NV4500 conversion question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
I am considering an NV4500 conversion in order to shorten my drivetrain as well as for other reasons. I am now running a AA ranger OD/SM465/early TC 73 fj40 / combination. My low gear now is 62.362. If I ran the nv my low gear would end up being 53.33. My question is will this difference (53.33 vs. 62.36) in low gearing be a huge difference off road? I would like to keep a relative low gear ratio but by no means am I looking for the lowest possible gear ratio out there. I just want to be able to tackle most obstacles. Just wondering how much of a difference I am looking at. Street driveability is important to me and the NV sounds like it is quiter and has the same OD final ratio as what I am running now. Anyone with experiences in either of these setups I would appreciate your comments and experiences. Thanks much.

Noah

I have a 71' NV4500 with a 5.6 first gear and 4.11 axle ratios. I had the conversion done at a shop and they were trying to talk me into the 6.3 first (older NV4500 have this and are now hard to find). I wanted the 5.6 first because I don't do serious rock crawling. First gear is still really low; way lower than the stock 3speed.

This has got to be the best manual transmission swap there is. You probably have a v8 so if you can't get up a hill with the 5.6 first, I don't think anything will :D

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom