O R I O N (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Do you have one?

If so, I would like to know your case number, ratio, if you have installed the stepped thrust washers, different shift rail, and back cut high-speed gear.

Post up what you have.

Thank you!

-Steve Cramer

Last edited:
Case #2. Stepped thrust washers you sent me installed. Back cut Hi speed gear, latest shift rail,ball,spring and brass nut. Did not have the turned down long mounting bolt which was just above the idler gear, but have one in now. (yeah, the old one rubbed a little) Upon initial installation ran into problems with popping out of gear. Ran it a bit anyway. Took it all apart after a year to install new t-case output shaft, Hi/Lo selector ring, stepped washers etc. Seemed good for 8 months, then had massive bearing failure in the transmission (?) again took apart, repaired trans, reassembled case in haste when kid totaled DD work vehicle...(needed ride to work, so had to hurry) It's in there now, and seems quiet and happy. It is the 4:1 ratio gear set.

Cheers!

Last edited:
#100 , 4:1
used shift collar,rail from old t-case.
no back cut gear
runs well, pops outa high range when coasting downhill in 3 rd gear.

4:1
had pop outs in low range, extreme down hills only, not good for heart
had the gear cut and AA retrofit detent ball etc, shafts and parts from used 4 speed donor.
so far so good

love the case when its not trying to kill me

One of the early ones;) I installed the stepped thrust washers, the new shift rail/ball/spring, and the back cut high-speed gear. Tolerances on the high low gears is .008 to .009. I didn't add the set screw to the shift rail.

Last edited:
#338, set up by Gary Kardum (mudraks) back cut high speed gear, other than that he will have to answer since I either don't remember what he told me or he never said. Just got it last month.

#17 I just installed what they sent, by their instructions. Used all the necessarys from my old case. Never had any issues popping out of gear. 1st fluid change was as expected, just gear break in particles. The rear output seal is leaking a little now though. I can't remember any of my tollerances either, but they are within specs. Oh and the trans is an H41 too.

Case # 339

New main shaft and range shift collar

Had new high speed gear that was not back-cut, but cast that way.

Could not install the stepped thrust washers provided in the kit as even when using the thinnest step, the clearence was too tight.

Orion kit came with a new shift rail that had o-ring grooves on both ends, and was machined for the use of the set screw locking system, but the case was not machined for it.

Installed behind an H41

Assembly of this is detailed out here.

Last edited by a moderator:
case #139 installed on a 75 fj40
installed with directions included, used all parts from old case called for. no new gears or washers.
Installed in Dec. 04 and had popping out issues in 4H on 3 or 4 different occations first few hundred miles of build. Since then, 2 years-10,000 miles, 2 rubicons, no popping out.

#303 4:1 new cut gears shift fork,new coller, cant remember the rest?

Bought mine through Gary Kardum, assembled it very carefully, called Gary while I was assembling to make sure I had the tensions right. Used the parts Gary did not provide out of my original t-case. Learned about the issues and modified parts quite a bit after I had installed it, so I did not know any better. Gary may have provided the parts you are referring to, I would not have noticed at the time.
I've had no problems yet, never popped out of gear, have not wheeled it hard yet, but has been my daily driver, 50 mile round trip though Columbia River Gorge and back into the Washougal River canyon. Not the usual in-town commute.

gary

Case #355

My case was built by a local shop with all of the "new" components (thrust washers, shift rail, etc.) The only piece that wasnt used was the brass set screw for the shift fork. We used the stock piece as the large head of the brass screw wasn't clearing the housing cover.

Haven't had a chance to wheel it yet but will report back any problems.

BTW, mine is behind a SM465.

Orion # 151

New main shaft and range shift collar

Stepped thrust washers and back cut high-speed gear along with shift rail and detent ball

Installed behind H42

Poser-Built

And no problems:bounce: :bounce2: except the driver:doh:

New main shaft and range shift collar.

Upgraded front output to fine spline and installed a Warden billet nose cone.

Has stock shift rail, ball, spring and set screw.

Will pop out of high range occasionally on road while decelerating, low range was fine.

Does not have back cut high speed gear.

Installed behind an SM420.

Last edited:
where'd ya get the billet cone ?
As far as I know Poser is hording the remaining ones , maybe Georg has one.
I bet there are a few out there, anyone wanna sell one ?

Note: #100 is popping outa gear after she gets heated up , only hi range tho. And only on 3rd gear decellaration.

where'd ya get the billet cone ?
As far as I know Poser is hording the remaining ones

Steve purchased three of them from Danny Warden. I have one on my case, Bunnyhill has one on his, and the other one is on the case that he removed from his Red truck when he switched to the Atlas.

New main shaft and range shift collar.

Upgraded front output to fine spline and installed a Wardens billet nose cone

Has stock shift rail, ball, spring and set screw.

Does not have a back cut high-speed gear or stepped thrust washers.

Does not pop out of gear.

Installed behind a 465 and Marlin 2.28 Toybox
:banana:

#262 installed in Ruftoys in March '06. Backcut hi speed gear, inboarded detents on shift rail, HUGE brass plug on shift fork [clearance issue with top cover] IIRC, I used stepped thrust washers provided by Poser.;) Never popped out of gear yet. Then again, it won't shift from inside the truck either!:eek:

#350 assembled last month. All the same details as #262 except that shift rail now has a set screw [pic posted to Poser's thread] and like chattfj40, could not install the stepped thrust washer on one side. Yet to be installed.

:cheers:

Case #51 4to1 haven't installed any of the repair parts. Went out of gear one time on a l o n g coast downhill on the freeway. Daily driver no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom