New RIG buyer Sequoia,vs LX450, vs LX470 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys, I am in the market for a used rig and I stuck between a lx450, lx470 and a Sequoia 4x4 01,02 possibly an 03.
Most of the mileage I am looking at is between 175miles for the Sequoia, and 200plus for the lx470, and lx450.
I'm trying not to get hung up on the cloth vs leather interior. Considering it will be a DD, and I live in Canada where things are way overpriced I'm trying to choose between the shape and style of the LX450 which I love, but the age is killing me (like dating an over the hill supermodel), vs the pretty boy LX470, (also timeless) and the Monster look of the Sequoia.
I figure with the LX450, Sequoia I can do cool upgrades in the interior push button start, stereo etc, maybe a mild lift.
I won't mess with the LX470 too much.
I don't off road too seriously other than fire roads, and minor off the grid camping spots.

Thanks
db

There was a guy on here a few years ago that built up a Sequoia that was pretty sweet. IIRC, it was all pretty much cutsom - but none-the-less a sweet rig.

Try posting in the 80 or 100 section, hardcore corner is probably not the best place to get any answers...

But my vote would be 100/lx470 if you're not doing any serious off roading

<Hijack, making this Hardcore forum related.>

So, SAS a 100 series/LX470
vs​
V8 swap an LX450.

(sorta dreaming here).

I've been researching 2 possibilities.
This would be something to replace my Tacoma (long range expo rig) AND my FJ40 (purpose built rock crawler).

Option 1. Solid Axle swap a 100 series.
I'd have a custom axle built. 609 style. For a rig that heavy, I just don't want to $@#$ around with the 80 series front end parts. Just call up <Insert Vendor> and tell them what I want. It might be tough to find someone who can make custom tone rings in order to maintain the ABS. 35 splines, ARB air locker, cromo axleshafts. Not sure what U-joints to go with as the 100 is full time 4WD so I'd need something that is strong, but serviceable.

Option 2. V8 swap an 80 series.
I'd just order a connect and cruiser LS3 crate engine and transmission from summit racing.
Easy swap, well known, standalone wiring harness and transmission control

Ready?
GO!

I like the seqoias. They are simple, have good power, and don't have a lot of bells and whistles like a 470 that you must buy dealer only replacement parts for big money. 450s are cool but usually need a ton of work to get back up to speed as many have now suffered years of neglect and frankly seems overkill for what you want. Get a sequia, put some 2.5 inch coil spacers in, bigger tires, a winch, a roof rack, and go have fun.

I like the seqoias. They are simple, have good power, and don't have a lot of bells and whistles like a 470 that you must buy dealer only replacement parts for big money. 450s are cool but usually need a ton of work to get back up to speed as many have now suffered years of neglect and frankly seems overkill for what you want. Get a sequia, put some 2.5 inch coil spacers in, bigger tires, a winch, a roof rack, and go have fun.
Thanks man, I'm really leaning towards the Sequoia it just seems like I'd get more leg room for the cargo I'll be hauling and maybe better pricing on parts down the road.

I appreciate the help

Bringing this back from the grave...I find myself in the exact same boat I would love to get back into a landcruiser (or lexus equivalent), but likely will only be able to afford a GX or Sequoia...wondering if the OP made a choice and how he feels about it now that some time has passed...

I've driven 2 Sequoias (2006) over the last 6 years.

They are versatile vehicles and big enough for a family on longer trips.

The only reason I have one instead of a 100 series cruiser is because of the extra room with the age and size of my family.

I also drove a 1999 100 series cruiser previously. There is a distinct difference in the build quality of the 2 vehicles.

While the Sequoia is built better than a Tahoe or Explorer, it is no Landcruiser in my opinion.

The Sequoia is great for so many reasons mentioned. If you knew you would never need extra storage space and wanted a strong aftermarket for offroading then a 100 series would be great. Since don't want that I like the Sequoia. As good or better mileage, extra space, etc. The Sequoia is NOT the same as an LC, diff. rods, axles, case, etc, but is still superior to anything of comparable size.

I went through the same thing last year. I really wanted the lx470 but ended up with an 05 Sequoia because I couldn't find a lx in the condition I wanted within my price range. Love the sequoia but I'm still keeping an eye out for a steal on an lx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom