New to site. 1st crawler build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys my name is Cody and I am new to this forum. I am picking up a 83 Toyota pick up 5speed solid axel and plan on making it a crawler. I am planning on going leafs on all four corners. I am not concerned on driving it on the road at all. I have a few questions on what my best path is for stearing. What knuckles and so forth. I have quite a bit of fab skills I've built a couple desert trucks but never a crawler. Also what is the best way to get the truck as wide as possible with still running Toyota axels? Also any help with what not to buy and what to buy would be great as far as cross members and leafs and shocks. I'm looking a the trail gear dual trans case adapter any thoughts on that?

Welcome to 'Mud. As for knuckles, what size tires are you thinking of running? Most do a 5th stud mod and ARP studs. As for trail gear if you're going to get a dual case adapter go with either Marlin or Inchworm. They are more expensive but they're the ones who truly built them adapter. TG just copied it. For making it wider you could swap in an IFS rear axle and either do IFS hubs up front or spacers. All depends on where you live and what the laws say (Utah says spacers are illegal).

I am shooting to run a 37-38 tire. Thanks for the info on the dual adapter I would rather spend a little more than have to do it twice. What year ifs rear axle would be wider than the stock 83 model. My only concern with spacers is them breaking on me any thoughts on that or any brand you would trust with such a large tire and the stress of crawling. Also I was wondering what brand gears and what gear rasio to run. Would a fully manual Detroit locker work for crawling or shoul I got with a air or electrical assist locker?

I've been doing my research and just wanted some opinions on weather to go leafs in the front or do link suspension. Is the cost and fab time rly worth it or is there leafs out that that can get you close to the same articulation.

I'd go for a grizzly over Detroit. Less likely to break when you snap an axle shaft. But selectable is the best way to go. There's times where you don't want the lockers on when climbing. For gears it really depends on the final crawl ratio you want. As for IFS rear end anything after 86 will be 3" wider then the 83 rear axle. And that 1.5" can make a difference on the rims and tires you can run.

Here's another good place to start reading about things, Toyota 4x4 Tech Articles | Roundforge another great tool is if you need to find info, like the knuckles. You could type into Google "Best set up for Toyota knuckles Pirate4x4" and it'll bring up a ton of info. Or you can use the custom search excabswap made over on the Marlin Crawler forum which is: Google Custom Search

Oh great man thanks a lot this was a huge help. Also thanx for the links man I'm excited to get this project going. Will put pics up asap

Wider with toy axles. You didnt give a budget or anything..... So.. FJ80 axles. 63" ish wms vs 55"ish on your pre ifs axles. Pro's widest front toy solid axle. Larger 9.5" rear ring gear. Front axle is a High pinion 8" beefy housings. Factory lockers available. larger birfs then mini axles too. High steer and beefy knuckles from hellfire fab.

Steering. Most use a IFS Steering box to upgrade the steering. It can also be set up for hydro assist.

Lockers. I value being able to turn. I like a selectable in the front in the rear its your choice.

Crawler adapter. I use inchworm's old style adapter. it uses toy bearings that I can get anyplace. Im not sure what they use now. Id buy TG over marlin simply because Marlin has major supply isues. Ive seen things be out of stock for a year or more on backorder. Not cool. Great guy and products but you may be out of luck when that fancy double roller bearing needs replaces.

Yes MC can not have things for a while. But it's not enjoyable to have your t-case adapter going out a lot due to cheap bearings. If you're that worried go with inchworm.

Im not sure on my budget for the build yet. Im also use to going fast in pre-runners big whoops big jumps. Im rly just wanting to do a budget build and get into the sport and see if I enjoy it. After that im not afraid to throw money at it lol. Im rly just looking to get about 4k into it with nice tires and test the waters on crawling ya know.

Wider with toy axles. You didnt give a budget or anything..... So.. FJ80 axles. 63" ish wms vs 55"ish on your pre ifs axles. Pro's widest front toy solid axle. Larger 9.5" rear ring gear. Front axle is a High pinion 8" beefy housings. Factory lockers available. larger birfs then mini axles too. High steer and beefy knuckles from hellfire fab.

Steering. Most use a IFS Steering box to upgrade the steering. It can also be set up for hydro assist.

Lockers. I value being able to turn. I like a selectable in the front in the rear its your choice.

Crawler adapter. I use inchworm's old style adapter. it uses toy bearings that I can get anyplace. Im not sure what they use now. Id buy TG over marlin simply because Marlin has major supply isues. Ive seen things be out of stock for a year or more on backorder. Not cool. Great guy and products but you may be out of luck when that fancy double roller bearing needs replaces.
What are you running on for a front axel? Is it worth going to links right off the bat or are leafs up front decent enough to crawl? Like I said im just trying out the sport.

It's a narowed Fj80 axle down to 59.5" to match my tacoma rear axle 60" and keep it pa road legal. I'm 3 linked in the front using 16" travel orI struts. Im only at 2.5" of lift. I did a tone of cutting to fit 36's and keep it low. Leafs will make a good crawler. There the tried and true way to go. It's more $ and work to do a link setup but it will out preform the leafs.

Yeah I have built many link set ups but it is a lot of work aND much more expensive. Im going to start with the leafs all the way around and if I fall in love with crawling then I will go links and coilovers and bypasses. But for now just a budget beater with the mojority of the money in lockers and trans case. Just to get a feel for it and see what I can break hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom