Nitro vs Longfield Birfs/Axles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
Nitro vs Longfield Birfs/Axles?

Opinions, thoughts? Which is "better" and why?

This is for my FJ60. Wheeled in the Northeast rocks, street driven 90% of the time (in 2wd, front hubs unlocked 99% of the street time). 2F, split TC, H55F 5 speed, 4.56/ARBd diffs and soon, a Marlin 4.7 ToyBox... wheeling with 35" Swampers.

Mark

Last edited:
I've been wondering the same thing. I couldn't find any warranty info about the Nitro's on their website.

Similar in price to Trail Gear Dirty 30's, no mention of US made, no mention of warranty. The Dirty 30's are imported too but have a lifetime warranty. Obviously the Longfields are the be all and end all if you have the additional money. Remember to get the chromo hub gears as well.

Edit: East Coast Gear Supply, only place I've seen the Nitro birfs, carries a lot of Trail Gear parts without specifically mentioning their name.

I have ran and abused my longfields for about 4 hard years and have never had no problems. I stand behind them 110% I promise they will out last the stuff around them trust me I have broken enough of the other parts to prove it and that includes four rear axle to go with it.

I just stuffed at stretched housing (+ six inches) with Longfield custom 30-spline shafts and the birfs to match. Those 30-spline birfs are an absolute work of art. I didn't want to put grease on them they are so beautiful.

Longfields.

Next question.

Seriously, like the purchase of a quality tool- the purchase price only stings once, lesser quality stings over and over.

Which is "better" and why?

1) When you call Longfield's number, sometimes Bobby Long answers. Does Mr. Nitro answer the phone?
B) I had never heard of Nitro axles prior to this thread, I have no idea what their warranty is. I know the Longfield's warranty by heart and have never heard of anyone having trouble with it. Bobby Long put his name on my axles, Does Mr. Nitro do that?
III) Longfield is a 'Mud supporting vendor. Nitro?

Surprised that I had to explain it to you.

I have ran and abused my longfields for about 4 hard years and have never had no problems. I stand behind them 110% I promise they will out last the stuff around them trust me I have broken enough of the other parts to prove it and that includes four rear axle to go with it.

Sounds like you wheel a WHOLE LOT harder than I ever will...

"if it don't go the first time back up and hit it a whole lot harder"

Mark, I'm assuming that you are upgrading to chromo front axle parts because of the toybox you're putting in?

It looks like the Nitro setup is $600 while the longfield setup is $630. There is not much of a price difference so why not choose the 'mud vendor?

30 SPLINE 4340 CHROMOLY SUPER SET FOR TOYOTA PICK-UP, 4 RUNNER, FJ-40 & FJ-60 - Longfield Super Axles

Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60 4340 Chromoly 30/30 spline Birfield KIT [AX TBIRF-FJ60KIT] - $599.99 : JTs Parts & Accessories, Justdifferentials.com

NITRO

There is a set of axels for sale in the classifieds right now!:meh:
I think I woul spend the extra couple of hundered bucks and
know they are under warranty.

There is a set of axels for sale in the classifieds right now!:meh:
I think I woul spend the extra couple of hundered bucks and
know they are under warranty.

Yes... those are the ones I have my eye on... I was wondering if there is a difference between the Nitro and the Longs (I understand about vendor loyalty and all that). At full price I would choose the Longs because of everything I have heard about Bobby and the product... BUT at the reduced price I thought it made sense to investigate the Nitros. So far no one has had anything concrete to say about the Nitros... they seem to be unproven in our community... but other than the unknowns of warranty and customer service no one has any BAD experiences (no GOOD ones either)

Given that, and the way I wheel (not hardcore), I think I'm going to stick with carrying stock spares... I believe that that will serve me well... even WITH the ToyBox.

Mark

I will be a supporter of Bobby Long for years to come for a couple of reasons.

His birf and axle set comes with a LIFETIME warranty, I have seen him go above and beyond to ship product out so that people could continue their wheeling weekend, AND last but not least something I have NEVER seen someone do before he has posted right there plain as day on his site...

"All new Birfields and U-joints have a lifetime warranty against breakage. (If you weld, grind or alter in any way, this will void the warranty.) This warranty is transferable to whoever owns the product at the time."

Yeah well I have to follow guys in my group running mainly 44" plus tires and I try not to let them out do me if I can. I went everywhere at the Dixie run this year and tried bounty rock/hill but didn't make it but at least I tried. If it is the east coast gear supply in nc call and ask for chase he may be able to tell u about the axles

I broke two of thier Newfeilds in about 20 ft. Did the same trail and WAY more with bigger tires with 30 spl Longs... They're the only way to go.... I sure miss that truck

I have no personal experience, but just from lurking the mini-truck section of pirate4x4, I would not hesitate to buy Longfields over any axle out there at any price. Unconditional no-questions-asked warranty and real customer support, not just sales.

Supporting vendor

We ARE a supporting vendor, in fact we contribute a lot to this forum, wheel with the guys on this forum and are dedicated to quality differential and axle components. Just search Nitro Gear on here and you will find plenty of good info. My personal interest tends to be in the later model cruisers (just because thats what I have now), so check out hte 80 or 100 series forums. There are also several other supporting 'mud vendors offering the Nitro Line including Slee offroad, Metal Tech, Cruiser Outfitters, Iron Pig, as well as others. I dont have much to say about the Longfield products other than that he is retail only, so if we wanted to offer shafts & birfields we had to go to the actual source.

1) When you call Longfield's number, sometimes Bobby Long answers. Does Mr. Nitro answer the phone?
B) I had never heard of Nitro axles prior to this thread, I have no idea what their warranty is. I know the Longfield's warranty by heart and have never heard of anyone having trouble with it. Bobby Long put his name on my axles, Does Mr. Nitro do that?
III) Longfield is a 'Mud supporting vendor. Nitro?

Surprised that I had to explain it to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom