissed when I was on penny hill and the tour group drove right by the sign that says no vehicles beyond this point and went right by me on the hill. I was walking of coarse.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  3. DavidAW

DavidAW

I say we start driving over it.

4. The Bumble

The Bumble

Looks like you had a great time!

My wife, brother-in-law, and I were down in Swan Beach the 2nd week of August (just after Emily skirted the coast). We saw plenty of horses and a dead sea turtle.
    A biologist came up a little while after it washed up, checked it out, spray painted something on it, and left it on the beach. I guess for keeping records or something. Never made it to Penny's Hill, but those endless tours sure can be annoying!

Always have a great time down there. Can't wait 'til next year!!

5. DavidAW

DavidAW

Yeah, someone painted the turtles by the end of day 1 with Orange paint, one said NEST. We saw 3 that way.
    On about day 3, you really didnt want to get close to them.
    Then they were gone.

Also, the cleanup effort on the 4x4 area was amazing. They had crews of bobcats and Deuce and 1/2 Dumps working on it by the 2nd day after it washed up.