Next mod? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been weighing the options of my next (first major mod) move with my '94 FZJ80. Its all stock with running boards. No lift. I would like to set the rig up for mild to intermediate trail running. So my questions are: Which mod first? Rock sliders? Bumpers? Lift? Is it best to have bumpers and tire carrier installed before the lift? Anyone have a bias toward any particular order? If so, why? Recommendations on lift choices? I am looking at ready-to-weld bumper and slider kits online and would appreciate an opinion on the best kits as far as fit/finish and ease of assembly. I'm on a budget. I'm a nooby to 80's so flame away, I got my Fire Extinguisher ready.

You need to combine the three then call it one single mod.

I'm sure that saves time and money somehow.

:hillbilly:

Sliders and tires first if you want to start wheeling it. Get a good set of tires and go drive it. I bet you'll be surprised where it will take you. Then you will know what you want next based on the way you end up enjoying using it.

Sliders and tires first if you want to start wheeling it. Get a good set of tires and go drive it. I bet you'll be surprised where it will take you. Then you will know what you want next based on the way you end up enjoying using it.

Right on. I was going to say, get a good set of tires. The old gal came from the factory built for more than just the slab. Make sure you've got some recovery gear and meet as many other 80 series owners as you can. Get out as much as possible, and see what you need. I had a ton of fun in my 91 on 32's with a cooler and a shovel in the back. Seeing other built trucks in person, not on the web, is priceless.

Depending on what you want to do, my advice is to build to your needs. Don't build a brodozer if you don't need it. Don't lift your truck if it doesn't further your goals. Don't run 315's "because 285's or 255's look too small" unless 315's are what you need to accomplish what you want.

The way I see it, Mr. T engineered a very capable truck. Your job is to not screw it up.

Check this thread out for an interesting discussion on what a few folks would do if they had to start over: If I was to start all over again, I would...

Go to the Rising Sun LC meeting tomorrow night at Stevinson Toyota West...can get some visuals on other 80's and talk to the the group.

All kidding aside, they're pretty awesome right out of the box. Slightly taller tires might just be all you'll ever need. Break something, mod accordingly.

:cheers:

My 92 is bone stock. Actually probably an inch or so lowered due to the 23 year old sagging shocks. I run 31" tires (for now, going to 33" with new stock height OME 861/862 shocks within the month). The stock 80 will go to some pretty extreme areas right out of the box.

Get the sliders. They are functional. After you wheel it and tear up your front or rear bumper you will know that you need to replace them. If you don't damage them then you know it's not a necessity.

You are getting good advice here. The stock 80 is pretty capable for what you need: light to intermediate trails. Also, fits your low budget.

For some of us, the problem is that we want our 80s to look cool like we can climb big rocks even if we don't rock climb.

Bumpers last. Probably not needed for what you want to do. You just want the cool factor, but in reality you don't need to upgrade the bumpers.

So, what can you do first to make your 80 look cool and more capable?

1. Bigger tires. Get the 285s or 255s depending on the look you want. Do this when your current tires need replacing, so you don't feel you are wasting money.

2. Replace springs/shocks. You are probably sagging and wobbling around with your original setup. If it's time to change them, then decide on lift based on your needs. Stock, mediums, heavy, etc. It really depends on how much weight you are going to be carrying.

3. Sliders are needed probably because the rocker panel is the first thing you might damage and it's not a good area to damage. So, protect it.

These 3 will make you taller, cooler, and more capable.

Thanks for all the great tips. I already got tires (Back Country AT's 265/75 R16) and I happy with four ply ride and low noise level. These will suit my needs for now. I am going with sliders first from a local Denver fabricator. He does outstanding work at a very reasonable price. look for: First Choice Fab online.

I've seen many similar threads and one thing that gets left out is your previous experience. I've had several other toyota 4x4s for stock to a couple on true 35s to learn in. I still don't have sliders but would suggest them as a first mod if someone is just getting into 4 wheeling as you are more likely to have an expensive lesson.

Take it out and see if your usage would benefit from better break over angle, lift; approach and departure angle, front and rear bumpers, respectively; and so on.

If you are looking to go off-road, my first mod was to train the nut behind the wheel. Find a reputable school and take a class with the stock rig, then start to spend money on metal , find out capability and other key info. Then spend on metal and rubber. That was my experience anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom