New Trail Rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Battle Wagon isn't going to get cannibalized or compromised for the new rig.
BTW the Battle Wagon is back on the road again many months after a machinist lost the axles I gave him to work on.

I've been planning and accumulating for the past year or so for a new lighter, nimbler trail rig.

Found the exact truck I wanted. A 94 2WD Xtra Cab, a 2.3 Turbo SVO engine and parts to build Cruiser/hybrid axles

T-CL-2a.jpg
T-CL-2e.jpg

Last edited:
The plans for a light weight mini on 38's slightly changed as I ran into some deals on other parts.

First a set of used D60 axles with all, and I mean ALL the goodies narrowed to 63" and 61". P
60GEDC0442 em.jpg
60GEDC0445 em.jpg
erfect for a Mini

Then the 2002 Chevy Z71 donor truck. A fiend convinced me a V8 was the way to go by giving me this truck.
Not perfect as the 5.3 had three thrown rods. The truck was good for the wiring harness, computer, transmission and I cut the firewall trans.
tunnel out of it.

My first time ever tearing into one of these LS/Vortec engines. I can see why they are so popular. What a bell built, designed, light but strong engine. I was impressed.
W-CL-5-BB.jpg 5.3 GEDC0448 em.jpg 5.3 GEDC0462 em.jpg 5.3 GEDC0467 em.jpg

Mike in Orlando hooked me up with a set of five 40" MTR's
Sold enough parts off the Chevy truck to buy another 5.3 with 87K miles out of a 2002 Tahoe.
MTR-bb.jpg 5-3-em.jpg

Old 22RE pulled, truck in staging for new engine.

I haven't started a build thread because it doesn't fit in anywhere. R.I.P. Florida Cruiserheads and FATT Shack.
I might post up
Red wo eng bb.jpg
at Pirate when more progress is made.

It fits here!

Subscribed!

Look forward to seeing it on the trails in the future.

Lots of test fitting. Engine, transmission and transfer sitting in there. Now test fitting the front axle and figuring out the links.

It appears some fender trimming will need to be done.
fe-02-bb.jpg
fe-04-bb.jpg
fe-05-bb.jpg
fe-06-bb.jpg

Just let the rocks trim the fenders for you ;)

Sure, Stop by anytime.

It doesn't look like much progress, but I've been spending an enormous amount of time positioning, measuring and repositioning over and over.
Finally got the motor mounts and tranny mounts done and engine is sitting where there's room for both suspension, driveshaft and exhaust.
The engine is sitting a ways back now. The front suspension will be 4 link.
floor1-bb.jpg floor2-b.jpg floor3-bb.jpg
Got the front axle stripped down now and making a truss and link mounts and working on interior floor and firewall.

Dual triangulated or parallel? Seems like you'd need to have a pretty high lift to clear a dual triangle.

Dual triangulated.
Normally there would have to be lots of lift, but with the engine moved back into the firewall, that changes everything. The upper links come up nice and high between the engine and frame. The only compromise is the upper link separation at the axle will have to be 11" which isn't perfect, but not bad either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom