New Rules for Classic auto emissions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This does not appear to be a "legitimate" response. States have regional EPAs, who then report to, and negotiate with, the federal EPA. There's no way the federal EPA (Obama) responded to the ADEQ request in this matter. If anything, we're getting railroaded by California's strict emissions policies, because the air around Phoenix is quickly starting to resemble Los Angeles... :rolleyes:

State and Territorial Environment Agencies | US EPA

I believe someone chose to make this a political issue...

I say we retaliate by removing our catalytic converters for 11 months of the year! Who's with me? :clap:

Thought I would give you an update and share a happy ending.

My tags are due and I did not want to keep running collectors insurance. No offense but I was always concerned that it would leave me high and dry if I had a claim. Since the new laws will not effect my ’74 any time soon, I was going to take her in for normal emissions. I was all set to tune down the carb, and pour in some alcohol in the gas tank, then I was talking with my 16 year old son the morning I was going to test and I told him my plan, and he said good luck…..later that morning I started thinking, I just told my son that I was planning to circumvent a law.

I know emission laws are a pain in the ars, and I am sure I am still violating a ton of them with disconnected lines or parts missing, but they are current binding statutes and I thought what am I modeling for my son? My faith in Jesus instructs me that if I can be trusted in the small things I will be trusted in the large things so I had a change of heart. Without changing a thing on the FJ40 I pulled into line at the testing station said a little prayer and waited.

Passed first time with no problem. I shared the story with my son and made sure he knew why I changed plans. Any way thought I would share a happy ending.

Way to go! Congratulations:clap:

My tags are due and I did not want to keep running collectors insurance. No offense but I was always concerned that it would leave me high and dry if I had a claim. Since the new laws will not effect my ’74 any time soon, I was going to take her in for normal emissions. I was all set to tune down the carb, and pour in some alcohol in the gas tank, then I was talking with my 16 year old son the morning I was going to test and I told him my plan, and he said good luck…..later that morning I started thinking, I just told my son that I was planning to circumvent a law.

I know emission laws are a pain in the ars, and I am sure I am still violating a ton of them with disconnected lines or parts missing, but they are current binding statutes and I thought what am I modeling for my son? My faith in Jesus instructs me that if I can be trusted in the small things I will be trusted in the large things so I had a change of heart. Without changing a thing on the FJ40 I pulled into line at the testing station said a little prayer and waited.

Passed first time with no problem. I shared the story with my son and made sure he knew why I changed plans. Any way thought I would share a happy ending.

Congrats and kudos for setting a good example:beer:

But,
This is exactly why mandates for proper equipment on non computer controlled engines is B.S.

Non functioning emissions system passes anyway. And you get the privilege of paying them to prove the point.

I passed every time for 15 years with a V8 powered FJ40 and faux equipment in place.

Testing vehicles built before OBD1 isn't about air quality.

Testing vehicles built before OBD1 isn't about air quality.

that's my point exactly - particularly when my running values are much better than they used to be on Michael's truck when it was still carbureted - I always failed on idle only

We always tell our children to "choose wisely" . In this case you did and now it means so much more. This has nothing to do with emissions testing

since when does "passing emissions regulations" qualify as some sort of moral/ethical codes?

"They" are ripping us OFF!!! who really gives a s*** about a 25+ year old vehicle by today's revolving car standards? most cars built today have an 8 year/150,000 mile expectancy before retirement. Look around your local neighborhoods, how many older cars do you see these days?

Fodder for the skeptics, http://www.theguardian.com/environm...-made-global-warming-emissions-climate-change

It's not cars destroying our global system, it's the same people making you feel like you are to blame. Carbon footprint, your cars emissions, blah, blah, blah, pay us or else!! Wake up and start teaching your kids to question EVERYTHING!!

Thanks to those who offered kudos, and to those that question the link between emissions and faith / moral questions, let me clarify. This forum is not just about great old cruisers, we share adventures, funny and heart breaking stories that go along with it all.
I was not trying to hijack the debate about merits of emission testing, just sharing a side story about a dad and his son and their faith.
Don’t get me started on Govt regulations, EPA standards, private property rights, and the such….there aint enough time or space in this forum to address all of those nightmares ( as you may note in my sig lines).

hah i pass my emissions with out a air pump or hydro carbon system but because its not there they wont pass me visually ITDFA!

What is emission testing?

What is emission testing?
Where the huddled city masses try to get processed through a maze of rules and costs.

Must be nice Dave!:steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom