No Fire...where to look next ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not a mechanic by any means so ...HELP......Chev 350 in 75 cruiser. Can't get fire to the plugs. I have 12V into and out of the coil. Have 12V in the distrib. cap. but no fire to the plugs. Where should I look next? It is supposely a crate motor with about 50 miles on it ( bought as a half finished project )
Thanks, david

You should have 12V going into the coil but not going to each plug. I don't think that was what you ment though...

Does the distributor have points and concenser or is it electronic ignition?

If you have no spark at any of the 8 plugs...
If it is points and condenser, check the points dwell. If that doesn't work, replace the condenser and make sure it is screwed down to the distributor tightly.

If it is electronic ignition, it is probably the ignition module. Try replacing that.

Hope that helps,
Scott

check the ground between the engine and the body/frame,and ground wire to the battery.should bark right up.

double check the ground, but ignition modules are notorious for problems with the HEI...

The pick up coils go bad as well, but if you replace the module and it still doesn't work, then you have a spare and that's not a bad thing. You can check the resistance to the pick up coil and the coil with an ohm meter. I'm sure a google search will come up with values for both.
Frame grounds are not so important on a gm because the whole system is grounded through the engine, but very important on other systems. I have seen many project cars not start because of lack of frame ground.
Early rotors are known to burn through. The rotor gets a pin hole in it through to the dizzy shaft and the spark grounds there rather than go out to the plugs. Not too common these days, though.
Coils themselves can burn out, especially when the key is left on with the motor not running, a situation that happen with project vehicles. Again check it with an ohm meter.
GOod luck :D

Thanks Guys, hope to be able to get back to it soon and will check out your suggestions.

what I noticed was on my pionts dist. that the oridgnal wire was only putting out about 10 volts where the hei requires 12,that I installed and sh--cann-- the other, didn't relize this until I grabbed volt meter so then I grabbed a hot wire from starter to try and started right up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom