O2 Sensor - OEM vs Denso? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The oxygen sensors are THE most important sensor in the furling system and they are THE sensor which determines fueling.

Everything in the fueling system is based off of those sensors and it's imperative that they provide accurate and predictable readings so the ECU can properly adjust the fueling to avoid running rich or lean.

There is no way I'd run anything else but the Toyota factory sensor as the ECU will not be able to discern between a factory sensor and an aftermarket one providing bad data.

I'm going with the Toyota parts. Now, should I replace my O2 sensors (318,000 miles and no codes) or should I try to get my money's worth out of them??

I'm going with the Toyota parts. Now, should I replace my O2 sensors (318,000 miles and no codes) or should I try to get my money's worth out of them??

I've heard of people throwing other codes and having some running issues without having the actual codes for the O2s come on. If you have access to a scanner with live data you can actually look at the reading and see if the O2 is flatlining. Which usually means its about to die. Personally, if the truck is running fine and no CEL, I'd save your money. Pretty amazing to see that kind of mileage with no codes. Are the sensors original?

The million dollar question? Replace ($$$) or Clean your O2 sensor .

Replace the oxygen sensor only if it's bad. They do wear out and the FSM, Chilton's or Hayne's manual for your car should have directions on how to test it.

An OEM replacement sensor for some popular cars is about $240, and your car probably has two of them. If you replace it with a cheap sensor from a discount parts store, you may be throwing away a perfectly good high quality sensor which just needs to be cleaned.

Here's a quote from a Toyota mechanic with 32 years of experience, on another web site:
"You don't need to replace them, remove them and clean them. [If you read an O2 sensor malfunction code] The computer is saying the vehicle is running a little rich or lean. IT DOES NOT mean the sensor(s) are bad. Auto parts stores just want to sell you products. If I received a dollar every time a 02 sensor was replaced on a vehicle I'd have millions."

That said, there doesn't seem to be an "official" way to do it, or an entirely safe way. But since you ask, here are some ways people have done it: :wrench:

1. Clean it with a throttle body aerosol cleaner which states that it's safe for oxygen sensors.
2. Heat it up with a torch and dip it in water. Use an air hose to clean the gunk out. Repeat.
3. Soak it in "Seafoam" (the engine cleaner, not salt water) overnight.
4. Soak it in gasoline overnight. Shake the dissolved gunk out.

It's one of those things, like nobody's going to tell you how to clean your bathroom mirror with ammonia at $0.99 a gallon, but lots of people are happy to sell you ammonia with blue die in it at $4.50 a pint.

though i have not touched my landcruisers sensors yet, i have had goodluck with the dipping in water trick. heat the o2 up to glowing red and dip in distilled water a few times, you will see all the black goop fall into the water. its not a good idea to spray them with alcohal or anything else, the o2 is a very sensitive element and the ceramic could be damaged. l

Sam: Stewart: It's possible the PO replaced my O2 sensors before I got the truck but the old service records don't show it and they are Toyota sensors. Only thing I've noticed is the loss of maybe 1 mpg in the last few thousand miles but then the exhaust doesn't smell funky, no soot blowing out the tailpipe. I've only got one O2 sensor code after recently using Honda intake/top end cleaner, cleared it, hasn't come back. I'll see about checking live data from the sensors. Is there an affordable scan tool that will show live data?

Edit: it would be interesting to see some live data before and after cleaning.

Sam: Stewart: It's possible the PO replaced my O2 sensors before I got the truck but the old service records don't show it and they are Toyota sensors. Only thing I've noticed is the loss of maybe 1 mpg in the last few thousand miles but then the exhaust doesn't smell funky, no soot blowing out the tailpipe. I've only got one O2 sensor code after recently using Honda intake/top end cleaner, cleared it, hasn't come back. I'll see about checking live data from the sensors. Is there an affordable scan tool that will show live data?

Not really an affordable one that I know of. Most of the good ones (SnapOn, Toyota, etc) are in the thousands of dollars. You could probably get someone to scan it for you. It would def be good to see some before and after. That would be some good info for the FAQ. I'm not sure about the fuel mileage. As was previously stated in the thread the sensors are very critical to fuel mix and engine running.

Checked fleabay for used Solus Pro tools, they started at $600 and went to $2000+.

see about checking live data from the sensors. Is there an affordable scan tool that will show live data?

Harrison obdscan makes a scanner that works with your lap top to monitor and log data from multiple sensors over time. I have one and it works well. $139 for the universal model.

http://www.obdscan.net/

Thanks, I'll look into that tool/software package.

I just ordered a set of Denso O2 sensors from here:

http://www.oxygensensors.com/catalog.php?&pkey=1276703

They look identical in every respect to the factory parts and are plug and play connectors.

Part 234-4157
Part 234-4153

$156.32 total. I'm happy

They arrived packaged in perfect condition in two days.

Mine were replaced under warranty at 40K. Stealership making bucks no doubt.

Looking forward to install of new parts at 155K.

So does the LX450 use these same ones (i.e., same part numbers)??

Yes they are the same, I ordered both denso sensors from Amazon for a hair over $100. 234-4157 and 234-4153 are the part numbers. They fit and work perfectly.

I must have missed it, but what sensors for a 94? Thanks!

I must have missed it, but what sensors for a 94? Thanks!

The 94 takes NTK sensors. I was told Denso's by several people on this forum, just ordered a set from Lowe Toyota ( think I spoke with a guy named Ernie, awesome customer service btw ) and the package I got has x2 brand new OEM sensors marked NTK Toyota.

The 94 takes NTK sensors. I was told Denso's by several people on this forum, just ordered a set from Lowe Toyota ( think I spoke with a guy named Ernie, awesome customer service btw ) and the package I got has x2 brand new OEM sensors marked NTK Toyota.

Thank you!

They have different plug connectors, so they can only go in one, hard to screw up when they make it easy for a change.

I ordered NTK for one of my 93s from Amazon and one died within <20k miles. I emailed NTK and they basically told me to pound sand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom