New Warn Zeon Winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks great, did you use a shoehorn to fit it? Any grinding, cutting to get it in there?

It should be noted that the ZEON 12 and M12000 are very different winches. The ZEON 12 is what we call a mid-frame winch, and mounts feet down. The M12000 is what we call a large-frame winch, and mounts feet forward.

Hmmm.... The 12 K Zeon winch Warn sold me has instructions for feet forward installation as well as feet down. I hope I bought the right winch! ARB bumpers have feet forward mounts, at least in an 80 Series.

The ZEON is going to have superior IP68 sealing, where the M12000 will not.

This is one of the reasons I went with the Zeon. I don't think I'll use it that often, but when I do I want to know that it's going to work. Nothing like having a seized winch on the front of your truck when you need it to work the most. The IP68 seal spec should help with that, it just makes so much sense to me that you would want a winch sealed this well to keep water and crap out of it.

Line speed doesn't concern me that much, I don't care if the winch isn't the fastest so long as it is strong enough and reliable. Slow winching is still better and faster than digging, hi-lift jacking, pulling with a yank strap and generally struggling to get yourself unstuck. If it's not strong enough then you can always double up the line and if necessary use rigging to extend your anchor point if you have to...

Any updates on fitment in the Short bus or ARB for that matter?

Thanks,

John -

I'm currently cramming my 12K Zeon into my ARB for my 80 Series. It's not in yet. The width of the winch is a bit of a problem, it doesn't sit well in the center because it's so wide, it hits the inside of the front of the bumper where it starts to angle backward toward the rear of the truck. I bought the ARB mount kit but even with both of the spacers installed the winch still hit the bumper. I had to fab up some 1/2" stainless spacers, which in conjunction with one pair of the ARB spacers, stand the winch off enough so that it sits free of the bumper.

The other area of concern that I have is that with a feet forward mount the top of Lord Vader's lid might not clear the front valance under the grill of the truck. I might need a relocation kit, but I'm unsure of where the hell it'll go because there won't be enough room under the hood. Hopefully it fits, though I have seen one in a 60 Series ARB, so I should be able to make it work.

Once I get moving on this I'll take photos and post up the results of the install in a thread so that others can see for themselves.

Last edited:
I'm really late to this thread and picked it up from a search when looking at replacing my t-max 12,000 lbs winch that i just toasted. It was toasted because after being on my truck for well over 8 years a wire rubbed through making contact with the metal bumper and melted the wires and the solenoids. I would replace it with another t-max but they look to be different than in the past.

I was about to pull the trigger on a warn but to be perfectly honest i've been in positions where the warn failed due to whatever reason, be a short in the controller, brushes going bad, water in the case.. I've been on trips where a ramsey didn't work right.. each time i was lucky and my T-max worked.

So, i have to drop back and punt here and figure out what is the wise choice. I can't agree with the comments that buying the more expensive warn means it will work every time when you need it when i've personally seen that's not the case.

I'm leaning towards buying a cheap harbor freight winch and water proofing it and using the extra $$ for a good set of tires.....

I'm really late to this thread and picked it up from a search when looking at replacing my t-max 12,000 lbs winch that i just toasted. It was toasted because after being on my truck for well over 8 years a wire rubbed through making contact with the metal bumper and melted the wires and the solenoids. I would replace it with another t-max but they look to be different than in the past.

I was about to pull the trigger on a warn but to be perfectly honest i've been in positions where the warn failed due to whatever reason, be a short in the controller, brushes going bad, water in the case.. I've been on trips where a ramsey didn't work right.. each time i was lucky and my T-max worked.

So, i have to drop back and punt here and figure out what is the wise choice. I can't agree with the comments that buying the more expensive warn means it will work every time when you need it when i've personally seen that's not the case.

I'm leaning towards buying a cheap harbor freight winch and water proofing it and using the extra $$ for a good set of tires.....

Alex---9.5XP or used 8274 with an Albright Contactor. Just for the record, I've had an M12000 since 2002 on the front of my 80 and it's been 100% reliable. I think in most cases, reliability boils down to solenoids, remotes and wiring. But knowing Warn has spare parts available to fix nearly any winch they've ever sold is enough for me.

I was so close to buying a Warn Andy, i really was. After reading a 25 page thread on the "improved" harbor freight winch i decided to give it a shot. If/when this one burns up i will for sure get the M12000 and move on.

HAs anyone mounted a 12-s zeon in an 80 series arb bumper? What additional kits/parts are needed from Warn for control box relocation and where did you put it? Thank you.

Warn Industries - Rigging Accessories for Jeep, Truck & SUV Winches: ZEON Relocation Cover

Warn Industries - Jeep, Truck & SUV Winches: ZEON 10-S

It depends on where you want to put the control box. Up on top of the bumper? Get PN 89970 (w/mounting bracket). If you want to move it under the hood, you'll need the long kit (PN 89960).

FYI, all of the ZEON winches (8, 10, 12) are the same size.

Andy

I just put a 10-s on my 62. It's a tight fit and the bumper had to be modified slightly. The instal shop said they have had to modify just about all the bumpers a bit to fit. But once in it looks great. I haven't had a chance to put it to real use yet.

image.jpeg

I just put a 10-s on my 62. It's a tight fit and the bumper had to be modified slightly. The instal shop said they have had to modify just about all the bumpers a bit to fit. But once in it looks great. I haven't had a chance to put it to real use yet.

View attachment 1420318

I won the raffle on an 8-S.

Going to install it on my FJ60 ARB BULL BAR

That looks great.. is that a 4+ bumper?

Would like some feedback from actual users? How is it working? This seems interesting.

• Remote Controlled Clutch is engaged and disengaged with the Advanced Wireless Remote. The remote controls winch-in, winch-out, and freespool operations. The manual clutch has been eliminated. No more re-engaging a manual clutch, with frozen fingers while standing in the mud.
  • The Advanced Wireless Remote gives you total control in the palm of your hand, allowing you to control the winch and up to two accessories. This sophisticated, advanced remote provides operator feedback on vehicle battery charge and winch motor temperature, controls operation of the winch clutch, and more. Includes USB charging cable and car charger adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom