New Seat Belts: Functional Options -- What Do You Like? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
So, looking to replace ‘95 FZJ80’s first and second row seat belts w/ all hardware including retractors. I research everything to death (no pun intended)—and there are more options out there than one might think. Before finalizing, I thought I’d run it past the Brain Trust and see what the general consensus is on this.

Note: Stock belts lock when retractors are off-level, which can be annoying when off-road and you need to twist around or stick your head out the window, or both. Options for new belt retractors are:

These options are available for front AND second rows. (Haven’t asked about 3rd.)

1 (Stock)—lock up when off-level, and on sudden deceleration when pulled out fast (anyone have the G figure on this?).

2 (Dual Sensitive)—lock up when ~15 degrees off-level, or when being pulled out at 0.7G [G FIGURE CORRECTED]

3 (Web Sensitive Only)—does not lock up at all by going off-level, regardless of angle; locks up when being pulled at 0.3G [G FIGURE CORRECTED]

A (Tri-Lock)—CAN BE ADDED TO 2 OR 3 ABOVE (aftermarket): by pulling the belt all the way out and then releasing it, you cause it to lock up snugly, keeping you in position. When you don't do this, the belt still acts as specced above.

Options 2, 3, and A meet and exceed the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, section 209 (FMVSS-209, the section involving seat belts). Not sure about 1, only because I’m not sure offhand how old that standard is.

For me, it’s a DD 95% on-road miles / 5% off and (for the most part) no radically dangerous terrain I can see in time to avoid. At first glance, I’m thinking 2A or 3A. My only concern would be--in a slow-motion rollover or roll-onto-side (particularly if not caused by impact and at very low speed) with 3A—would that pull the belt out at 3Gs? (There’s a reason for off-level lockup…) Have this Q into the mfr now and they say it keeps you in place; will post update when I get details on how...

UPDATE: Both 2 and 3 above will lock-up on rollover, even if it's a slo-mo rollover.

What's your usage and preference?

Last edited:

typed up earlier but died on system upgrade

Looking to replace mine (300K) as they don't retract (tension) when not in use. Wondering more on costs and other options to purchase (different vendors) as OEM price $150+
otherwise #2, #3 as stock can be a pain when off-camber

typed up earlier but died on system upgrade

Looking to replace mine (300K) as they don't retract (tension) when not in use. Wondering more on costs and other options to purchase (different vendors) as OEM price $150+
otherwise #2, #3 as stock can be a pain when off-camber

Don't have prices yet; they're still looking at attachment points / measurements / photos.

Apparently, ALL '93-'97 front seats use the same belts and on-seat attachment points and retractors, and the same is true of the 2nd Row seats (though there may differences in the stock retractors there). '91-'92 had floor-mounted buckles up front. Should finalize things soon; will update.

Meanwhile--what are your thoughts / preferences on the options above?

subbed. option 3 in oak please

i need to replace them in my 91.. SUBD
I which case I THINK that the belt system will be the same, save for the floor attachments up front. Any chance you can snap a few pictures of those for me to pass on?

Last edited:
Our fronts are getting tired, but still serviceable. Rears don't matter right now, but could be a factor in the future if the 2nd row goes back in. No plans for 3rd.

Option 2 is most interesting, but since not needing them yet, this is only an expression of future interest at the moment.

To be clear, I'm not selling these. I want them in my truck so I'm consulting with an American manufacturer to nail down specs / options on an 80 setup, which they've not done before. Another American mfr told me flat-out, they have no setup for this vehicle and no plans to do one. (Not enough volume, I'm guessing.) At any rate, once I'm done, there should be a handy P/N (or several) for anyone else who's interested.

Last edited:
I'm interested to see what you come up with. I personally like 3A, for those of us who have kids in car seats, being able to lock the belt at a specified point is really nice.

The safest belt for the front seat that is easily installed.--Any way to install middle second row shoulder belt?

Option 2

2 for Front Passenger, 3 for Front Driver, 2A for rears would be my preference.

I don't want the driver belt to lock up with camber - it makes things difficult when offroad. Other seats can though because passengers generally don't need to move as much as the driver when going over obstacles. The rears should have the manual locking option so that car seats can be installed properly.

I don't want the driver belt to lock up with camber - it makes things difficult when offroad. Other seats can though because passengers generally don't need to move as much as the driver when going over obstacles. The rears should have the manual locking option so that car seats can be installed properly.
Most folks here don't seem to care for the A option, even though it has no effect on function when not engaged. I can't see any reason NOT to go with A in all positions. Any thoughts on that?

Good point on the driver belt. I like your reasoning.

A is certainly handy when trying to carry things (kids, odd shaped cargo) in a seat. I would honestly go with 3A DS & 2A PS/Rear

Most folks here don't seem to care for the A option, even though it has no effect on function when not engaged. I can't see any reason NOT to go with A in all positions. Any thoughts on that?
lm not small people. I pull my belt sometimes all the way out. Then tighten and adjust from there, I have about 6 inches of belt to move around with. So if these new belts are the stock length they will ratchet tight on me all the time, very inconvenient. That function really has no place in the front seat of a vehicle. That function is designed for child seats in the back rows.

While on the subject... can we get longer belts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom