Nitro vs Longfield Birfs/Axles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Or 300M ;)

I have seen Bobby do quite a few stress tests as well. His longs are amazing, but there is no substitute for mass.

BTW, this is a horrid comparison. Bobby's stuff is excellent, but a d60 is a much stronger unit. 35 spline shafts compared to 30 spline shafts..

I dont know ...I wheeled MY now Trent's 60 truggy with 4D's and stupid low with a ALOT of Chevy trucks and Heeps running D60's and the D60 broke alot more then me... the stock 30 spline for sure but I do know how to drive maybe they didnt :p.... I think axle shaft and jount wise they are JUST as stong or a little stronger....ring and pinon and housing wise maybe not .... but I also drug my 60 housing alot less too:meh: now the Chrom 35 spline guys NEVER broke ... but they had double what I had dollar wise in thier axles :meh:

torquetestgraph.jpg

I dont know ...I wheeled MY now Trent's 60 truggy with 4D's and stupid low with a ALOT of Chevy trucks and Heeps running D60's and the D60 broke alot more then me... the stock 30 spline for sure but I do know how to drive maybe they didnt :p.... I think axle shaft and jount wise they are JUST as stong or a little stronger....ring and pinon and housing wise maybe not .... but I also drug my 60 housing alot less too:meh: now the Chrom 35 spline guys NEVER broke ... but they had double what I had dollar wise in thier axles :meh:

torquetestgraph.jpg

So comparing an upgraded Toy axle with a stock D60 axle. Even just going to "stock" (not chromoly) 35 spline outers on a D60 (actually D70 stuff ~ $75 each) takes the D60 strength about to the same strength as the longs.

So comparing an upgraded Toy axle with a stock D60 axle. Even just going to "stock" (not chromoly) 35 spline outers on a D60 (actually D70 stuff ~ $75 each) takes the D60 strength about to the same strength as the longs.

sure its alot cheaper to put in longs in then a D60 unless a built D60 falls in your lap ... and I broke less then stock Dana spicer 35 Spline trucks too .. but I dont think a axle swap was the point of the thread

and dont get me wrong I know a biult truck on tons IS stronger I'm just sayin Longs 30spline will MORE the equal the fuild ... now the rear pollys dont ... but they are close for me ... and its just that my idea of a good Toyota wheeler :cheers:

My D60 was $400 so it was not much more expensive to upgrade :D

Selling the old axle with ringed longs in it almost made me break even..

My D60 was $400 so it was not much more expensive to upgrade :D

Selling the old axle with ringed longs in it almost made me break even..

like I said fallin your lap... find one that cheap in the nexted 2 hrs ??? and can everyone put a D60 in a rig ... cause you know it just bolts right in right:bang:

trust me some day my 76 or one like it will be chromo 35 spline D60 and 14 bolt and maybe a big block and 44's cause I want it to be my point is Longs are SUPER stong and if I still had my Truggy I would follow any D60ed rig and keep up and my long's wouldnt keep me from doing it

now my t-case was another story :lol:

like I said fallin your lap... find one that cheap in the nexted 2 hrs ??? and can everyone put a D60 in a rig ... cause you know it just bolts right in right:bang:

It bolted beautifully to the links and coilovers ;)

I swear that I have seen the results That Bobby posted that even the EMPI's would break the stock 27 spline inners before the Birf went.
The Galling on Chop's post is bothersome.
The broken stub is not scary, I have a pile of Stock Toyota stuff that did the exact same thing (including a mini Tcase input and a stock Taco rear axle shaft. It's not "bad" heat treating, just maybe not the best style of heat treating for the intended purpose. Just like Bobby's original welded longs, it was a matter of adjusting the heat treatment that made even stock birfs significantly stronger.

And, Even if the birf does break at the stub or at the inner axle. At least the bell is not crunching around and mangling your ability to steer and your knuckle..

Agreed, nobody denies that Bobby has the best game in town. I do like looking at options tho..

Or 300M ;)

I have seen Bobby do quite a few stress tests as well. His longs are amazing, but there is no substitute for mass.

Your right no matter what a Dana 60 with chromoly 35 spline can't be beat the houseing an ring an pinion to.

I just ordered the longs super set. I tried to find out about the nitro cromies from slee I got no real answer, I also asked if they have a warranty and he told me he does not know. How the hell can you sell something like this and not even know if it has a warranty or not? Hung up the phone with slee and called bobby. Great service and willing to answer any Q's I had. This is the second time I have called slee to order something and by the end of the phone calls I always end up looking for someone else that has what I am looking for. Not trying to bash on slee but this has been my experiences.

You can't go wrong with bobby's 30 splines!

I just ordered the longs super set. I tried to find out about the nitro cromies from slee I got no real answer, I also asked if they have a warranty and he told me he does not know. How the hell can you sell something like this and not even know if it has a warranty or not?

I took the call and I said I do not know the warranty since I do not. This is what is on Nitro's site. Yes, I will make work to figure the warranty, but as far as I can see it is not stated on the Nitro page anywhere. So if I can not locate it, then I would rather assume there is none.

"Toyota Landcruiser Chromoly Heavy DutyBirfield Joint

SINGLE JOINT, FITS STOCK INNER AXLEES

These new birfield joints are made from 4340 chromoly and feature 300M inner race for added strength.

91-94 Models Require later design drive flange

Vehicle Applications:

91-97 Toyota Landcruiser FJ80, FZJ80, HZJ80, HDJ80,

Also fits newer FZJ105, HZJ105, HZJ78, HZJ79 international models.

Add to Cart:

Model: AX TBIRF-FJ80HD
Shipping Weight: 12lbs
42 Units in Stock
Manufactured by: Nitro Gear & Axle"

There is no warranty listed and neither is it on their site. I can ask Carl or Jeremy what it is, but I also mentioned that I don't think they warranty them against breakage. I would rather have a customer think that they do not have a warranty, vs false hope that they can beat the living snot out of the axle and then the manufacturer is going to warranty it.

Hung up the phone with slee and called bobby. Great service and willing to answer any Q's I had. This is the second time I have called slee to order something and by the end of the phone calls I always end up looking for someone else that has what I am looking for. Not trying to bash on slee but this has been my experiences.

Sorry, that you had a bad experience. We can only learn from our mistakes and use that to improve our service.

EDIT - Ok I found it on Mud.

"Lifetime warranty against breakage. Ours are spec'd with a slightly harder race so they can be used in AWD application. Also are rebuildable"

From a post in this thread.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/jts-parts-...nitro-birfields-axles-fj40-fj60-fj-fzj80.html

I will suggest to Carl that they put it more prominent on their site and also add it to ours.

Last edited:
Thanks Christo

If only Longfield would accept international credit cards. Then I would have a complete set of Birfs and shafts on their way to South Africa without blinking an eye..

If only Longfield would accept international credit cards. Then I would have a complete set of Birfs and shafts on their way to South Africa without blinking an eye..

Nitro accepts and I have good experience with Carl and Nitro super set ..

I would rather spend a few $$ more to get a birf made buy the guy that test every other birf to failing (including his own) my self.

Longfiled has a long standing reputation for making the best birfiled's in the world, if I need to pay $100 more for that I will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom