New Mexico Pig Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yep, bumper is from Bump It Offroad. Mike did great job! I had to do very little tweaking to bolt it on.

Question, after watching my wife haul herself up and in the passenger seat, I need to start thinking about a step or running board/slider that I can use? I don't plan on any heavy wheeling, so sliders are a bit of overkill, but maybe that's my only option. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If you want Mike to build you some step sliders, I can let him measure my Pig for production. He has some nice ones on his 100. I would want to wait until the snow (and mag chloride) are off the roads. I heard rumor you guys got some snow in ABQ?

I had a productive weekend for once. I just posted some photos of the rear 3-point seat belt install on the seat belts thread. I also, finally, finished installing the sound system for the pig. I went with a unit from Restomod. The main reason for this particular set up was that it fit in the old factory radio slot without having to modify the opening. I also like the old retro style of the radio. This is the Hermosa model that has more features than I will probably ever use. It also allowed me to locate the unit in my tuffy box, while putting the controls in the stock location. This allows me to store my mp3, iPod, or flash drive in the box. Here is some photos of the set up:

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0005_2.JPG
IMG_0001_2.JPG
IMG_0001_3.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG

I just posted up some pics in my caster angle question thread, but thought I'd give some updates here as well. I've been driving the pig every chance I get, but still trying to address various issues, lots of tweaking of things here and there. My dad, has jokingly commented that I'm trying to make it ride and run like a new vehicle, which at times he might be right.

Anyway, the pig was running a little lean, so I sized up the jets in the carb. Still playing around with that.

I tried to put the spare tire underneath in its stock location, but couldn't because of the old exhaust system. That was a perfect excuse to replace the exhaust and play around with welding stainless steel. I don't own a tig welder, though now in hindsight that would have been a good excuse to buy one, so I used a mig. The one good thing is that it's up under the rig and not in plain sight.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

So after getting the exhaust re-routed, I tried to install the spare and discovered that the hand crank was too short because of the new bumper. I made and extension for it, kind of a pain to use, but it works.

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

Here's a few more pics after the new OME setup. I didn't get any during the swap out and rear hanger relocation. Only a few f-bombs were dropped during the process. While cutting off the u-bolts, I also cut through one of the brake lines:bang:. Once the back was done, the front was a piece of cake.
IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

My wife found the sticker while we were on a ski trip for spring break. The pig didn't make the trip, but hopefully next year.

The exhaust looks good. It takes a lot of work to get it right and not leak and holly cow the pictures of the wagon are great! Beautiful example of what they should look like.

I guess it's time for the LV. :)

Thanks Ron,
I actually copied your exhaust set up .

As far as the LV goes, I'm going wait until I can tear down my old garage and build as big of a shop as my lot size will allow. No more working and painting in a temporary carport tent:).

The shop sounds like a good plan. Mine is only a 30x48, but I love being out there. I hope you didn't get the same muffler as me. Mine's coming out Wed. and a hopeful quitter one goes in. Mine sounds like an old cherry bomb muffler.

The shop sounds like a good plan. Mine is only a 30x48, but I love being out there. I hope you didn't get the same muffler as me. Mine's coming out Wed. and a hopeful quitter one goes in. Mine sounds like an old cherry bomb muffler.

I could only dream that my shop will be that big. These city lots are small. 20 x 35 is about all I can get here. That's easily double what I have now though.

I bought a magna flow muffler. With the cat it's not too bad, maybe a little louder. If it were by itself, I'd probably be cutting it out for something quieter.

Here's a few more pics after the new OME setup. I didn't get any during the swap out and rear hanger relocation. Only a few f-bombs were dropped during the process. While cutting off the u-bolts, I also cut through one of the brake lines:bang:. Once the back was done, the front was a piece of cake.
View attachment 1248178
View attachment 1248179
View attachment 1248180
View attachment 1248181

My wife found the sticker while we were on a ski trip for spring break. The pig didn't make the trip, but hopefully next year.

Looks fantastic.

Did you change out all 4 leaf springs? Where did you get the kit, and which one? Cruiser Outfitters? I've been contemplating that hit that relocates the rear spring hangar. And did you add any shims front and/or rear?

Everything looks buttoned up and squared away - nice!

I can't wait to re-route the exhaust. The system that is on there now came from the 3FE donor Pig. I was pretty broke then, so it was a no-brainer whether I used the existing exhaust vs. paying for a new one...

Thanks Pablo, That is a 33" spare by the way. If you take on buying and welding up the exhaust system, you'll save a lot.

Did you change out all 4 leaf springs? Where did you get the kit, and which one? Cruiser Outfitters? I've been contemplating that hit that relocates the rear spring hangar. And did you add any shims front and/or rear?

Thank you!
Yes, all new springs from Cruiser Outfitters. They sell a OME kit specifically for the 55's. No shims for the rear. My pinion angle was good back there. For my set up in the front, I have a 4 degree shim and a perfect pinion angle. It did push my caster angle to 3 degrees though, but the steering tracks a lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom