New Mexico Pig Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I probably should have started this thread back in April, but the intimidation factor was very high. I was reading Pathfinder's thread and it really got me thinking, so here it goes. I picked up this 77 pig in Batesville, AR. Believe it or not, my wife found it on craigslist by her own doing. So this is all her fault. Anyway, I pretty much bought this sight unseen, except for a few photos, so this was very much an impulse buy. Keep in mind also that I had no idea that this forum existed at the time, otherwise I would have probably avoided the buyers remorse that followed.
The plan went as follows, fly to Little Rock, rent a car, pick up the pig, and drive it back to Albuquerque, NM. Luckily my wife works for the airlines, so my dad and I were able to fly standby. That was the only part where I saved any money.
Without revealing the amount that I paid for this, let's just say double what it was worth, for some of you maybe triple, I had the most severe case of buyers remorse that first day. If it hadn't been for my dad, I probably would have parked it on the side of the road and hitch a ride back to NM. The time we spent together on that trip was worth more to me than any amount of money that I spent to buy the thing. All in all we made it back to NM with no problems, except a severe head wind and a throttle linkage that came loose a few times. Here are some photos of the original rig. Also my dad shot a photo of me and how we dealt with the terrible road noise for the entire trip. I'll post more photos to show its current state.

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

I'm sure all of you can relate. After crawling under, over, and all around the rig I realized that I was in over my head. That's when I discovered you all and this great forum. After researching other builds and the cost to repair nearly every lower body panel and support, I came to the conclusion that, with my current skill set, I could not salvage the body.

So... Off She Goes!

That last photo was an example of what I found on every lower body panel. Anywhere from a 1/4" - 1/2" of bondo over rusted metal throughout. All but one body mount and rocker frame support were rusted through.

Luckily, Jason at Cruiseryard had what I needed, a body shell off a 74 pig. Even luckier, having a brother in Austin and a dad who needed an excuse to go visit him. He even brought a trailer with him to haul the shell back to NM.

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0002_3.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

It's going to be a DD, someday. I will post more photos to show where my progress has taken me. I grew up watching my dad tinker on various projects, mostly MG's and Land Rovers. Up to now though I never took one on by myself. I'll let you all be the judge on how I'm doing.

For some reason I don't have some photos of the frame after I cleaned it up with a wire wheel, treated the rust, and painted on the POR 15. I'll take some shots tomorrow and post the after photos. Anyway, here are the before.

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0001_4.jpg

IMG_0009_2.jpg

Welcome aboard!

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing. Drove across the country and picked up a shell on a frame with a ton of boxes, full of parts and not knowing what the heck I was doing.

Only difference, I had my Wife staring at me all the way home and it wasn't one those loving kind of looks!

You'll be fine and get your Dad in on the fun, he's looking for something to do.

Rookie is the operative word for sure. Here is a couple more pics. My original plan was to get the frame rust proofed and then set the new body shell on it, but the more I poked around, I mean that literally, I realized there was a lot of repairs to be made. It's amazing how well paint can cover up rust problems. So I had to go to plan b.

IMG_0002_7.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

I want to thank Bobm again for the rocker panels. I meant to send photos of them installed to you some time ago. Better late than never. I had to modify them a bit due to the fact that the A pillars were rusted out. I ended up shaping and closing the end of the rocker panels and cutting the bottom off the pillars then welding them on top of the rockers. I hind site I should have taken more pictures on how I did it.

IMG_0001_6.jpg

IMG_0004_4.jpg

IMG_0005_3.jpg

Abqcruiser,

I like plan B. It's so much easier to stand up and work on the body. I see you're going to be calling 1-800-BOBM. :)

Looking good!

Edit: I posted too late, you already called Bob.

Right on brother! Glad you decided to post up.

I should have purchased the ear covers! My hearing has not recovered yet.

Hey Delancy, I did get the joke. I've followed your thread on your first purchase. I even made a few comments back then. I figured you could totally relate to the emotional roller coaster.

Pathfinder, I meant to meantion the ear protection when you were putting together your trip list, but you were already on the road. That was my dad's idea by the way.

Here are some pics of the bodywork. The rear corners were fun. I made a pattern out of card stock. Made cuts in the paper to form the curved corner and then traced it on the sheet metal. After cutting it out I formed it on one of those caps from a gas cylinder bottle.

IMG_0009_2.jpg

IMG_0010_2.jpg

IMG_0001_4.jpg

IMG_0002_4.jpg

IMG_0003_4.jpg

Couple more pics. The last one is in scrapdaddy's honor. I'm following your recipe for rust proofing, zero rust, lizzardskin, and monstiliner.

IMG_0005_2.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0001_6.jpg

Rookie is the operative word for sure. Here is a couple more pics. My original plan was to get the frame rust proofed and then set the new body shell on it, but the more I poked around, I mean that literally, I realized there was a lot of repairs to be made. It's amazing how well paint can cover up rust problems. So I had to go to plan b.

ROOKIE? IN A PIGS ARSE. You did a great job blending in the Rockers and also on the Rear corners. Keep us posted.

Thanks Bob.

ROOKIE? IN A PIGS ARSE. You did a great job blending in the Rockers and also on the Rear corners. Keep us posted.

Thanks Bob.

x2

want to come work on the interior of mine once your done! :)

Great work keep it up.:cool:

Man, Bob is right! that's some nice work.

Floor pan is looking good, so much easier standing up and doing all that.

One suggestion before you put down the Zero Rust. I used some of Eastwood's Internal Frame spray with a long nozzle and sprayed in all the pan support beams, body mounts, anywhere you can spray it. Then roll the body over on it's other side and spray from that side. I even drilled some more holes in the supports, just to get everything coated. It's a OD color, so you know where you got. Let it run and drip, then paint over with the Zero Rust. It will look so good after you paint it and you wouldn't have to worry about it ( for awhile, anyway ).

Keep up the good work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom