New Tire? Goodyear Wrangler Authority A/T (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is what I found out from the Wal-Mart stuff:
Plies:
Tread: 2 Polyester + 2 Steel + 2 Nylon
Sidewall: 2 Polyester

Sizes:
31x10.50R15C
LT225/75R16E
LT235/85R16E
LT245/75R16E
LT265/75R16C
LT265/75R16E
LT245/75R17E
LT265/70R17C
LT265/70R17E

How loud are these? What kind of mileage do you get?

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Just ran across these myself at Wally World. Wondered what they were, Googled, and found a link to this thread. :rolleyes:

(Borrowed pics):
2e1g6y1.jpg
GYWRANGAUTH.jpg

goodyear wrangler authorities

How loud are these? What kind of mileage do you get?

I have these on my truck and they are actually a lot louder than i thought they would be. they arent that loud until the 60+mph range. and as for gas mileage i havent noticed any decrease in my gas mileage, and i got the 31's which my truck had like 29's stock

cooper stt is a much better pick.True MT, quiter than the wally tire, comes in a 285 and can be had for around $180. This tire is awsome in the snow and mud!

4x4_tyres_cooper_stt_new_.jpg

cooper stt is a much better pick.True MT, quiter than the wally tire, comes in a 285 and can be had for around $180. This tire is awsome in the snow and mud!

The 285 size is a load range D tire. What kind of Toyota are you running it on? Probably OK on a Landcruiser but not on my 4runner.

<BTW> I just saw the Goodyear Authority @ Wally today. I was instantly attracted to the tread design, but then I noticed that it has a two ply sidewall. That's not much for an offroad rig I think.-- Matt

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I priced 5 of the 265/75R16 at Walmart last night, and it came to $897.

The gal at the tire counter suggested I try Sam's Club for better sizing options - I'd be all over these if they were available in a 255/85R16.

goodyear authority tires 265-75-16

I have these on my 06 2500HD diesel, this is what I have noticed. the tires are almost quiet to 65 mph on the speedo. actual speed 69, then they begin a hum that requires just one click on the radio volume as compensation. the tires make me feel as though they are not as stable in turns as the firestone transforce that i had on the truck. these tire make for an oversteer feel that forces you to turn away from the turn and then back into it. it feels like a soft sidewall. traction is great off road, they are new and are picking up rocks that tend to hang on even at 100mph. we had unbelievable rain the day after i put these on my truck, they did great at 90mph. I am waiting for snow to see if they will do as well as i think they will. for the average joe these tires will be great and you will never reack the hum zone, traction will be good, lane changes may or may not be a spongy feel to you depending on your speed and how fast you change lanes. everyone who sees these tires admires their look.

Wal-Mart issues aside, I fully agree with avoiding proprietary tires made for retailers, even when made by national manufacturers. Bought some NTB/sears specific Yokohamas to replace real Yok's. and regretted it.

another "found this thread on google"

With winter coming in, I needed street/wet tires to swap for the ProComp muds on our old Explorer. The old set of street tires was worn BFG AT KO's and I'd initially planned to replace those - haven't run any AT but KO's for years. HOWEVER, they must be on allocation or something in 31x10.5-15 since the quotes I got were pretty scary.

I'd seen the Wranglers when I went to wally world in Aug for shotgun shells, they had ONLY 31's on their sheet, I was pleased to see extensive siping and a deep cleat. I broke down and went to WalMart.com, $165 for the BFG's vs. $130 for the Goodyears.

That's basically $155 more for a set of 4 tires, enough to make me stop and say, gee, are the BFG's really 25% better than these? $601.xx out the door (tire disp, stems, mount & balance), no stupid warranty and no grief about it from the desk. Probably helped I brought the wheels in the bed of my Ranger and dropped them off overnight.

Driving AT's after mud's is like a sensory deprivation chamber, but I ran them at 75+ on the freeway last week and they're nice and quiet and ride very well. Given how aggressive looking they are I'm a little surprised, for the money I'm happy. I put the stock BFG's back on the H2 at the same time and they seem louder than the Wranglers.

As for running muds instead, the whole point is that street tires are sometimes preferred for the street, muds SUCK on pavement in the rain, and a lot of times in the snow and sand compared to less aggressive tires. The flexibility of AT's is a good thing. That's why you have MT's on a separate set of wheels, right?

Regards,
Brian in CA

This was the response I got from Goodyear when I asked for the specs on the tires.

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 1144 East
Market Street Akron, OH 44316 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #: 330.796.6829

Dear Chris,

Thank you for contacting our web site and for thinking of Wrangler
Authority A/T tires for your vehicles tire needs.

The Wrangler Authority A/T is what we refer to as a "co-brand" tire. It is
manufactured exclusively for Wal Mart and its subsidiaries. It is
marketed, sold, and warranted solely by Wal Mart. The tires on our web
site are the "broad market" tires that can be found at all authorized
Goodyear retailers.

For additional information about the Wrangler Authority A/T please contact
your nearest Wal Mart automotive service center or their Customer
Assistance Center at (800)925-6278.

Sincerely,
Sue Lemmon
Consumer Relations

I was admiring these the other day as well! Thanks for the info

I was admiring these the other day as well! Thanks for the info

I got some on 01/01/10 and have had them off-road and on the freeway, highway, street, etc... The biggest thing I have noticed was the gas mileage. Oh, the ride and handling is as nice as any all terrain tire, but I filled my tank up on Saturday (just before our trail run) and I have only used 1/4 of a tank. I drive it every day (a minimum of 10 miles), in stop and go traffic. My 4Runner has a 5 speed manual transmission. So far, I strongly recommend these tires for anyone who is into moderate, or easier trails and drives their rig every day.

This opinion may change after a month or 2. :steer:

NewTires01-01-2010003.jpg

Just put 4 of these wranglers 31" on my FJ40 (135$ each)

The kids at walmart havent got a clue, They ripped the bead on two new tires i was laughing as Iwatched them.
But the best was watching them take of the really tight hubcaps, they tried locking the hubs thinking it would disingage the hubcaps:eek:

One problem, now my brake pedal is pulsing a little bit when I use the brake, This would be from the balancing being off, Right?

They were nice kids and gave me there 10% employee discount!

I work at Wal-mart in there TLE and i Have never sold the tire nor have i put any on. Wal-mart will not sell you a tire that is not in their fitment guide. It is a really soft rubber and i wouldnt trust it. I Have Firestone MTs on my truck and I got 40K on them and they are still at 10/32. Rotation is Key to keeping any MT in good shape.

I make a very strong effort to never buy anything from walmart,,Have you watched the movie "the high cost of low prices" That being said I am currently running supertech full syn in both cars

I buy my Mobil 1 there. Do you think they formulate it differently for Wal-Mart?

Going on 6 months and 2 oil changes later and they still look like new!

I had to get new rims. Those black ones were too fugly!

NewTires01-01-2010010.jpg

Those chunks of missing tread block on the shoulder lugs don't look like new. Have you wheeled them a lot? and in what conditions?

They look just like the Duratracs to me...

Edit: Ok, slightly different, but same general idea:
129_0908_13_z+4x4_truck_tire_tech+goodyear_wrangler_duratrac.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom