New tires in need of a lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So this is my first post on ih8mud forums... Happy to be here..... Now that that's out of the way.... I just switched from 33x10.5 bf Goodrich to 31x10.5s. I was ok with the 33's but the 31's are more practical.. Besides the feeling of imminent catastrophe at speeds over 40mph, the 33s gave me that feeling of top heaviness... Please keep in mind that I just dragged this thing out of the shed after 12 yrs sitting. I've never really seriously considered modifying it until now. Anyways on to my question... I've read dozens of posts asking for lifts to match new 33's, but how about a lift for 31s? Something reasonable that my girlfriend can still climb into. I'd post a picture of my fj if I knew how to:confused:

Welcome!

Do you see an 'attach' button, to the right of 'post reply', when you reply to this? Click 'attach file', pick the photo you want to attach, click 'close', the photo will appear below your reply box. Click 'full image', next to the picture, and it will appear wherever your cursor is in your reply...

Post a picture that shows your 40, with your 31x10.5s.

It sounds like you might be saying you want to lower it... But, not entirely sure...

So this is my first post on ih8mud forums... Happy to be here..... Now that that's out of the way.... I just switched from 33x10.5 bf Goodrich to 31x10.5s. I was ok with the 33's but the 31's are more practical.. Besides the feeling of imminent catastrophe at speeds over 40mph, the 33s gave me that feeling of top heaviness... Please keep in mind that I just dragged this thing out of the shed after 12 yrs sitting. I've never really seriously considered modifying it until now. Anyways on to my question... I've read dozens of posts asking for lifts to match new 33's, but how about a lift for 31s? Something reasonable that my girlfriend can still climb into. I'd post a picture of my fj if I knew how to:confused:
fj40.JPG

Great looking 40!

So, it had 33s on it, with no different lift than what the picture shows? Did they hit the rear fenders?

The cheapest way I know to lift the rear is to add air bags... I installed BOSS bags and am able to air up or down as the mood strikes me. They cost $329, with free shipping and no sales tax, and were very simple to install. If you are interested in pursuing that route, check slocruisers.com.

I'm sure others will chime in with other, more common, lift suggestions.

Nice looking ride. For 31s, I would imagine any 1.5 - 2" kit would get you what you need without being too high. for the girl friend. I have a 3" lift with 33s and no clearance issues. If your springs are good, you might even be able to get away with lift shackles. But if it has been sitting that long, I would go with new springs as well.

THE SOFTEST RIDE will be with a shackle lift. ALL replacement springs are stiffer than stock.

Are the 33s available?

31 x 10.50's fit with no lift just fine if the rear fenders are cut for flares. The 68 in my garage is set up like that and so was my first 77. Without cutting the fenders I would think even with longer shackles they might hit from time to time. Or of course any kind of spring lift will likely be so stiff it won't hit ever.

My '75 has a shackle lift and runs 31x10.50x15 with cut outs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom