New member intro / regearing question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bump It Off-Road makes a good bumper too and they are north of Denver.

@slimbuddha - used would be great! I keep my eye out on the classified section on mud, and craigslist.

@marcfj60 - The bump it off road bumpers do look nice. The high clearance one looks good.

Our monthly breakfast meeting is this Sat, hopefully you can make it!

Hi folks. I have the new 4.56 gears broken in. I took the 80 up to the Jemez for an overnighter. My wife and I went up 550 past Cuba to Highway 96, then headed East and took Forest Road 103 to the South. Forest Rd 103 is real tame (you still feel adventurous until you meet a ford taurus). The drive is scenic though - going along the East side of the San Pedro Parks Wilderness, and seeing the source of the Rio Puerco was cool. We chose a good two track to head down that was not hardcore by any means, but enough to keep out anyone with an RV. Man, one of my favorite things about this Land Cruiser is getting into less accessible spots, pitching camp, and not seeing anyone. Beautiful. It started raining right when we found a camping spot, so it was perfect timing to deploy the new awning for the first time (aside from a driveway test), and drank a beer under cover, waiting for the rain to stop.

Anyhow, the 4.56 gears are perfect. They are exactly what I was looking for. Great on the highway, around town, and driving on a mild two track. As people said (and gear calculators hinted at) it brought me back to stock. The Lokka seems good too. I could feel it working a few times. Its not too loud around town either. We will see in the snow though. Sounds like it could be a handful. I was attracted by the $250 price though.

I appreciate everyone's input on the gear ratio choice. Thanks!

Campsite about a mile off FR 103
jemez1.jpg

On the way home on Forest Rd 10.
Jemez2.jpg

Very nice dude, I like it, I like it a LOT!!!! I can see the dollars leaping out of your wallet, warms the cockle of my heart!

When we went up to the San Antonio hot springs two weekends ago, we took a more "adventurous" route and kept expecting to see a Subaru to show up. Thankfully we didn't see one.

When we spent a few days up near Twin Lakes and Leadville in July I was surprised by how many people I saw way back in on a forest road that was in pretty bad shape. They had way bigger cajones than me, driving their Subarus, VW Vans and RAV4s in places I was going low and slow in my Cruiser. I was also blown away with how every possible camping spot had people in it and we were a good 2 1/2 hours from Denver. There are just way too many people and not enough places to get out and camp in central Colorado. We get spoiled with the low population and smaller crowds once you get off the beaten path here in NM, or even SW Co.

Very nice dude, I like it, I like it a LOT!!!! I can see the dollars leaping out of your wallet, warms the cockle of my heart!

When we went up to the San Antonio hot springs two weekends ago, we took a more "adventurous" route and kept expecting to see a Subaru to show up. Thankfully we didn't see one.
Yes, the dollars were leaping out for sure. Re-gearing was not initially planned for...

I am surprised you didn't get passed by a wrx with mud flaps on the route to San Antonio!

When we spent a few days up near Twin Lakes and Leadville in July I was surprised by how many people I saw way back in on a forest road that was in pretty bad shape. They had way bigger cajones than me, driving their Subarus, VW Vans and RAV4s in places I was going low and slow in my Cruiser. I was also blown away with how every possible camping spot had people in it and we were a good 2 1/2 hours from Denver. There are just way too many people and not enough places to get out and camp in central Colorado. We get spoiled with the low population and smaller crowds once you get off the beaten path here in NM, or even SW Co.

Oh man, I was that guy in a vw van at one point in my life. I had a '75 Westfalia van in the late 90's that I used to ask too much of sometimes. Looking back on some of those trips, I think there is a thing called luck.
CO is crowded (and over-rated?). I lived in Fort Collins for a few years. The mountains were great, but they were crowded on the weekends. I agree that we are spoiled down here. To be able to go car camping 1.5 hours from Abq. on a holiday weekend and find a spot where you don't see anyone is pretty amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom