No More 4runners/Mini-Trucks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcteryx

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiseryard.com
Let me preface, I have had two 1st gens and loved them. They are great vehicles and very capable. However, parting them out or removing a drivetrain just plain sucks. I will never buy one to part out again, it’s just too much of a pain.

Also, I have no idea how many cruisers I have parted or drivetrains that have been removed, but it's a lot. So I am very familiar with Mr T’s “injuneering”. But this takes the cake IMO. I have another one that I have decided to take off the easy bits and then sell/scrap it as is, I am not subjecting myself to this again and going to stick to cruisers.

Why do you ask? Reasons below

1- everything is welded!!! I am not sure why, perhaps to cut cost, or they thought it was a cheaper, throw away vehicle, or because it was IFS, but outside of removing the outer fenders, that’s all you can do. The inner fenders and rad support are all welded together. With cruisers, the front end is all bolt on- inner/outer fenders and rad support - so it’s much more modular. After trying to split some of the welds, I said screw it and got out the sawzaw.

2- the front driveshaft is a double cardan (DC) next to the t-case. In general DC are good- the 81-84 60s have DC fronts, but Mr T put a stupid shield over it. This is a real pain to remove. But not nearly as difficult as trying to remove the 4 14mm nuts on the driveshaft on the DC end. After an hour trying to get this sucker off, I decided to it and pull the drivetrain out with it on. Drivetrain removed, but the DC is STILL on there and I cant seem to get it off as my impact cannot get into that angle. Again, I have removed many a driveshaft, but this one is a pain.

3- unless you want to remove the plenum and disconnect the wiring harness, you have to remove a good section of the bottom of the dash- condenser and blower motor- as well as the PS fender. This is kinda like a cruiser but doesn’t require nearly as much to remove. More work for the same result as a cruiser.

I really would like to know why Mr T engineered it this way. Was it cheaper? I mean, if someone gets in a front end collision, it would be a major pain to remove the rad support correctly and put another on. Anyway, sadly, I won't be doing any more 4runners/mini-trucks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom