OBD II Readers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We've got a coupla OBD II compliant trucks in the garage, (no not the 40) :p and I am thinkin about buying a reader. A friend of mine is as well. I know someone here has one, whoever did that trip into Mexico?
I would like the ability to read live info, make performance related changes, and read/reset error codes etc.
And no I do not want to sell my ATV to buy a Toyota one and make C-dans dogs die of heart failure. :eek: ;)
Experience with particular models would be nice.
If I play my cards right for the next few weeks, it will probably be able to get used on an 80 series as well. ;) :D
Any info/suggestions/or general commentary is welcome ('cept from Junk, unless you happen to know what the code is for destroyed block? :p ;) )

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=2;threadid=4553;start=msg34291#msg34291 date=1061606511]
('cept from Junk, unless you happen to know what the code is for destroyed block? :p ;) )[/quote]

Didn't you your noggin came with a code :flipoff2:

See one of this week's other threads for this topic nonsearch dude :flipoff2:, seriously though, I picked up a slightly used OTC Mindreader for $100. Works awesome after Robbie and Christo showed me how to use it :D (the $100 version had no book :-\). :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

I've decided to go the laptop route. You can get a translator of sorts that plugs into the vehicle and a com port on the laptop. There are several programs that allow you to monitor both OBDII compliant as well as manufacturer specific codes and clear them as well. A nice feature is that you can actually drive the vehicle while monitoring several sensors. Getting graphs that can be later printed out and evaluated. Good for evaluating cooling ability, that nasty EGR code that many have had and others. On our 80s I don't beleive we can "write" to the ECM for shift points and such but I could be wrong. Maybe a group buy would be possible.

www.SuicidalCreations.com is the one I'm looking at. We use the VPW comunication type.

I'm interested in a group purchase for a laptop program if there is one. ;)

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=2;threadid=4553;start=msg34291#msg34291 date=1061606511]
I am thinkin about buying a reader.
I would like the ability to read live info,[/quote]

A reader won't give you real-time info. A scanner will.

The last post on the thread Junk mentioned was just a couple of days ago. Lots of good info in there.

Ed

We use this one http://www.obd2.com/

The prices has gone up, but they are still pretty good and the interface is nice. If I had to buy again, I would buy the Pocket PC version, instead of PC.

A good scanner like the Toyota one will allow you to talk back to the car and you can activate circuits etc etc. Most of the other ones just suck the info out and allow you to look at things, log parameters and view graphs while driving.

Thanks guys, I'll read that old post. I like the laptop idea. Or maybe this would be my excuse to buy a nice ipaq or something? :D

Christo,
Will the one you are using log say a run up a mountain in real time? Is it able to log multible runs saved to different file names? Is the amount of logging just limited to the hard drive size? With the pocket PC version can you then download the info to a laptop?
Bill

Will the one you are using log say a run up a mountain in real time?

[cs] Yes, you can do it by numbers or graphs and choose how many parameters you want to display. If you use a lot the update is a little slower.

Is it able to log multible runs saved to different file names?

[cs] Yes, per vehicle per run and they can be played back.

Is the amount of logging just limited to the hard drive size?

[cs] Yes, we routinely do 10min runs etc to trouble shoot and check parameters.

With the pocket PC version can you then download the info to a laptop?

Never checked that.

Thanks Christo! I had been very interested in this setup as they were one of only ones that seemed to have a specific setup for Toyota as opposed to generic OBD II data.
Bill

Christo,
That one I'm sure is real nice but a little more than what I want to spend. The proscan people talk a good game as far as being interested in improving their product's features and what they now offer would be fine for what my intentions are. The big thing is getting the hardware setup, once you've got that then I think any program can be used to scan the truck through that connection. I did find schematics for building the interpreter and a free program for the PC. I'll save that project as a last resort though.

I have an '95, and I know that they only partially support OBD II. What limitations are there in using an OBD II scanner like the one from http://www.obd2.com/ on a '95?

I believe it depends on your production date. A true manufactured in 1995 will have the OBD II system. A 1994 manufactured one all you need is to jump a couple of pins and watch the light blink. IIRC air bags = OBD II, No air bags = paper clip. Dan had put this up somewhere in one of these threads.

[quote author=coachconverter link=board=2;threadid=4553;start=msg34840#msg34840 date=1061830931]
Both the OBDII and Suicidalcreations say they work with 96 and newer. Is there anything out there for a 95 FZJ80?

Thanks
Todd
[/quote]

I have used the one from www.obd2.com on many 95's and it works fine.

Check out the one at www.obd-2.com. I have the one that works for all OBD2 vehicles. Works with a laptop and allows logging and playback. About $120 for a single interface. Does generic and manufacturer specific codes. Has a real time virtual dashboard for up to 6 parameters.

Works great on my 95.

Bob Garrett
95 FZJ80
Shawnee, KS

Well my wife would be proud of me, I've changed my mind on what scanner I'm going to buy. The new choice is the AutoEnginuity product because:

1. it supports all three protocals with one interface

2. is bi-directional so you can activate systems such as Christo described. This is actually done by an upgrade software package for a specific manufacturer. GM, Ford and Chrystler presently offered (of course) and Nissan early 2004 (didn't get a time line on Toyota.

I asked about a group buy and this was his responce:

To: landtank@comcast.net
Subject: Re: AutoEnginuity
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 22:10:21 -0700
I can give you full retail kits for 179.95 (that's the protective case,
printed manual, etc.). The OEM I would sell for 159.95 because I rarely
get less than that on eBay and you'd avoid the bidding hassles and on my
side I have to pay them a percentage of the transaction.

If you'd like to inquire more info from him please use the above e-mail and not through EBAY as selling privately is against the rules. Just mention Landtank96 in you text.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread...

I purchased the AutoEnginutiy product the other day off EBay. One of the questions I had for Jay H. was when will the upgraded software package be available for the Toyota. He emailed back stating they are working on it now and should be available in 2 months. I didn't get a price for the option, but figured it would be the same as the GM/Ford upgrades ($99.95)...

I have had a chance to use the analyzer and it is a great tool.

I bought an autoxray with toyota enhancements a few months back and it's been great. It scans, reads in real time, and has an on screen defenition of any trouble code that comes up.

how much with the toyota attachments?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom